Second Skin Audio

Is A Tunnel Tuned?

raytard

Ok, so im bored and was thinking, either I have to leave my car alone the way it is and just start saving my money, which is boring, or I should just get over it and do something really nuts, like removing whats left in the rear and walling it off, tunnel style (im thinking something along the lines of the hooptie, but toyota sized).

The main question was, is this a tuned affair? like do you tune this as if it were a 4th order bandpass, where the rears are sealed and the tunnel is the ported volume, with the mouth being the port? Is it simply 2 sealed boxes firing into "cabin air"?

This wouldnt be some one note wonder spl thing, it would be some dumb loud 3k-6k rms setup, with as much woofer as i can fit, but before i get this idea stuck in my head I figured I should atleast figure out how to design it.

Build: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/ind...hl=avalon+build

monster/rockford/kicker/stinger cables, pioneer source, jbl highs/amps, kinetik/shuriken batts, iraggi alt, dei security, dc subs(atleast for now)

Team DC

Ok, so im bored and was thinking, either I have to leave my car alone the way it is and just start saving my money, which is boring, or I should just get over it and do something really nuts, like removing whats left in the rear and walling it off, tunnel style (im thinking something along the lines of the hooptie, but toyota sized).

The main question was, is this a tuned affair? like do you tune this as if it were a 4th order bandpass, where the rears are sealed and the tunnel is the ported volume, with the mouth being the port? Is it simply 2 sealed boxes firing into "cabin air"?

This wouldnt be some one note wonder spl thing, it would be some dumb loud 3k-6k rms setup, with as much woofer as i can fit, but before i get this idea stuck in my head I figured I should atleast figure out how to design it.

No, Steve has said the Hoopty is not a tuned tunnel or bandpass, just two ported walls. If you want to see a mini-sized hoopty wall check out my build log! ;)

PTCary

2003 SMD PT Cruiser

2011 Honda CBR 250R

2010 Mazda 3i Sport

MY BUILD LOG

do you wanna stick with the sealed boxes or would you want to make them ported as well?

03 Trailblazer EXT LT

In Dash

Rear Flip Down

Polk Audio Font & Rear Stage

Hifonics Zeus 4 Chan Amp

Hifonics Brutus Mono Amp

12" Rockford Fosgate Power HX2

T-Line tuned to 45hz

18"BTL T-line @31Hz (9 weeks pregnant)

In a sense Steve's acts just like a sixth order parallel tuned bandpass, I don't think he designed it that way but the designs are identical. If your gonna run a tunnel you might as well make an extra baffle an experiment with a 4th order. If mine doesn't turn out the way I wanted then I'm going to take the baffle off and run a sealed box. Sixth order parallel tuned is the same thing as a three chamber dual reflex.

dualbpass3cham.gif

Drew

Ref's include: sundownz, army-killa, queball, wildsebring, foshay1123, greenman100, loud-n-low, acex3a, circa40, orangeless, PBateman,xtcxyooj, chaunb3400, oldschoolboomer, SPLluminator

ptcary, i looked at yours a while back, thats exactly what im shooting for=) just maybe 6 15's, 3 on each side, for volume sake, im not sure how much i can get out of this car yet, im a bit over 6 foot and the way i drive, my seat is about 6 inches behind the b-pillar already...

basically im saying, volume is most definately going to be an issue

and what i'm hearing is, i can run a parellel tuned 6th order, 4th order, two sealed walls, or two ported walls

6th order sounds pretty fun ;)

i guess when the temp gets out of the teen's i'll break out the tape measure and see exactly what kind of room i'm dealing with, eyeing it up i'd say 12-15cube total (my car is about 4ft wide and about as high, and i get 3ish feet from deck to seat, maybe more, maybe less, which by guesstimate means like 4 cubes for each side....which isnt reassuring, i have to go measure. I dont want to do a stright normal wall, but i feel like i could make a cut or two and work some magic with the trunk and squeeze 20 cubes or more out of the deal)

monster/rockford/kicker/stinger cables, pioneer source, jbl highs/amps, kinetik/shuriken batts, iraggi alt, dei security, dc subs(atleast for now)

Team DC

Not sure if you have enough room for 6-15's for any of those applications, I'm having problems trying to fit 4-15's in 18 cubes. If those are your measurements you have way more than 12-15 cubes.

Drew

Ref's include: sundownz, army-killa, queball, wildsebring, foshay1123, greenman100, loud-n-low, acex3a, circa40, orangeless, PBateman,xtcxyooj, chaunb3400, oldschoolboomer, SPLluminator

i really have to measure it, I'm hoping to be pleasantly surprised, but I really dont have half a clue as to how much airspace is in that thing right now

Team DC

Archived