Sonic Electronix

Termlab Oscilloscope Question

Does anyone know if the Termlab USB with RTA Option (which includes the Oscilloscope function) can use a probe or does it only use the Microphone for the RTA? In other words, can it be used to test the preamp outputs and the amplifier outputs for clipping instead of using a dedicated O-Scope. By the time I price out an O-Scope and RTA I'm pretty much at the price of a Termlab.

Thanks, Bob.

97 Maxima SE

Bunch of shit going in, check out the build

alpine_logo.jpgSundown_Banner.jpgxspower.png

As far as I know the scope is slightly different. It will detect clipping thru the RTA software add on for $250 which includes usb non spl mics. The mics are used to read the signal. Where as a handheld scope will actually be connected to your amps pos and neg speaker outputs.

You will be able to still check for clipping with the RTA software, but its just done a bit different.

I hope that helps and is the info you are wanting.

These are a great scope, I know Steve uses it, I gonna order one in a few days..

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/ind...showtopic=29844

But I would shop around if that is something you are into, mobile soulitions on this site sells them for $384, but you can find them new for around $240. If your like me, you wont like paying rediculous markup..

As far as I know the scope is slightly different. It will detect clipping thru the RTA software add on for $250 which includes usb non spl mics. The mics are used to read the signal. Where as a handheld scope will actually be connected to your amps pos and neg speaker outputs.

You will be able to still check for clipping with the RTA software, but its just done a bit different.

I hope that helps and is the info you are wanting.

These are a great scope, I know Steve uses it, I gonna order one in a few days..

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/ind...showtopic=29844

But I would shop around if that is something you are into, mobile soulitions on this site sells them for $384, but you can find them new for around $240. If your like me, you wont like paying rediculous markup..

That is exactly the information I was looking for. It looks like the termlab option is only good for the final output since it uses a mic. I'm going to go with a portable unit so I can hook up to the preamps as well. I was looking at that one and also a Velleman. Thanks for the info !!!

97 Maxima SE

Bunch of shit going in, check out the build

alpine_logo.jpgSundown_Banner.jpgxspower.png

Archived