Second Skin Audio

Kicker 12l7 Or 15l7s?

Just of the top of my head. If you have the room (not sure what car you have) you could run 2 fi audio bl 15s fully loaded for DD (650 shipped). Saz-3000d refurbed from dbr.com (Great guy to deal with and great amp work) (720 shipped). That alone totals 1370 leaving you more than enough to build a box and buy your buddies lunch for helping you with the install. 1600 is a big chunk of change. Dont waste it on kicker equipment.

Edited by Zade08

Vehicle: 2001 Ford Escape

Head Unit: Kenwood Kdc-x592

All out for a rebuild.

New shit coming in the next 30 days.

teamsundown3hx1.jpg

Sorry for killing your thread but also the kicker square subs are infamous for bad leads (This Iv seen on many buddies setups) and blowing cones as there is the pressure on the cone is uneven in spot due to it being square (This is just what Iv heard through the grapevine but it does make since to me).

All out for a rebuild.

teamsundown3hx1.jpg

ill take that with a grain of salt"lol"I will do some research on the Fi Bls and the Saz 3000.I havent heard of these subs till Steave Mead on youtube.But thats 18s and all that watts.Yes 1600.00 is a bit of money and i want it to go all the way and last awhile.By the way i have a 1996 Chevy 4x4 ext cab sitting on 35" tires.Thanks for the info.Any more imput would be nice.

Kind of funny My first truck was the 1993 chevy 1500 single cab short bed. I loved that truck soo fucking much. Treat it good I know I did mine. Anyways my buddy had the ext cab and I always wanted to put a system in it. For that truck if you dont ever use your back seat do 1 of two thing. Either pull it out and run a box all the way across the back or make 2 seperat boxes and put some kind of bucket seat in the center for storage/passengers. Either way do port up and sub up in that truck and youl love it. Look at the main page of smd forums and scroll down and youl see all kind of car audio name brands listed. Lurk around in those parts of the forum for a bit and take in some info from the peeps on the forum. I would still recommend the sundown amp as mine is the best amp Iv ever owned but you could still look around for more subs. IMO half the fun of showin off to your friends is doing it with something none of them have (ex. RF Kicker CV). Keep it in mind though that you might want to work a HO alternator 1 realy good battery and a big3 upgrade into your budget. Fortunatly for you that trucks parts are a dime a dozen (another reason I miss my chevy). Good luck with your build man. lookin forward to see wha you decide on. :-)

All out for a rebuild.

teamsundown3hx1.jpg

Sorry for killing your thread but also the kicker square subs are infamous for bad leads (This Iv seen on many buddies setups) and blowing cones as there is the pressure on the cone is uneven in spot due to it being square (This is just what Iv heard through the grapevine but it does make since to me).

x2 on the leads they have been really bad for a couple of years now not to sure kicker must just be slacking now a days only ones that i have seen that look ok are the cvx line they are woven into the spider. and just so u know i always have been a kicker fan also for years. just dont wanna see u waste your hard earned money on something that could potentailly break .

WHATS THIS.........POKE HARD????

SMDMafiajamen.jpg

Giving you my honest opinion. Kicker subs where all I ran until I started doing some research on them. Kicker makes good subs dont get me wrong and they sound fairly good doing what they do. But I dont like them for the fact that all of there subs other than the solox series have these shitty kaptan (hope I spelled that right) voice coil. When kapton gets hot enough it warps. When a voice coil warps it starts rubbing the wall of the sub making a loud scratching sound. What you want to look for is an aluminum voice coil sub as aluminum doesnt warp when it gets hot.(The solox series uses these) If you where going to get a pair of cvrs because you where on a budget Id say go for it. But if your spending the money on a pair of l7s I would save a bit more and get a good pair of subs. Listen to people on this forum about dc, dd, fi, re, sundown and alot of other great brands that are better quality and wont break the bank. I bought 4 8" l7s. Ran them at 1ohm and put them on my sundown 1500d. These subs are supposed to handle up to 1800rms and Iwas running 1600rms at max on them. One of the voice coils warped with in a week and the subs themselves where almost bottoming out. 1800rms my ass. Just my 0.02. Take it as you want.

I run 4 15" L7's I've had them beating for all of last summer and still using them off the amps in my sig. I've gotten 'em really hot one time. (Bad idea) and no melted coil, no stratching, nothing. I believe its all personal experience with the woofers. User error?

Only the older L7's (02, 04 Models) had tinsel lead problems.

Research!

Derp.

I run 4 15" L7's I've had them beating for all of last summer and still using them off the amps in my sig. I've gotten 'em really hot one time. (Bad idea) and no melted coil, no stratching, nothing. I believe its all personal experience with the woofers. User error?

Only the older L7's (02, 04 Models) had tinsel lead problems.

Research!

Was no user error just a shitty sub that couldnt handle the rated rms. Like the guy above said check the leads on alot of there newer equiptment. Mine where the 06/07 series and the leads looked small on them too. It is persanol experience but when it boils down to there are alot better subs out there for 300 a pop. And if you want to be like every on else that shop at circuit city be my guest and run kickers subs all day long. End of topic.

BTW Your running 4k rms of subs on 2 of those brutus amps. Supposedly those things only put out around 1800rms around 12volts. Now if thats the case then your only pushing 3600rms on 4k of subs. That meens those subs arent even seeing near there rated power. While my amp was putting out a solid 1600+ @1ohm and subs where about to bottom out. I dont think its fare for you to tell any one to "do there research" or make an assumption that it was "user error".

I have the tests to back up my amp power but am yet to find one on the bxi-2008. I would like to know its actual output power at 1ohm myself as I almost bought one before I got my sundown. Im going to keep looking for a power test on that amp just humer me and you solo.

Edited by Zade08

All out for a rebuild.

teamsundown3hx1.jpg

Was no user error just a shitty sub that couldnt handle the rated rms. Like the guy above said check the leads on alot of there newer equiptment. Mine where the 06/07 series and the leads looked small on them too. It is persanol experience but when it boils down to there are alot better subs out there for 300 a pop. And if you want to be like every on else that shop at circuit city be my guest and run kickers subs all day long. End of topic.

BTW Your running 4k rms of subs on 2 of those brutus amps. Supposedly those things only put out around 1800rms around 12volts. Now if thats the case then your only pushing 3600rms on 4k of subs. That meens those subs arent even seeing near there rated power. While my amp was putting out a solid 1600+ @1ohm and subs where about to bottom out. I dont think its fare for you to tell any one to "do there research" or make an assumption that it was "user error".

I have the tests to back up my amp power but am yet to find one on the bxi-2008. I would like to know its actual output power at 1ohm myself as I almost bought one before I got my sundown. Im going to keep looking for a power test on that amp just humer me and you solo.

Sorry boss I don't buy anything from Circuit City...

Maybe the Brutus amps are over-rated. But until I see a actual test of the model I have I'll keep it as 2k RMS a piece.

I didn't assume it was user error at all. you took assumption that I assumed silly........

My 15's don't have 'small' leads whatsoever. What makes you think Kicker male such shitty woofers? All you ever talk about is your bad experience with them. You treat them as if they are your Mom's Xplods...

Yeah, I'm a Kicker nut hugger.. :)

Derp.

if you dont mind me asking.What is wrong with kicker subs?I havent heard them in person but i did alot of youtube searching and they pound.Where i live its all RF.When i was younger 12 years or so ago it was Cerwin Vega.What do you think would be better?I posted before i have a budget of 1600.00 or so for subs,amp,box.Most bang for the buck if you know what i mean.

Again with all these Youtubers :censored: If you haven't heard them for yourself I know you'll think they aren't all that great. I know from many systems I have owned consisting of L7's.. But thats if you have ever heard anything other than Kicker products to. Try keeping your opnion non biased as to what you seen on a video. I say save up and buy elsewhere man.

Ascendant Audio

8 AA Havoc 15's in a 4th order