Second Skin Audio

Some Quick Tuning/port Help

so i got in some new subs... four memphis pr 12's, i need some help on the port size/depth, i'm clueless here

box will be 44"x24"x15 roughly 9ft^3 before anything, i'm aiming for subs up, port back (pic) i kinda wanna do a port in the center like steve so it works inbetween the subs, doesn't have to, we can go under the subs also with a wide port

box.jpg

roughly how much port area should i go for the four 12's? i'm aiming for 32-34hz, i'll go a lil over

img1232135227992.jpg

img1232135230301.jpg

'98 Dodge Durango 5.9L

5% front windows, 2.5% on all backs

Alpine CDA-9883

Kicker ZX350.4

Kicker KS650's in all doors

Kicker 1/0 hyperflex

a%20steezy1.png

http://www.carstereo.com/help/Articles.cfm?id=31

input your dimensions and it tells you your port size, i would do aero ports but you can do a slot port if ya want.

I put in 9ft^3 with 4 4" round ports tuned to 32 hz and they will each have to be 11.77in long

or

2 6" round ports at the same freq and they will have to be 12.15" long each

or

6"x12" port tuned to 32 hz and it will have to be 8" long

there are many different combo's, just play with it and see what works with your box.

Oh and you might wanna learn how to work with google sketchup..makes your life much easier.

DSC06330-1.jpg

91' Jeep Cherokee - The Heep

Just Empty Every Pocket

96' Volvo 960 - The B◘x

[sPL_4_U]

HiFonics - Alpine

Pioneer - Clarion

Infinity - Kicker

KnuKonceptz

Don't put the port in the middle of the face. Unless you're moving a hell of a lot of air relative to the box size it makes it less effective, you have high pressure on the walls around the port but very low pressure at the actual port mouth.

goodgrammarbc7.gif

10.x volts fo' life!

Don't put the port in the middle of the face. Unless you're moving a hell of a lot of air relative to the box size it makes it less effective, you have high pressure on the walls around the port but very low pressure at the actual port mouth.

why would that make a difference? does the placement really matter, the air is gonna move in and out regardless where the port is?

6"x12" port tuned to 32 hz and it will have to be 8" long

slotport3.jpg

slotport.jpg

and that is awesome, thanks alot, kinda with going with what's ahead, how would this be if it was facing back right inbetween the subs? i know the sub up port up isn't as great

'98 Dodge Durango 5.9L

Alpine CDA-9883

Kicker ZX350.4

Kicker 1/0 hyperflex

a%20steezy1.png

ttt

any other opinions on this? if not box is being built tomorrow with sub in the middle

'98 Dodge Durango 5.9L

Alpine CDA-9883

Kicker ZX350.4

Kicker 1/0 hyperflex

a%20steezy1.png

why would that make a difference? does the placement really matter, the air is gonna move in and out regardless where the port is?

Think about the pressure (actually pressure variation but hey...) inside your box. It's going to be highest in the corners because that's where the waves meet.

In terms of on-face pressure it's going to be lowest in the middle of the face unless you have some funky design directing the pressure.

Unless your box is really small relative to the displacement of the cones moving it's more efficient to have it on an edge. There's some technical BS like laminar airflow but I won't go into it.

Suffice to say that the exact same box metered very differently when we moved the port from the middle of the face to the bottom of it.

goodgrammarbc7.gif

10.x volts fo' life!

moved the port to the bottom and added 45s on the corners and some dowel supports

Capture-3.jpg

slotport12.jpg

slotport2-1.jpg

slotport3-1.jpg

here are some dimensions:

dimentions.jpg

oh and the port it 8" deep

Edited by eliassami5

DSC06330-1.jpg

91' Jeep Cherokee - The Heep

Just Empty Every Pocket

96' Volvo 960 - The B◘x

[sPL_4_U]

HiFonics - Alpine

Pioneer - Clarion

Infinity - Kicker

KnuKonceptz

not to highjack your thread, but does anyone have the equation for port length if you have port area and all?

If you've been doing something for 20 years, does that mean what you do it right???

Want:

2x Phoenix Gold RSD65CS

Comp Amp Undecided

AA Havoc

AQ 1200

knu wiring

set scew lugs for all connections

Alpine IDA-X303 2v preout :(--this goes under the seat.

Have:

Alpine tape deck w/ Benzi Box and 6 disc changer

Check out my Toyota build