Second Skin Audio

2 15's Ported Box?

Well my old system was recently stolen so im currently workin on a new one.

I just need help with my box.

Im gonna have 2 15in kicker l7s.

Im tryin to go for a ported box.

I was using the RE calculator but someone said that it was unreliable.

I have room for a 37Wx15Hx37D box. going into a grand am trunk..

Id prefer the subs facing up on one end. Port wherever as long as it fits with the dimensions for the room i have.

Tuned around 32-36hz.

If anyone can help that would be awesome!

what year grand am

i am currently working on mine (2003)

if u want subs up the box will need to be short enough to accomadate the sub mount and surround... so dont forget that

unless you are firing them into the cabin it will be hard to get that to work

if u fire them up and port back theres little room for the wave to enter the car... less you remove the rear deck

personally i would do 2 12" l7s since it would be much easier to fit and u can use a larger more efficient enclosure

on a side note... re calc doesnt take into account the displacement of the subs being used... so to find actual tuning and cuft u need to subtract from the dimensions you desire til the vb reflects the sub disp... then check tuning and change to get it to where u want.. very simple

TeamSundown-sig.jpg

I drive a 98 grand am gt....i drive with no backseat and i cut out some metal that supported the back seat to give me maximum room for a box. and im thinking of firing them up at the trunk as there is 15in of room and it wont hit anything and then having the port facing the front of the car. Good?

no... port back... only do sub forward if sealed off from cabin and port up

or subs up port back....

if u do port forward subs up u will likely have cancellation... unless you dont have a rear deck

i am not sure if that is true. my cousin has 2 15's with subs up and port back in his catera.

----reference's----

meade916

should sound better and allow for more notes to form before entering the cabin

every car is different... most of the time port being fired forward is a last resort in a trunk car

in hatchbacks its not bad but its louder facing to the rear

suvs are best port back or up... and obviously walls have port firing forward... but thats cause they are sealed off.... which is why sub forward port forward works best but only if you seal off the trunk

trunk cars usually, so long as there is enough airspace around the box to get into the cabin, sound better with the size box ur doing with subs up/back and port back... but ive never done 7-8cuft

taking the rear speakers out/cutting metal off of the rear deck will prolly help u too

TeamSundown-sig.jpg

Facing the port back for the vechicle would be loud but it will creat sound rattling and it might not sound too good unless you some foam or dynamat to stop that rattling. You want to build an enclosures then have you try the pen and paper because i do get a better understanding on it tune properly. You can try that car stereo site to see if you can get the tune frequency of the enclosures.