Alternator Squeal...help Please

Man I am posting in this section a lot lately...lol

Ok here is whats up, I have a mechman 170 high output alt, big 3 in 0/1, duralast gold top up front, optima yellow top in back, one run of + and one - of 0/1 from front to back battery, PowerAcoustik power series 5500D (supposedly 3200 at 1 ohm) on a DD 9918c

The thing is when I start the car up, the alternator squeals...but then it stops once the car picks up in idle...but then at idle if I put the system to full tilt the alternator starts squealing again, and then stops when I kill my bass....

Going down the road at 35 mph + though with the system at full tilt it doesn't squeal though...which is weird.

Everything still seems to be working properly though...at full tilt my lights don't dim one bit. I haven't taken a volt meter to it yet, but I will soon just to see what my voltage drop is.

When it first started doing this I pulled the alternator up a hair to tighten the belt and it stopped a bit...but then started up again recently.

Any suggestions?

x2

07 mote carlo..

deh-p800prs hu-cdt gold 6.5's-cdt 6x9 2 ways-mcintosh mc431m(mids/highs)

bxi2608,2 10w7's in 4rth order(designed by pete k)ported into cabin via armrest cutout

dc power 260 amp alt-missing link module (15.4v)kicker 1/0 kit deka intimidator under hood

metered 141.0 @ 32hz windows down @ kick,termlab

When you put a heavy load on your alt, it makes it harder (resists) for the engine to turn it. Especially around idle speeds, thats why it squeals when the belt slips across the pulley. And ''v'' belts suck for grabbing the pulley when under load. Upgrading to a sepentine style system would be beneficial, though you would have to change all the pulleys that belt drives.

ascendant.jpglogo.jpgteamsundown-1.jpgDCPowerLogoTransparent2.png

Guest Just_Rob

I will almost guarantee that you have either the wrong pulley on the alternator, or wrong belt on the car, or both... Most GM vehicles had 15/32" belts, not 3/8" belts and at the same time, most aftermarket pulleys are made for 3/8" belts... The top of the belt should sit exactly level at the top of the *V* of the pulley, it it sits above the top of the pulley, you have the wrong pulley and correct belt, it it sits below the top of the pulley, you may have the wrong belt and correct pulley... If by chance it does sit exactly level, it just may need to be tightened...

On GM vehicles with single V belts, if you dont have the correct belt/pulley combo it doesnt matter what alterantor you have on there whether its stock or anyones HO, the belt will slip!

We make our own 15/32" pulleys for the GM vehicles because literally every single aftermarket pulley for GM vehicles is for 3/8" belts and they WONT work when you have 15/32" belts on your car..

Very, very, very common problem on GM cars and trucks...

I will almost guarantee that you have either the wrong pulley on the alternator, or wrong belt on the car, or both... Most GM vehicles had 15/32" belts, not 3/8" belts and at the same time, most aftermarket pulleys are made for 3/8" belts... The top of the belt should sit exactly level at the top of the *V* of the pulley, it it sits above the top of the pulley, you have the wrong pulley and correct belt, it it sits below the top of the pulley, you may have the wrong belt and correct pulley... If by chance it does sit exactly level, it just may need to be tightened...

On GM vehicles with single V belts, if you dont have the correct belt/pulley combo it doesnt matter what alterantor you have on there whether its stock or anyones HO, the belt will slip!

We make our own 15/32" pulleys for the GM vehicles because literally every single aftermarket pulley for GM vehicles is for 3/8" belts and they WONT work when you have 15/32" belts on your car..

Very, very, very common problem on GM cars and trucks...

Alrighty...I bought a new belt today for like 8 bucks at autozone so ill see how the old one is matching up and how the new one matches up...

If its the wrong pulley I should be able to do a pulley swap from my old stock alt to the new one..Just got to get an impact wrench =/