Here is my problem. My girl and I live in the mother-in-law suite next door to her parents (saving for our own house + wedding). It is 2 seperate houses seperated by a screened in porch. The cable is shared by both houses. her parents have 2 computers and we have 2 at our place. At the main house I am using a Belkin N wireless router. The signal is always really low at our house. I have tried a range expander, tried switching channels on the router, and moving the router to another location to no avail. I really don't want to have to hardwire the house but I need to get this fixed so the girl can do her school stuff and I can get my SMD fix. Any suggestions? Oh yeah, all of the computers are probably 150' or less from the router.

www.stereomayhem.com

how old are your computers?

is the router strictly wireless?

home routers can suck balls. you found that out though.

If possible I would add a wired access point to extend towards your location. if at all possible.

does your signal strength go up closer you get?

can you adjust the antenna strength.

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

3 computers are less than a year old, the other one is a little older but is pluged in to the router, the new ones are wireless.

the signal strength does go up as you get closer.

I changed the channels on the router but am not sure how to adjust the strength of the antenna.

What exactly is an access point?

This really pisses me off!

Thanks n8ball.

www.stereomayhem.com

access point is something you can use to plug into the router and give you a wireless signal farther away from the base. Alot of home routers are not very strong and some wont let you change the signal strength. if the home is well built it will explain the loss of signal strength. you could also check the firmware on the router and make sure it doesnt need an update and maybe check the firmware and drivers on your wireless cards to see if they need updated as well. Im not sure how the structure of the house or anything so i dont have much help on that. ther4 are alot of ghetto tricks you can try.

I would look into a Wireless access point of some sort though and just run cable to the access point to get it as close to your suite as possible.

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

Some acces points also have the future to act as repeater.

Then u dont have to wire the acces point to your router, just place it somewhere between u and the router and it will pick up the wireless signal from router and send it further.

This one could work for u: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16833124012

Some acces points also have the future to act as repeater.

Then u dont have to wire the acces point to your router, just place it somewhere between u and the router and it will pick up the wireless signal from router and send it further.

This one could work for u: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16833124012

that one does not work as a repeater herrie. Before I got out of the Marine Corps I built a very simple wireless network using those access points and the linksys router. They had to be cabled as they were not able to be used as a repeater. fun fun in a solid brick building.

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

I actually have a pretty extensive wireless background and well here's your problem.

N uses the same frequency as A, in which is 5 Ghz. The issue with 5Ghz is that it has lots of bandwidth, but it doesn't have a ton of range. Hense the reason why B and G started using 2.4 Ghz (along with everything else), but 2.4 is lacking channel space.

If you want to stick with N, you'll need to put up another Acces point in your place in which sits inside of the coverage path of the main AP and make then repeaters. This will give you the range that you need.

BTW, The only real benefit to N is channel space. Truly no computer will benefit from the added bandwidth unless you are running applications like Voip in which can utilize the available bandwidth. People have this idea that faster means better, but XP and Vista can't even travel at 100M over copper, let alone over wirless (and for the Skeptics, yes I have benchmarked this with network utilization tools at my office).

Kev

2k6 Dodge Ram 2500...CUMMINS POWERED - SOLD