Alternator Squeal...help Please

Guest Just_Rob
New belt fixed it for the most part..

The new belt fit the alternator pulley A LOT better then the old belt...but it doesn't fit as good on the pulley on the engine =/

You hear a faint chirp now when I start it up...but immediately goes away after the car starts all the way.

From what you just mentioned, you basically confirmed what I was thinking... You have the wrong pulley on the alternator, and they sold you the wrong belt, so basically you have the same problem, but in reverse.. Now the belt fits the alternator pulley, but it will start slipping on the crank and waterpump pulley.

The only manufacturer to my knowledge that makes 15/32 belts now is Goodyear, my suggestion would be to go to NAPA, get the correct Goodyear belt (probably $15-$18, not $8) and put your old pulley on the new alt, and your problem will go away..

In my years working on vehicles, I've seen this same crap literally hundreds of times.... Rob

From what you just mentioned, you basically confirmed what I was thinking... You have the wrong pulley on the alternator, and they sold you the wrong belt, so basically you have the same problem, but in reverse.. Now the belt fits the alternator pulley, but it will start slipping on the crank and waterpump pulley.

The only manufacturer to my knowledge that makes 15/32 belts now is Goodyear, my suggestion would be to go to NAPA, get the correct Goodyear belt (probably $15-$18, not $8) and put your old pulley on the new alt, and your problem will go away..

In my years working on vehicles, I've seen this same crap literally hundreds of times.... Rob

Alrighty, sounds good...I'll swing by and get a belt tomorrow, when I took the old original belt off it was pretty beat up.

Then I'll just take both the alts down to one of the local shops and have them do the pulley swap...I don't have an impact wrench to do it.. =/

Thanks for all the help though Rob

Edited by Mrbubbles00482

Swapped the pulley's today...my friend let me borrow his impact wrench. No squeal at start up or full tilt. =]

Thanks for the help guys. Oh ya...by fixing the pulley it put me from 14.7 to 15 volts at idle

FYI, our 170 amp large case units usually put out over 200 amps, which is way too much resistance to drive with a V-belt. When we sold you the unit, we let you know that belt slip will always be the limiting factor on a single v-belt application. The primary reason that it won't slip on startup now, is because the stock pulley is larger in diameter. This means the overspeeding of the crankshaft pulley on startup is less abrupt because the alternator is turning more slowly. Also, you will have more surface area contacting the pulley because of the increased circumference, and better belt wrap because of the increased diameter. All of these things are good, except for that you won't have as much ouput at idle because you have slowed the alternator down.

Like I said, belt slip is always an issue with an alternator that big driven by a single v-belt. I imagine that's why you asked the question on a public forum instead of just calling our tech line. :)