Sundown Audio

Two Amps One Sub

PUNKYOU007

hey hey. my buddy wants to buy a woofer from me and he asked me if he could use two like amps to run the one woofer. well i have never done so but i know people do it, but i had no advice for him. im not sure on the model of the amp but i know it says its 1000w and it says sony. the amp is black also. the woofer was built for me by Robot Underground using Adire and RE parts, i was told that it can handle over 1300w. anyway if there is something special about wiring the sub this way please let know. unless my buddy goes out and buys a prefab box then it will be sealed if that matters.

TeamDeadlyHertz-PUNKYOU007.png

d(-__-)b

beer sucks...but i can bring some jose cuervo. Only problem is that it makes me horny and gives me the rams. So unless yall wanna fight and then have some great make up sex i will leave it home.

hey hey. my buddy wants to buy a woofer from me and he asked me if he could use two like amps to run the one woofer. well i have never done so but i know people do it, but i had no advice for him. im not sure on the model of the amp but i know it says its 1000w and it says sony. the amp is black also. the woofer was built for me by Robot Underground using Adire and RE parts, i was told that it can handle over 1300w. anyway if there is something special about wiring the sub this way please let know. unless my buddy goes out and buys a prefab box then it will be sealed if that matters.

There are a few ways to wire two amps to one sub, but for your application we need to know if it's a single or dual (or quad) coil.

If it's dual (or quad), you can run each 'like' amp into one coil (or two). The ohms loads will most likely be high and the amps power will reflect though.

EDIT: Try to get more info on the setup so ppl can help better.

Need an install? Hit me up.
[email protected]

Got car audio questions? Check here first!
Everything you need to know. =]

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/83029-everything-you-need-to-know/

sorry it took me so long. the sub is dual 4ohm. i know that the sony amps are way overrated but my buddy is one of those guys that would buy a Pyle amp just cause it says its 2500W and cost $125, instead of a good amp. i have tried to tell him you get what you pay for, for the last 8 years, he always goes the inexpensive route. whats the best way to make sure both gains are exact? i have always adjusted my amps by ear but i would think that using dual amps, the output on them both should be exact, right.

d(-__-)b

beer sucks...but i can bring some jose cuervo. Only problem is that it makes me horny and gives me the rams. So unless yall wanna fight and then have some great make up sex i will leave it home.

Unless the amp(s) are:

A) strappable

or

B) master/slave

I know for a fact that there is no Sony amp, and will prob never be any sony amp that will be either A or B from above.

It is strongly NOT suggested to run 2 amps too 1 sub, if the amps are not strappable or master/slave capable without harming the sub.

The reason behind this is unless you have the proper test equipment you can not properly tune the amps to be completely equal in power output.

You could use a DMM, but it will be no where as accurate as a O-Scope.

If one voicecoil gets more power then the other voice coil the sub will not play even. It could cause the voice coil to rub on the magnet or pole piece (depending on manufactur and model). Another words your sub will get trashed.

However you can get around this by using a Maxxsonics Maxx-Link. This will allow the user to strap 2 amps together that are not meant to be strapped. You can buy the unit for around $65-$85 depending where you buy. This will ensure both amps putting out the same power at the same time using all the same settings such as LPF, SSF, GAIN, and it comes with a remote volume knob.

If one voicecoil gets more power then the other voice coil the sub will not play even. It could cause the voice coil to rub on the magnet or pole piece (depending on manufactur and model). Another words your sub will get trashed.

I have to disagree with you there - the coils are so tightly wound around each other that giving them different power doesn't really matter. It all just adds together anyway. It certainly isn't going to cause the coil to rock side to side and rub on the motor. The most important part is getting the phasing perfect, otherwise you could have 250w telling the sub to go up and 250w telling the sub to go down which would result in a lot of power and no cone movement = heat = smoke!

goodgrammarbc7.gif

10.x volts fo' life!

yeah im just gonna tell him it cant be done. if i tried to tell him he would have to buy more gear, he would just go to the flea market and find some bootleg way around it. thanks anyway guys

d(-__-)b

Archived