Second Skin Audio

Whats The Best Wood?

What is the densest and lightest wood for building boxes.

I prefer densest over weight, but if theres one that is best in both which one is it?

Ive always used mdf do to pricing :(

I always read that Birch is the best. and Im going for performance, I have a truck so Im not to worried about the weight, but I get bad mpg as it is, so the lighter the better without sacrificing how dense the wood is.

Im pretty sure birch is going to be teh winner.

Boxes is going to be subs up, port back with a 4 layer top baffle, 2 layer sides (except the back by port which will be 3 layer), bottom maybe 1 or 2 layers (still undecided). :)

Oak 11ply $44 per sheet

maple 11ply $49 per sheet

birch 11 ply $54 per sheet

birch

EDIT: by the way ur avatar got me lol nice

Edited by Sp33dyG

the only person i wouldnt let build my box would be Ray.

Team Heavy-Flex4 SA 12's tuned to 29hz

Ampere Audio 3800.1 @ 1 ohmXS Power D3100Big 3Stock alt

Ive used birch lots and lots of times, and in my book, its probably the better wood Ive used, and what most people will say is best

I have been REALLY wanting to try some of that Oak 11 ply, looks great in MrPs build

sundown.jpg
I have a ritual called "terminator". I crouch in the shower in the "naked terminator" pose. With eyes closed I crouch for a minute and visualize either Arnie or the guy from the 2nd movie. I then start to hum the T2 theme. Slowly I rise to a standing position and open my eyes. It helps me get through my day. The only problem is if the shower curtain sticks to my terminator leg. It sorta ruins the fantasy.

that was 7 ply .75" oak :(

-Drew

well, I will look for 11 ply next time Iam at the wood store ;-)

sundown.jpg
I have a ritual called "terminator". I crouch in the shower in the "naked terminator" pose. With eyes closed I crouch for a minute and visualize either Arnie or the guy from the 2nd movie. I then start to hum the T2 theme. Slowly I rise to a standing position and open my eyes. It helps me get through my day. The only problem is if the shower curtain sticks to my terminator leg. It sorta ruins the fantasy.

that was 7 ply .75" oak :(

-Drew

Yea, my home depot looks like they got 7 ply 3/4inch and 11ply 3/4 inch, both the same price, all the others I mentioned are 11ply 3/4inch only.

I will admit, mr.p's box was sexy with the stain!! I liked that alot, you guys did a great job on it!! :P

Thanks Caddy for the Compliment :):good:

if 11ply is anything like 7ply (with less voids) i would say that would be the best. MDF feels flimsy now for some reason

-Drew

detail.gifI am a United States Military Arts and Crafts Professional. Sand it off, Paint it on. detail.gif

uhoh_45 said:
dont be a pussy P give the jeep to drew