Second Skin Audio

Subwoofer Overheating?

t-roy

well this is just my temp. beats for know but all this stuff was bought brand new, but when it hits hard for 10 mins it kicks off for just a second the amp is cool but the dust cover on the sub is hot, either its the sub causin this or the amp is kicking off. unless the amp is have a voltage drop and kicking off, but its only 900 rms that shoulden be a problem but i don't know. and its back on by the time i get back to the trunk. maybe i will do a test with the trunk open.

clipping wont blow a sub, so i dont think it's sending DC current. doesnt it have to be converted to DC current? just as the amp converts it to AC current? but the clipping doesnt blow the sub, it's the heat that the clipping produces. i have a link at home that goes pretty in depth about it from some electrical engineers. either way clipping is bad

isnt that like saying that lightning dosn't actually hurt you just the electricity in the lightning? if clipping produces heat that blows your stuff then clipping blows your stuff right? not trying to be a smartass but i'm not sure i understand what you are trying to say.

isnt that like saying that lightning dosn't actually hurt you just the electricity in the lightning? if clipping produces heat that blows your stuff then clipping blows your stuff right? not trying to be a smartass but i'm not sure i understand what you are trying to say.

What he is saying is the clipping does not directly cause a speaker to blow, the heat generated by the speaker's excursion does because the sub does not travel in an alternating current, it is more flat, which does not allow the speaker to cool down by moving air around it. When the wave goes from rounded off to flat, it generates heat.

Car

1996 Sable LS

8,000K Bi-Xenon HID's

Pioneer Premier DEX-P1R

Diamond Audio D351, Diamond Audio D362i, Diamond D3TAK off Kicker ZX200.4

Custom 15" 13w7 motor, 3.5" aluminum coils dual 1 ohm off NV-AM25001

Dynamat Dynaliner Second Skin Damplifier Pro

Stock 130A Alternator

My Build

Truck

1995 Ford F-150 Flareside XLT

10,000K Bi-Xenon HID's, 15,000K Bi-Xenon HID's

Kicker KS6502, KS400 off Pioneer Premier PRS-D4100F

Truck Build

Ref(s) Rogers, Jared, Mikesmith0890, Twigz, DHFHades, BASS14, Solo_X18, mrafrica, camino_1to3, kickerassman

[speakerman9000] 5:43 pm: if sony sucks so bad how come my amps still work when i had 3 12s on it

[capalass23] 11:27 pm: wow u grand man poopin out babys like hto cakes

[KevinniveK] can u have sex later please hes helping me

What he is saying is the clipping does not directly cause a speaker to blow, the heat generated by the speaker's excursion does because the sub does not travel in an alternating current, it is more flat, which does not allow the speaker to cool down by moving air around it. When the wave goes from rounded off to flat, it generates heat.

x2, clipping cuts off the top and bottom of the sine waves (or now square waves) and makes the speaker stop for a short time when the cone pushes out and ditto for when the cone goes inwards...which generates heat. a perfect sine wave will have the speaker moving fluidly (sp?) and wont stop.

someone correct me if im wrong.

well this is just my temp. beats for know but all this stuff was bought brand new, but when it hits hard for 10 mins it kicks off for just a second the amp is cool but the dust cover on the sub is hot, either its the sub causin this or the amp is kicking off. unless the amp is have a voltage drop and kicking off, but its only 900 rms that shoulden be a problem but i don't know. and its back on by the time i get back to the trunk. maybe i will do a test with the trunk open.

Well we need to know what amp you are useing. Model number and all.

There is a big difference between a 900 watt Class A/B amp and a 900 watt Class D amp.

The Class A/B amp will pull alot of current the whole time its playing music and is not very efficient. 35 to 60 percent efficient depending on what amp.

The Class D amps are around 60 to 85 percent efficient and will not pull large amounts of current playing music until you start running the amp at clipping or its maximum cleanest output level.

Once a Class D amp gets to the point that its putting out its max output, only then will it start to pull large amounts of current compareable to a Class A/B amp. Usually this mostly only pertains to useing test tones.

If you have a Class A/B amp and your pounding it you might be pulling all of your reserve current from the battery, witch means your voltage could be dropping below what the amp takes to run and shutting it down for safety.

Next we need to know what ohm your subs are?

You could be tripping the impedence protection circuit on the amp or your amp is handleing the lower ohm load that it shouldn't be running and its making the amp heat up faster causing the thermal protection to kick in. (That is if you are running at to low of an ohm load? I don't know what ohm your subs are.)

Always check your ground wire going from the amp to the vehicles chassy. A very common probblem and to be on the safe side check your positive wire too.

Something else to think about is maybe your power and ground wires are too small for the amount of current you are pulling and that will make your amp heat up quick also and cause the amp to go into Thermal Protection.

Isobaric - Refers to the practice of coupling two drivers together to make them act as one.

"Giving up doesn't always mean you are weak; sometimes it means that you are strong enough to let go."

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

The Destruction of a person builds character.

Terryswork001.png

I just reread again.

I want you to check your ground wire first.

Second thing to do incase you messed up one of your subs already, is to pull them out of their boxes and check all your voice coils and see what they read. If one of them has a ohm number that is alot different than the rest, the woofer is shot.

Pass that test then I want you to take your hands and carefully and slowly move the cones in and out and see if you feel anything rubbing down in the pole piece,if there is that would mean that woofer is screwed too.

AND FOR GODS SAKE TURN YOU GAIN DOWN BEFORE YOU BLOW YOUR SUBS.

I mean its only a matter of time before you do blow one and if they are getting HOT and not just warm it shouldn't be too much longer.

Well atleast you'll get to take a woofer apart after it blows up and you can see what makes it work.

Isobaric - Refers to the practice of coupling two drivers together to make them act as one.

"Giving up doesn't always mean you are weak; sometimes it means that you are strong enough to let go."

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Terryswork001.png

Ask someone how to ohm out your speaker wires.(I'm tired of typeing) You could have a small short in one of your wires.

Terryswork001.png

overheating woofers smell somewhat like an illegal white substance

98 Jeep Wrangler

33x13.50 super swamper LTB's

Memphis M3 15"

Memphis MCD1000

Optima yellowtop D34/78

Bass Race 129.9

(LBZ Duramax in the future)

look at it as working out...try and do to many reps with out taking a break and you are goin to mess something up. same with your subwoofer(s) if it smells hot...turn it down for a while. also retune it so you dont get to that point again and you wont have to worry

98 Jeep Wrangler

33x13.50 super swamper LTB's

Memphis M3 15"

Memphis MCD1000

Optima yellowtop D34/78

Bass Race 129.9

(LBZ Duramax in the future)

Archived