Computere Upgrade! Woohoo!

That mobo was probably already bad. That's the one thing I hate about buying them. Its like rolling dice.

Yea, like I said, Ive read some pretty awful reviews about them being doa.

I just havent seen any other socket 478, pci express 16x, and ddr2 boards around, so it was kind of amazing to see some crap company make one. Hopefully I find a good one.

And the bright side, theres 14 with in a 35 minute drive from me at a local computer store, tho they do cost $75. But Ill just return the bad to newegg.

I cant wait for rma's to happen. :(

Heres a night shot. Maybe its a lil better then the ones above.

10-30-08_2116.jpg

check the mounting posts to make sure they aren't hitting anything they shouldn't on the mobo... Could be the new mobo has fewer holes for these standoffs, so one is touching the actual board. Some even need the little carboard spacers on crappier boards. Try turning it on with the mobo out of the case to see if that is the issue.

Edited by Btrash

check the mounting posts to make sure they aren't hitting anything they shouldn't on the mobo... Could be the new mobo has fewer holes for these standoffs, so one is touching the actual board. Some even need the little carboard spacers on crappier boards. Try turning it on with the mobo out of the case to see if that is the issue.

I was already watching that upon installation of the new mobo. The mounting holes are all the same, both are micro atx boards. The raised pins on the computer case are pretty narrow so shouldnt be shorting out, there is more then enough clearence by the looks, more then the old ibm mobo. I was going to use the little pins that raise it up even more, but did not look needed upon installation.

But I did want to pull it out and try it like you said. Needless to say I passed out in the lazy boy and took a lil weed nap. I woke back up around 4 and did somethings, then messed with it some more.

First I take it all out, and try again with just ram and on board video.

10-31-08_0536.jpg

What?! wtf is this? Is it actually posting?

10-31-08_0535.jpg

zomg I can see the light!

10-31-08_0539.jpg

So I turn it back off, and install my old 7900gt.

10-31-08_0543.jpg

Yay windows!!!

10-31-08_0542.jpg

I dont know, maybe something was still shorting out on the board, but it looked to have a lot more clearance. It could of been a lose power connection on the 20 to 24 pin converter, or the other 4 pin connector. No idea but its working now.

I guess its time to put it all together again and see whats up. Maybe Ill try the mobo risers for even more clearance just so I can fully eliminate that as a plausible cause for not turning on.

I recently put together a 478 for my kids. I scored a Prescot for zero dollars as well as 4gb of ram. Cost me about $150.00 (case and a mobo I picked up years ago and never used). It can run pretty fast if you fuck with it. Looks cool man. You should cut a window out of the side and install some LED's.

Update: went and tried putting the risers between the mobo and the case, but they where way to tall and all the cards would be offset way to much to even fit the case. So I put the pink packaging foam that the mobo was shipped on between the mobo and case with some added electrical tape around the mounting bases in the case. I put it all back together and hit the power, and its all working.

Right now it is formatting the hard drive, getting ready for a fresh copy of windows xp pro.

This black rig is my moms old Ibm, that Im upgrading for her.

It will be slightly overclocked. Im not gonna push it hard since I wont be their to monitor how it reacts. I want it to be stable for her pogo games and what not.

I will try and see how far I can bring the p3 2.6ghz up on stock cooling and depending on how far I get it will result in my final speed I will choose. Im really hoping it will hang good on 3.0ghz. :) but I will be happy with 2.8 or 2.9ghz.

The video card is my old evga 7900 gt co superclock. pci e 16, gddr3, 256 mb of ram. Its stock coreclock is 550mhz and a 1580mhz memclock (factory oced). With rivatuner Ive reached a 625 coreclock, and 1640mhz mem clock (without volt mod or bios flash, but re-artic silvered the cpu/heatsink ). Tho in my moms computer she dont need it overclocked tho I may run riva tuner for full fan speeds 24/7.

She needs no side panel screen or any of that jazzy stuff. It looks better being a sleeper :) and on my rig, I got no need for a side panel window since its a clear acrylic case :)

I paid under $60 for the crapstar mobo, and I think I paid $30 for the 2 gigs of corsair xmx, and $6 for the artic silver. the cpu and heatsink is reused from the old mobo, and the video card is from my computer which also got upgraded today. So for under $100 this computer got a face lift and then some.

Since it will be pretty equalivant to my pc before my upgrade, I may install counter strike source and see how the computer reacts.

30 minutes until windows is finished installing :)

Edited by audiofanaticz