Second Skin Audio

Better Box?

bassboombottom

I'm thinking about making a new enclosure, and being the noob that I am, I still don't know all the fancy lingo (Qes, Vas, port vol, etc) and I wouldn't know how to design an enclosure if my life depended on it. I have been told that doing round ports is better, and I've heard the same about slot porting. When I heard an installer's 2 12" boston subs, I was literally blown away. 2-12"s in a tube ported box , one T1500-1bd, and some other stuff I can't remember, but DAAAAAAAMN! I never heard anything that loud in my life! He said it did a 146 or something (i was still in OMFG mode, so i didnt bother to ask him if was on the TL).

From the looks of it, all one would have to do is build a rectangular (or square) box, brace the shit outta the thing, and stick in some PVC tubes. I think it sounds simpler than making a conventional slot port box. Maybe, I'm wrong. I don't know.

But in order to proceed, I would need a PM from someone who is familiar with Alpine subs, and enclosures. I can't pay for a design, even if it's 5 bucks. I am unemployed and broke as a joke, and i aint laughin.

Any help would be badass.

Thanks.

8v fury said:

if youre broke as a joke, how you plan on buildin your box? I used 4" (ID) PVC pipe for my ports. It was as simple as you think it sounds. I cut a hole in each chamber, and stuck a piece of PVC that was cut to the propper lenght to give me the desired tuning. Only thing is im noticing some "chuffing" sounds. Im not too bothered by it for now, since its too cold to fuck around with shit (below zero this morning), but im either runna flare them or maybe add more ports.

woman..cant live with em...cant shoot em...guess were all fucked

You might be a Redneck if you use your leftover gutters for a speaker box port...

YOU JUST LOST THE GAMER.I.P. Blazer=========================Last setup was in the 141s on music (37hz) with 2 12s and 1kw in a 4dr blazer.2010 Mitsubishi Lancer DE2 12in Clarions (kept from blazer)HiFonics BRZ1700.1d (at 2 ohms BLOWN) [JBL GTS180X for subs currently 60wRMS x2ch!!!!!! This works for till i get the blown amp fixed] Alpine 4ch salvaged from blazer (currently near death)9887 peerless 7s in the doors and CDT tweeters ran active no speakers in the rearKintik HC1400 under the hood.metered once a while ago, dont remember it...was piss poor compared to the blazer, mid 130s i think....looking to replace subs and amp when i have money.

essentially a round port is more efficient than a slot port due to the air hitting corners and such in slot ports. however the amount of difference is pretty miniscule to the ear. either way it will sound good.

i like the pvc tubes i have done that b4. just make sure u get ur tuning right

-Matt

2005 Dodge Magnum RT
JVC KD-AVX1

2 PPI S580.2

Obsidian Audio ST1 Horn Tweeters

PRV 8MB450s

Audio Legion 3500.1D

2 RE MT 18s

360 ah LiFePO4 Battery
SHCA 2/0

155.2 @ 29 hz

Kicker CVR 15's build
DD 3512e build
Mini T-Line Build
(6) 8s Build
Nightshade 15s Wall Build
Magnum AB XFL 12s Build
Newest Magnum Build

essentially a round port is more efficient than a slot port due to the air hitting corners and such in slot ports. however the amount of difference is pretty miniscule to the ear. either way it will sound good.

i like the pvc tubes i have done that b4. just make sure u get ur tuning right

Would rounding the PVC ends inside and out of the box do any good? And do i just get a length of tube and just stick it in and take it out till it sounds good? Or is there a mathematical equaison for sound wavelength/port diameter?

I got the fucking cold, and its sapping what's left of my thinking ability.

:(

8v fury said:

yep, there is a mathmatical equation. Don't know what it is, but the longer the port, the lower the frequency. I would keep bumping the thread till you get someones attention. and reword the topic description to, need port tuning info. or something in that nature to bring those people to the topic.

Loud as f*ck, and sounds good doing it.

Team built from here on out!!!!

BIG things to come.........

Missing link is the shite!!!

SMDMafiaEagleScorpio1.jpg

bannerfans_8aed9634.png

yep, there is a mathmatical equation. Don't know what it is, but the longer the port, the lower the frequency. I would keep bumping the thread till you get someones attention. and reword the topic description to, need port tuning info. or something in that nature to bring those people to the topic.

lol i want to kno the equation for ports (bump)

starting fresh, chrysler 300.. no subs amp nothin

I NEED HELP looking to purchase saz-1500d and 15" 1000rms subREFS- feedback/refs.. click!

Archived