XS Power

My Batteries Came Today, Couple Questions

Wow, this thread is still going. Needless to say I charged them before I installed them. Currently resting at just under 13volts in my car. I was on my way home to my parents to work on my setup when I hit a deer.

Posted Image

Here's a shot of my nearly completed wall:

Posted Image

And my ugly trunk:

Posted Image

Can't drive around at night with my like this, so I haven't gotten to listen to my setup much yet. :angry: Just glad the deer didn't hit the passenger side.

2001 Chevy Impala

Eclipse CD7200 mkii

Cactus Sounds 5kw

Sundown 100.4

(2) Fi BTL 18s (walled)

ID 6.5s (2 sets)

Iraggi 320 amp Alt

XS Power Batts

KnuKonceptz Wiring

MidwestSPL Scores:

152.0 Advanced 2

136.1 Extreme 3

I don't get that at all. I have never seen a battery draw that much current that it would "over-work" the alt. :blink:

Happens all the time. Ask anyone in the alt business. One of the main reasons alts die is from a weak or bad battery. Many times customers will buy a new alt after it goes bad and kill a brand new one because the battery was the original problem to begin with. Sometimes guys will buy a big alt to charge a big bank of batts... sure fire way to kill a brand new alt is to throw it on a big bank of batts that are dead. The alt builds heat (epecially at idle) and can melt the stator just like a subwoofer coil that has been overdriven.

XS POWER Batteries, Chargers & Accessories

888-4XS-POWER

Wow, this thread is still going. Needless to say I charged them before I installed them. Currently resting at just under 13volts in my car. I was on my way home to my parents to work on my setup when I hit a deer.

Posted Image

Here's a shot of my nearly completed wall:

Posted Image

And my ugly trunk:

Posted Image

Can't drive around at night with my like this, so I haven't gotten to listen to my setup much yet. :angry: Just glad the deer didn't hit the passenger side.

Sweet! Sorry to hear you hit a deer though!

XS POWER Batteries, Chargers & Accessories

888-4XS-POWER

any good agm charger should work I use a ctek 7000

so couldnt you just use something like a ctek 7000 instead of spending $300 on a 1005 Intelli-Charger? or does it make a huge diffrence? i would amagin that something like a ctek 7000 would take forever to charge

idk much about charging batteries and ive already had a bad experience with one (i nearly shit my pants from the explosion, good thing it was on a chrysler sebring where the battery is in the wheelwell)

Bass is my drug. One hit and i was hooked.

Happens all the time. Ask anyone in the alt business. One of the main reasons alts die is from a weak or bad battery. Many times customers will buy a new alt after it goes bad and kill a brand new one because the battery was the original problem to begin with. Sometimes guys will buy a big alt to charge a big bank of batts... sure fire way to kill a brand new alt is to throw it on a big bank of batts that are dead. The alt builds heat (epecially at idle) and can melt the stator just like a subwoofer coil that has been overdriven.

I could see you point about a battery that had shorted cells or some other major defect, but simply low charged batteries out of the box should not draw more power than the alt would be required to make when the audio is pumping. Let's take this guys specific example. He had a D3100 @ 12.74v and a D3400 @ 12.51v out of the box. How many amps of current would you expect to see these two batteries draw in order to charge? I would bet my left nut (right one is no good) that it would be less than 50A of draw to charge them. So what you are saying is that this guy would burn up his alt by pulling 50A to charge these? If that is true, then he has one POS alt and should NEVER install an audio system in that vehicle.

Agree?

Hmm... Scottie, I did some more research and have found that you have given other advice on a similar issue on another board. Here is a quote:

http://audioforum.termpro.com/topic/22/4999.html#000012

im using d2700.i havent charge it yet"fresh from the box,should i charge it first?".as for now im very satisfied and im seeing 12.4 and up from the amp input.stock alt..

If you've already installed it, I wouldnt worry about charging it with a charger. The alternator should do a good job as long as it is sufficient for the job.

--------------------

Scottie Johnson

Sound Pressure Technologies

So after reading your posts, I am confused if you really think that an alt is a safe charging method or not? I think most of us here want a real sound answer on this subject. I know this probably looks like I am trying to back you in a corner, I truly am not. I just want to get to the bottom of this issue once and for all. I know that you have been in this industry for years. I remember back before you joined PM, when you ran Optima batteries. I trust your advice.

I could see you point about a battery that had shorted cells or some other major defect, but simply low charged batteries out of the box should not draw more power than the alt would be required to make when the audio is pumping. Let's take this guys specific example. He had a D3100 @ 12.74v and a D3400 @ 12.51v out of the box. How many amps of current would you expect to see these two batteries draw in order to charge? I would bet my left nut (right one is no good) that it would be less than 50A of draw to charge them. So what you are saying is that this guy would burn up his alt by pulling 50A to charge these? If that is true, then he has one POS alt and should NEVER install an audio system in that vehicle.

Agree?

Just to clarify, I have a 200 amp alt.

2001 Chevy Impala

Eclipse CD7200 mkii

Cactus Sounds 5kw

Sundown 100.4

(2) Fi BTL 18s (walled)

ID 6.5s (2 sets)

Iraggi 320 amp Alt

XS Power Batts

KnuKonceptz Wiring

MidwestSPL Scores:

152.0 Advanced 2

136.1 Extreme 3

We recommend the 1005 Intelli-Charger, but if you have a normal "timer type" charger it is fine to use as long as you closely monitor the voltage. With a normal type charger use the trickle setting and monitor the voltage closely to make sure it doesnt exceed 14.9V.

Can / how do people do the MLA modules with them?

1st  SMD "System of the Month" Feb. 2007

Zapco Studio 500 (2)

Zapco Studio 300X

Zapco Studio 204 (2)

(2) FI 12ssd's w/ copper coils

DLS Iridium Tweeters

DLS UR2.5 MidRange

FI. N.7 Midbass

JL Audio TWK 88 

Mechman 370A Elite Alternator