Second Skin Audio

Need Help With A Box Design

I'm trying to figure out how to make a box, to fit behind the seats of my reg cab truck. I will end up loosing 2-4in of footroom, shouldn't be an issue.

spl12sincabbox.jpg

That is 42in wide, 25in tall, and 10in deep... gives me 6 cubes. I forgot to account for sub displacement and port displacement. I can make the box higher, but not wider or deeper.

I'm not sure how to figure out how many PVC ports (using pvc to keep the cost down) I'll need to get the proper tuning.

Mach 5's site says 3cu.ft per sub, and a tuning of 36hz. Would like to have the subs on the passenger side and port up on the drivers...

I entered the drivers parameters in WinISD, and tried to fiddle with the box and I must have made a mistake somewhere.

Subs are Mach 5 SPL-12s (2)

Edited by Gearstix

do 2.5 cubes per woofer, I usually give a 12" woofer 2 to 2.5 cubes after displacement depending on power.

in that box I would do 2 4" abs round ports firing up behind your head. I think what you have in that pic will work fine with 2 4" round abs ports

Here's a little story for you to consider. I used to have a Chevy S10, regular cab. I tried a wedge box behind the seats, for two 12"s. It sucked. I built a bigger, thicker wedge (lost leg room) and that sucked too. Started going with only 1 of the 12"s.... which almost worked.... but started blowing the single subs.

Finally I got tired of not enough leg room..... or speaker box cubes.

I decided to hack out a 10" by 40" rectangle from the back of the cab, lined up with the same size cutout at the front of the bed. I did a custom boot that came out bombastic. Never leaked a drop in 8 years of use.

Called RF back and said, "Okay..... Now tell me the airspace these subs > will do best in < instead of, what's the smallest they will work in.

I then built a nice, big, cubicle shaped box, butted it up against the front of the bed....

Hooked it all up.....

And all these years later, I still remember that the first time I cranked it up (playing Dire Straights, Money for Nothing :-) I was completely floored !

That setup worked so well, that even though I "tried" to top it, a couple of times, a few years later, I never could, and always ended up going right back to it, as it was.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

What I learned ? Little, behind the seat wedges SUCK ! If I had a reg cab, and had to have more cubes, I'd have to do another bed cutout.

Fortunately, I now have a Supercab, because it would be tough to start hacking on a brand new truck.....

Hack it ! And give yourself all the cubes you need ! (oh, you woud have to have a bedcover though..... I almost forgot that, as I always have)

Peace,

Fish

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Doh ! I just went bacxk and read your post again......

I still contend that losing even 1" of leg room sucks, but maybe your like 5' tall. I'm 6'1" and love legroom.

But I'm still tripping that you can squeeze 6 freaking cubes behind the seats of a reg cab ! What truck / year do you have ?

I have to honest, the box I built for the blow through wasn't even 6 cubes......

Hmmmmm,

Fish

Edited by Fish Chris

Here's a little story for you to consider. I used to have a Chevy S10, regular cab. I tried a wedge box behind the seats, for two 12"s. It sucked. I built a bigger, thicker wedge (lost leg room) and that sucked too. Started going with only 1 of the 12"s.... which almost worked.... but started blowing the single subs.

Finally I got tired of not enough leg room..... or speaker box cubes.

I decided to hack out a 10" by 40" rectangle from the back of the cab, lined up with the same size cutout at the front of the bed. I did a custom boot that came out bombastic. Never leaked a drop in 8 years of use.

Called RF back and said, "Okay..... Now tell me the airspace these subs > will do best in < instead of, what's the smallest they will work in.

I then built a nice, big, cubicle shaped box, butted it up against the front of the bed....

Hooked it all up.....

And all these years later, I still remember that the first time I cranked it up (playing Dire Straights, Money for Nothing :-) I was completely floored !

That setup worked so well, that even though I "tried" to top it, a couple of times, a few years later, I never could, and always ended up going right back to it, as it was.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

What I learned ? Little, behind the seat wedges SUCK ! If I had a reg cab, and had to have more cubes, I'd have to do another bed cutout.

Fortunately, I now have a Supercab, because it would be tough to start hacking on a brand new truck.....

Hack it ! And give yourself all the cubes you need ! (oh, you woud have to have a bedcover though..... I almost forgot that, as I always have)

Peace,

Fish

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Doh ! I just went bacxk and read your post again......

I still contend that losing even 1" of leg room sucks, but maybe your like 5' tall. I'm 6'1" and love legroom.

But I'm still tripping that you can squeeze 6 freaking cubes behind the seats of a reg cab ! What truck / year do you have ?

I have to honest, the box I built for the blow through wasn't even 6 cubes......

Hmmmmm,

Fish

I have a 94 GMC Sonoma.

I just don't have anywhere locally to buy that gasket. I was kinda confused on how to make the box fit the cutout, but I guess I can just go and do the cutout (I think 42" wide is the max I can go as it has a bump in the bed on one side for the filler neck., not sure about height.

I am the same height as you.

I have a fiberglass camper shell to go over the bed

I just don't know what'll happen if I go to paint the truck w/ the gasket in place. I guess it won't matter too much cause if you remove the gasket and fill the hole, when you weld the panel in, it'll burn the paint..

I would have alot more box options if I did a blowthrough like you.

Would have somewhere to mount an amp, especially if I bought a Massive P3000.1, which is over 3ft long.

Its just I've never done a blowthrough and I'm kinda worried I'm gunna foul it up.

That's a nice informative long post. AND what I told you last night gearstix!! Don't cheat yourself or your woofers by doing it 1/2 ass. There are many skilled Nov builders on here that can design you something fierce. Get some designs, get some quotes, but wood, build, and get loud!! Keep in mind you might gave to do the blow thru after building a large shallow wall or small wedge if your not happy. Do you have an amp yet??

That's a nice informative long post. AND what I told you last night gearstix!! Don't cheat yourself or your woofers by doing it 1/2 ass. There are many skilled Nov builders on here that can design you something fierce. Get some designs, get some quotes, but wood, build, and get loud!! Keep in mind you might gave to do the blow thru after building a large shallow wall or small wedge if your not happy. Do you have an amp yet??

Working on it. Looks like its gunna be a Massive 3000.

That's a nice informative long post. AND what I told you last night gearstix!! Don't cheat yourself or your woofers by doing it 1/2 ass. There are many skilled PRO builders on here that can design you something fierce. Get some designs, get some quotes, BUY wood, build, and get loud!! Keep in mind you might gave to do the blow thru after building a large shallow wall or small wedge if your not happy. Do you have an amp yet??

edited the ghey blackberry t9

-Drew

detail.gifI am a United States Military Arts and Crafts Professional. Sand it off, Paint it on. detail.gif

uhoh_45 said:
dont be a pussy P give the jeep to drew

yeah bro all good! im just saying because i dont want you to end up being one of those people constantly "in progress" changing and never finishes.

i've given you designs, as well as a few members here now your talking to gmonk which is cool as long as you pick a direction and run with it.

u know how much metal i had to cut out o my car to fit the box? :o if it sounded like shit i would be fcuked sometimes you just gotta build

-Drew

detail.gifI am a United States Military Arts and Crafts Professional. Sand it off, Paint it on. detail.gif

uhoh_45 said:
dont be a pussy P give the jeep to drew

yeah bro all good! im just saying because i dont want you to end up being one of those people constantly "in progress" changing and never finishes.

i've given you designs, as well as a few members here now your talking to gmonk which is cool as long as you pick a direction and run with it.

u know how much metal i had to cut out o my car to fit the box? :o if it sounded like shit i would be fcuked sometimes you just gotta build

-Drew

Yeah I'm thinking of just doing the cutout then designing a box around that. I know the max the cutout can be is 42" cause of the filler neck bump.