Second Skin Audio

Port Position

Zade08

Im building my box for my 2 fi bl 15"s and Im getting a bit of confusion with port positioning. Can you guys give me some input on which would be better subs up port up, subs up port back, or subs back port back? Id like to hear from people who have actualy listened to multiple setups and can compare them for me. Not "Oh I did this and it was great". Thanks ahead of time guys.

Also this is going in my ford escape. (compact suv)

Vehicle: 2001 Ford Escape

Head Unit: Kenwood Kdc-x592

All out for a rebuild.

New shit coming in the next 30 days.

teamsundown3hx1.jpg

Im building my box for my 2 fi bl 15"s and Im getting a bit of confusion with port positioning. Can you guys give me some input on which would be better subs up port up, subs up port back, or subs back port back? Id like to hear from people who have actualy listened to multiple setups and can compare them for me. Not "Oh I did this and it was great". Thanks ahead of time guys.

Also this is going in my ford escape. (compact suv)

fire both port and subs back toward the tailgate.

Subs up and port to the rear is slightly louder on a meter but you will lose some low bass and some sq.

Michael Hughes = 6X SPL World Champion - Loudest on the planet in db Drag, USACi, and IASCA.

I realy dont have enough surface area to do both facing back. If I do port and subs up i can extend the box another 8" and put them on the same plane. What kind of effect would this have. Steves done it in all hos builds so it cant be too bad.

All out for a rebuild.

teamsundown3hx1.jpg

I have tested consistent 1.5 to 2 dB gain with subs up, ports back as compared to subs up, ports back in SUVs. I have tested this in my HHR, Yukon, Explorer, Escape, Durango, and 4 Runners.

I have always had lower frequency extension with ports back as opposed to up as well.

Ed Lester

ShowtimeSPL Host

Showtime Electronics Video Marketing

My old Build Log
http://www.stevemead...08/#entry511451

http://www.youtube.com/showtimespl

TeamDeadlyHertz-HHREd.png

5 time dB Drag Finalist
Last ride 2007 HHR, current dB 153.5 and bass race 149.4 dB. 153.0 dB on music

New Ride, 2008 HHR SS. Build under way.
Loudest score ever = 171dB
2009 dB Drag Racing, North American Points Champion

I realy dont have enough surface area to do both facing back. If I do port and subs up i can extend the box another 8" and put them on the same plane. What kind of effect would this have. Steves done it in all hos builds so it cant be too bad.

the do subs up / port back. I would NOT fire subs and ports up on the same plane.

Michael Hughes = 6X SPL World Champion - Loudest on the planet in db Drag, USACi, and IASCA.

the do subs up / port back. I would NOT fire subs and ports up on the same plane.

Ok I can still fit the the port back with the smaller airspace. Im still curious as to why port and subs up on the same plane is bad. (Not trying to doubt you just always interested in learning something new.)

All out for a rebuild.

teamsundown3hx1.jpg

Im still curious as to why port and subs up on the same plane is bad.

its not that its that bad.....its just not as good as getting the port on a plane thats farther from the listening area than the subs.

Archived