Extremely Newbish Wiring Question

My sub is wired with 8 gauge wire. I didn't know at the time how weak 8 gauge is.

If I switch to 4 gauge will it be any louder/less distorted?

My sub is a kicker compvr 12 in a ported box.

My amp is 500wrmsX1 @ 4 ohms.

I also don't really understand my amps gains so if someone could explain that.  I have it turned all the way down to .2 volts but it plays louder the lower the voltage?

Then, I keep the bass boost around half way bc if i turn it louder than that it doesnt sound clean anymore.

So, if i get new 4 gauge wires will it play louder/cleaner?

Also, my stock head unit volume goes up to 38 but I never play it above 20 where it seems to max out.  So what I don't understand is, if I am playing it at half volume with my bass boost half way, doesnt that mean I am only sending like 150 watts or something like that?

Thanks!

Power Acoustik fubar 12

sony xploding amp

2 ft^3 box @ 35hz

LOL 8 guage is big for speaker wire man.  wont hear a difference bettween 4 and 8 if u can even fit 4 in the speaker terminal which i HIGHLY doubt. 

and with the gain and bassboost... well i would go ahead and try the bass boost down almost all the way and try the gain around a quarter to a half and see how it sounds.  u dont want clipping on the sub. 

so no if u get 4 it wont make a difference so no dont waste ur money. 

adjust ur gains of ur amp with where u run ur headunit daily.

smd-banner_zpsu2ojqise.png

LOL 8 guage is big for speaker wire man.   wont hear a difference bettween 4 and 8 if u can even fit 4 in the speaker terminal which i HIGHLY doubt. 

and with the gain and bassboost... well i would go ahead and try the bass boost down almost all the way and try the gain around a quarter to a half and see how it sounds.  u dont want clipping on the sub. 

If I do, my amp goes into protection after like 20 minutes and the sub distorts when the amp is getting stressed after a few minutes of slamming.  I figured it was bc the wire couldnt handle it and it stresses the amp bc the power wire cant handle constant high impact notes.

Oh yeah I was talking about the power wire to the amp from the battery, I worded the first part wrong.  Isn't 8 gauge too small for a 400w rms sub?

Power Acoustik fubar 12

sony xploding amp

2 ft^3 box @ 35hz

LOL 8 guage is big for speaker wire man.   wont hear a difference bettween 4 and 8 if u can even fit 4 in the speaker terminal which i HIGHLY doubt. 

If I do, my amp goes into protection after like 20 minutes and the sub distorts when the amp is getting stressed after a few minutes of slamming.  I figured it was bc the wire couldnt handle it and it stresses the amp bc the power wire cant handle constant high impact notes.

Oh yeah I was talking about the power wire to the amp from the battery, I worded the first part wrong.  Isn't 8 gauge too small for a 400w rms sub?

ok if it goes into protect make sure ur amp supports the ohm load you are running your subwoofer at.  that could be the reasoning its doing that.  whats the RMS of ur amp and if its 400w then 8 gauge is perfectly fine.  and it all depends on what size wire your amp is supposed to take.  im positive the amp isnt going into protect cuz the size of your power wire.  the only thing i see is that its an amp that isnt supposed to be ran at the ohm load you are running.  give me the make and model of your amp and make and model of your sub along with if its dual 2 or dual 4 ohm coil if you know.  thx.

but now reading back what u have...... i think its because the cvr is a dual 4 subwoofer and you are running the amp at 2 ohm when its a 4 ohm amplifier?  unless i am wrong.  dont quote me on that.

smd-banner_zpsu2ojqise.png

ok if it goes into protect make sure ur amp supports the ohm load you are running your subwoofer at.  that could be the reasoning its doing that.   whats the RMS of ur amp and if its 400w then 8 gauge is perfectly fine.   and it all depends on what size wire your amp is supposed to take.  im positive the amp isnt going into protect cuz the size of your power wire.  the only thing i see is that its an amp that isnt supposed to be ran at the ohm load you are running.  give me the make and model of your amp and make and model of your sub along with if its dual 2 or dual 4 ohm coil if you know.   thx.

but now reading back what u have...... i think its because the cvr is a dual 4 subwoofer and you are running the amp at 2 ohm when its a 4 ohm amplifier?  unless i am wrong.  dont quote me on that.

Its a dual 2ohm and I have it wired at 4ohms and the amp is 500wrms x1 channel bridged

Power Acoustik fubar 12

sony xploding amp

2 ft^3 box @ 35hz