Sonic Electronix

Richies Weird Ass Ground Problem

so, my friend Richard, whom I've been helping out for a while, has been having these very weird problems with ground.

the first time we noticed it, it managed to take my Beautiful SSL F100.4 (god I loved that small amp) and make it do 12V DC (yup, fried fets, or whatever kills amps)

the second time we noticed, the replacement amp on the tweets was whining, which changed pitch due to what his TAC was showing (raise)

and well, now the subs are popping and making this buzzing noise, mind you when we ran this amp plainly off a spare battery (clean turn on) it made no noise what so ever. Which is why I think its ground,

I checked the chassis of the vehicle with my multimeter and it was reading off 0.110VDC on the hatch, and 0.400VDC on his latch, 0.532VDC off the latch (basically any spot I sanded off with a wire brush)

any ideas?

1997 Pontiac Grand Am SE

Broke stock Head Unit

Stock speakers suck

-if I get a job, it gets 2 SA 8s in a 2.5cube box (roughly 2 cube with the port and woofers in)-

-oh, and a new HU and some speakers that dont suck. and possibly a new muffler and tint job (previous owners tint is smudging in the back, if you know how to get tint off a window without damaging the heating stuff, let me know!!!)-

I had a similar problem with my system. No matter what I changed, the whine was still there. I ended up running another ground to my HU and the problem went away.

No matter how hot she is, someone, somewhere, is sick of her shit.

99 Tahoe:

2-10" MA Audio

4-6.5" Kenwood door speakers

Total Amp

Sony HU

check all the body grounds and motor grounds. try running all grounds straight to the battery not the chassis then pull the RCA's and put in shielded ones, the alt whine could be from interference from nearby wires. ground loop isolators are available as a quick fix but only cover up the problem not fix it. post a vid of what is going on and we can help you track down the issue

2003 Ford F-150 Reg Cab layin body on 26's

2003 Tahoe 3/5 drop on 26's with a 408cid Supercharged engine.

2011 Camaro 2SS 2005 VW GTI Stage II ECU, CAI, 3" turbo back exhaust, FMIC, lowered 2" on some plastidipped 18's

2003 Hayabusa lowered, stretched, cams, nitrous and custom paint

Did you try to get a reading from the frame?

thats what I tried to say when I said off the latch, im not very good with words D:

anyway, that read that rating of 0.532 up there

1997 Pontiac Grand Am SE

Broke stock Head Unit

Stock speakers suck

-if I get a job, it gets 2 SA 8s in a 2.5cube box (roughly 2 cube with the port and woofers in)-

-oh, and a new HU and some speakers that dont suck. and possibly a new muffler and tint job (previous owners tint is smudging in the back, if you know how to get tint off a window without damaging the heating stuff, let me know!!!)-

What kind of radio is it?

-Installer for Duke's Car Stereo

2000 Pontiac Grand Prix - Ported Eaton M90 S/C, 3.5" pulley, XS Power Headers, 1.9 Rockers, FWI, Poly Motor Mounts, Custom Tune.

RF T1000-1bdCP and T400-4

Boston Acoustics SPG 555

Kenwood eXcelon 995

RF Punch 6.5" components and MB Quart Premium 6x9"s

Powermaster Alternator, YellowTop D34, Vmax CT1000

its a pioneer, not sure which exact one, its not outputing through RCAs right any more, we have a zune hooked up through a double-Y splitter to run the Highs and Lows (they were all controlled by two amps so we bypassed it until we can get more monies for a new HU)

1997 Pontiac Grand Am SE

Broke stock Head Unit

Stock speakers suck

Archived