Air Intake questions

lol know any good tuners in southern new mexico or west texas

J. Jsig_253411.jpgMy CardomainFINISHED COBALT SS/SC DUAL ALTERNATOR PICS icon_nuts.gif

theres no such thing as too expensive when it comes to upgrades like that, because imo if you are gonna spend to upgrade then do it correctly rather then be a cheap ass ricer

cobalt ss supercharged... theres actually quite a few things out there for this vehicle but im sorta in the same boat as megalo. right now im at 205 hp and the supercharger pushes 12.5lb boost (limited but honestly i dont think ive seen the stock guage go much over 10 but i dont have much time to look) if i get the gm stage two id have 243 hp but its about 1k with install... i think id benifit from a cai bc my car lets out alot of carbon and correct me if im wrong but isnt that a sign the engine is running rich? problem is ive herd a cai throws a cel on 50% of cobalts from what i assume is running lean. plus honestly for the price of the gm stage 2 i can get something similar that makes more power but i would need it tuned (i thought about a twinchaged kit that is being sonld right now for like 1200 but i would need more mods to get it working right along with a good solid tune)

J. Jsig_253411.jpgMy CardomainFINISHED COBALT SS/SC DUAL ALTERNATOR PICS icon_nuts.gif

theres no such thing as too expensive when it comes to upgrades like that, because imo if you are gonna spend to upgrade then do it correctly rather then be a cheap ass ricer

Hmm, that sounds odd that a CAI will throw a CEL.  Does the car run a  MAF?

Your comment about running only 10 pounds could be correct.  Can you tell where the gauge is hooked?  Most OEM turbo equiped cars use the actual compressor housing to read boost, verse reading at the intake manifold.  Obviously if its hooked at the compressor, you will see a boost loss from the the compressor to the manifold. 

If you see black smoke under hard acceloration, you are correct, it may run slightly rich.  Running the cold air intake won't change that though.  The only way you can change that on a EFI/SC car such as yours would be through ECU adjustment.  I wouldn't worry about the slight smoke though. GM tuned the car that way to create a margin of error (on the safe side).

That motor is a stout bitch though, it may be a little out of your price range, but your could switch to turbo and make some serious power!  GM will help you out too...they set out to take over the sport compact market and they built the motor to do it.

lol that would be pimp... where could i sign up. lol ive never drivin a turbo car but this ss/sc is putting a big smile on my face. Im wondering thou if i would be able to do a swap from the sky redline... its the same engine same weight (oddly) but the turbo gives it 260 hp

but ya theres a maf i forgot where they put it but i know theres one on these engines. Would that be the cause for the cel? the maf detecting to much air? id think it would just add more fuel and be good to go but maybe not

you think maybe they could have put it backwards? would that throw a cel?

thats sorta what i was thinking because the cel's wernt across the board. just with about half of the peeps i have talked to and they arent on all the time more so really random

• 4 weeks later...