Computere Upgrade! Woohoo!

I got myself a package from the ups guy today, it came from newegg (box was a lil pounded but the millions of packing peanuts and bubble wrap ftw) :)

I got my computer 5 new fans, fan controller, and a video card :) Maybe this comming week if everything works out right Ill have a new/used processor for a decent price. :)

Pics:

My pc before upgrade

10-30-08_1103.jpg

The box of stuff that came from newegg.

evga 9800gtx ssc+, biostar p4m900 mobo socket 478, ddr2, pci-express 16, 2 gig kit of corsair xms memory, Razer mousepad, 5 quad led fans, fan speed controller, thermal past.

10-30-08_1104.jpg

A few shots of the Evga 9800gtx ssc+ (i read this thing was huge, was worried about it fitting after I ordered it), I was safe by about a inch :)

10-30-08_1107.jpg

10-30-08_1108.jpg

10-30-08_1109.jpg

Evga 9800gtx next to my Evga 7900gt CO Superclock

10-30-08_1119.jpg

10-30-08_1120.jpg

10-30-08_1121.jpg

All put back together

10-30-08_1421.jpg

With side panel

10-30-08_1422.jpg

These are some pics of my rig powered back up

This first picture is with the fans on the lowest speed (also the led's are not as bright at the slow speed).

10-30-08_1434.jpg

Fans at fast speed (its kinda hard to tell a difference the pics where taking with my cell. :(

10-30-08_1435.jpg

A shot of the tower and ram while booting

10-30-08_1436.jpg

Now here comes the next project. Gonna start on it in a little bit.

Its my moms IBM. Its kinda dated... Lol

I got here to buy all the stuff and would upgrade her pc if I could get a new video card (and id give her my old one).

She mainly plays Pogo games (she has a paid subscription).......

The Computer is kinda slow on the video side of things.

Specs

IBM Prebuilt

Windows Xp home edition

2.6mhz intel celeron socket 478

onboard video/sound/networking

pci linksys wireless card

80gig harddrive

1 gig stick of muskin pc2100 (which replaced the 512mb pc2100 stock. Stock mobo wont support more then 1gig of ram).

So the memory upgrade was the only upgrades besides the wireless card and a extra case fan I added. Lol

Plans for this thing:

Upgrade mobo to the biostar so I can use a pci express 16 card.

Upgrade ram to 2gigs corsair xms ddr2 (because thats what the new mobo supports).

Format hard drive.

Install Windows Xp Pro

Maybe a slight overclock on cpu (2.7 or 2.8mhz nothing major).

Hopefully this will bring the IBM back to life :)

A couple pix:

10-30-08_1626.jpg

10-30-08_1627.jpg

I'm liking those white LED fans better than the blue. That 9800 is a beast!!! Nice purchases.

Me too, I thought Id be a little different and try something different then blue. Change the way my room lights up in the corner a lil. :)

Havent got to mess with the card to much yet, popped in some beta drivers and they seem better then the disc drivers.

Very nice man!

I like blue :)

edit: Oh and the leds on the memory are cool too! I got 4 of them lol

I wanted the xms xpert ram at first. It actually had a led programmable display. Very pricey, but read countless reviews that it didnt overclock too well.

So I got the 2 gig kit of the XMS C2 Pro. I seen a matching kit selling on newegg.com but was just the XMS Pro, not the c2 which offered faster timming.

But of coarse newegg was out of stock so I didnt order it at all. :( I got my eye watching tho. I think 4 rows of them leds would look badd ass!! :)

2.6mhz intel celeron socket 478
Maybe a slight overclock on cpu (2.7 or 2.8mhz nothing major).

I hope its not THHHHHATTTT slow :-P

I know, I know you meant ghz

Also, I heard those celerons are overclocking beasts. Should be able to juice her up pretty nicely.

Edited by Btrash

^^^^ Nice :)

Ok, so I start tearing apart the IBM, pretty basic.

I get the mobo out

10-30-08_1721.jpg

I take the heatsink and cpu out the old mobo.

10-30-08_1728.jpg

Looking at the boards side by side. I noticed the way the heatsink attaches is different.

10-30-08_1730.jpg

I take the heatsink base off the old mobo.

10-30-08_1732.jpg

I take the heatsink base off the new mobo, and put the one on from the old mobo to use the stock cooler.

10-30-08_1738.jpg

I put the processor in the new crapstar mobo.

10-30-08_1739.jpg

I put some artic silver on the cpu, then set the heatsink on to smear it around for a even coat.

10-30-08_1748.jpg

10-30-08_1807.jpg

Go figure the front panel connections (hdd led, power led, power, reset) are all in one plug, and the plug on the new mobo is not the same. So i had to split them up.

10-30-08_1809.jpg

Got it all back together.

10-30-08_1915.jpg

Hook it all up, hit the power button....

and....

FAIL

I swap the power and reset around on the pins, thinking maybe I put them on backwords, nope.

So then I jump the pins on the mobo to turn power on, nope.

So then I say screw it, and grounded out the green pin on the 20 to 24 pin adapter, power supply turns on, the case fan, and cpu fan spins, the hard drive does not seem to turn on, nor will the drawers on both cd roms will open/close, and the monitor never gets a signal.

I dont know what else to try, I pulled the ram, still nothing, then pulled the video card. Trying to limit any possible conflicts. But gets me no where.

I knew I shouldnt of gotten this mobo there where so many other bad reviews.

:(