Any Carpenters In Here? Deck Question...

well im laid off work so now im off to side jobs... Bult tons of decks , but none freestanding 4 feet off the ground.. All have been ledgered to the house and post/beam on the rim... So now this lady wants a 4'x4' platform with stairs.. my only concern other than height is will it be stable with just the 4x4 posts sitting on deck blocks? its very uneven soft ground.. wouldnt be an issue if i could just crossbrace the posts but for some reason she doesnt want that .. bottom line.. a lil square 4x4 platform about 4 feet off the ground, best way to be stable?

** in with the new**96 grand am GT 2- dc lv 3 12'smemphis mc1000d145.3@46 hz** out with old**96 Grand am GT12w71000/1 143.6 @ 46 hz on the new TLhttp://img220.imageshack.us/my.php?image=av1023dc4.jpg

you are gonna have to use some sort of crossbracing, or put the posts into cement. Even at four feet high , with out a very solid foundation or cross bracing it will be wobbly... then again, you will be kinda triangulating it with the stair case, so it might be alright. I would at least run a board parallel to the ground from the inside of the bottom of your stair string back to the bottom of each 4x4 post that the top of the stringer is fastened to. the stair set should give it a more rigid and solid feel.

2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser Voo Doo Blue

my upgrades and "build" thread.

My Kulicki Box Build

-Alpine 9887 head unit, KTX-100EQ imprint-( sound quality for dummies! ). - MB Quartz 3.5" in back pillars

-Sundown Audio SAX100.4 - JL Audio 3 way 6.5" component set XR653-CSi ( doors and dash )

-JL Audio 2 way Component set XR650CSi

- Alpine MRD - M1005 - Alpine Type - R 12" subs -- 2 - 12" s in a Pete kulicki designed box.

-Alpine High speed Ipod cable, and KCA-SC100 with Sirius sat. radio

-All wiring is Stinger 12 gauge and HPM Level 3 RCAs, KnuKonceptz Kolossus Power and ground and Big done in 1/0,

-270 sq. ft. of Damplifier Pro, 36 sq. ft. of Overkill Pro, 6 full sheets of Luxury Liner, and a gallon of spectrum-

-2 Powermaster D680 Powercells in back

FINALLY !!! I GOT IT METERED ON THE TERMLAB !!! I did a 140.2 at 42 hertz.

Shoehorn, BFH, forklift,duct tape and some zip ties

Set the posts in the ground a couple feet, and add quickrete around them would probably be best.

Deck me and my brother built.

0818081651.jpg

userbar651078zu3.gif

MECP_SMALL.jpgCERTIFIED BITCHES!!!

Not being new at something doesn't mean anything. Just because a prostitute isn't new at what she does, doesn't change the fact that she still 'sucks'

Click to see my build!

Proud DC owner

id do that if it were not off the groung so much, its weird ive so many decks from $1 - $15 k and im having a damn issue with this 100 dollar pos freestand... idk man im just gonna do a crossbrace on the back and on the inside ( that will be closest to the house ) and lock the stairs up and crossbrace the stringers .. its only temp for the winter and its a trailer so im sure it ll be fine

** in with the new**96 grand am GT 2- dc lv 3 12'smemphis mc1000d145.3@46 hz** out with old**96 Grand am GT12w71000/1 143.6 @ 46 hz on the new TLhttp://img220.imageshack.us/my.php?image=av1023dc4.jpg

Set the posts in the ground a couple feet, and add quickrete around them would probably be best.

Deck me and my brother built.

0818081651.jpg

she doesnt wanna buy concrete .. or anchors.. or carriage bolts... it was tough to even convince her to buy dek blocks :aggressive: ... oh well 2 hrs of work 200 bux lol

quick idea , probably would be alot stronger i think igoing to pick up a few half inch sheets of cdx plywood to put on all four sides, well maybe the 3 sides without the stairs.. with screws every foot or so tying in the posts and cdx im sure that ll keep it pretty solid

You need concrete just return the deck blocks and get some bags of quick crete it is a hazard to do it with just deck blocks hell it might even be cheaper to use concrete and a lot safer in the end also

I WANTED to use crete , but when i put the real deck up next year , itll just save time , and shes going to want what i put up tomorrow to just be her mini landing on the other side of the house, this is just a pain in the ass really , just tryin to nickle and dime everything, i told her for about an xtra 40-50 bux it will be done right and safe, but no , she s pinchin them pennies..

I WANTED to use crete , but when i put the real deck up next year , itll just save time , and shes going to want what i put up tomorrow to just be her mini landing on the other side of the house, this is just a pain in the ass really , just tryin to nickle and dime everything, i told her for about an xtra 40-50 bux it will be done right and safe, but no , she s pinchin them pennies..

If you dont use crete then you NEED to sink the blocks is this part connecting 2 decks