What Screws Do You Use When You Build Your Boxes

Texas Tech

I know you asked James to answer this one, but IMO, I wouldn't use a screw of which the thread does not go all the way up the screw. Just my input.

when you use screws that don't have threads by the heads it actually pulls the 2 pieces of wood together better for a nice tight bond :)

apparently I need to read and type faster since this was already stated...lol

1990 Jeep Cherokee 4X4

Pioneer DEH-P2900MP, Big 3 done in 1/0, 1 run 1/0 ran to amp

DAT HF1000.1 #007 powering a DC lvl4 15

DAT HR 4085 prototype powering 2 Selenium 6s and 2 no name tweeters running active

1st place in AS3 @ Surf City Sound Off, 140.8 @ 45hz @ the headrest.

rebuild coming soon to get a better score :)

"I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when its components fail. There is no heaven of afterlife for broken down computers; that is a fairy story for people who are afraid of the dark."

I usually use 1 5/8" coarse thread drywall screws so I can lay down the bead of liquid nails. Yep.

Always pre-drill where your screws will be going also, MDF splits EASY.

bad to use liquid nails in my oppinion. unless you let it dry thouroughly before use. i have seen in the past a box blow apart(explode) from fumes building up and the heat from the coil or a spark from a loose contact ignited it. BOOM

when i use screws, on bigger boxes... i use Primegaurd Ten exterior screws made by Grip Rite.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/ind...showtopic=29213 "sleeper build"

(1) DC AUDIO Level4XL 10

(2) PowermasterD2700 batteries

ALL FOR SALE

TEAM DC AUDIO

TEAM DIRTFLOORPOOR

Say you are making a perfectly sealed, square enclosure. And you take two pieces of wood and make a corner of the box. You apply your wood glue, then attach the corner clamps, wouldnt those kind of screws crack the piece of wood that is getting the screw drilled in to its thickness (the .75" part of the wood)?

Baylor University

Accounting

The reason I asked James and posted that pic is because I posted a link to the same exact screws and Airborne said they would strip like a fucker.

Baylor University

Accounting

James, so you will be using screws like this

Posted Image

can you get these anywhere, or just somewhere specific? and are those self tapping?

1990 Jeep Cherokee 4X4

DAT HR 4085 prototype powering 2 Selenium 6s and 2 no name tweeters running active

"I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when its components fail. There is no heaven of afterlife for broken down computers; that is a fairy story for people who are afraid of the dark."

Shoot, I remember seeing someones build thread where they used the MDF screws like that, I remember they said they didnt have to predrill, and the wood barely cracked...

Baylor University

Accounting

nice :)

1990 Jeep Cherokee 4X4

So, like i said, he didnt predrill, but he did have a tiny, minimal cracking, which he said it was worth it to not predrill all the holes. I would probably predrill

Baylor University

Accounting

Archived