Second Skin Audio

Poly Fill Or Sounddampining Or Nothing In Ported Boxes.

What do you use in your ported enclosures?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Materials for ported enclosures.

• No material at all.Fully empty.
    • Pollyfill
    • Materials that adheire to the walls only

I'm not staying on but I want to get an idea of how many peolpe use polyfill or any other sounddampining material in your ported box designs or do you usually run your ported boxes empty with nothing in it?

If you use something please tell what it is and why you use it.

Thank you.

Edited by ISO

Isobaric - Refers to the practice of coupling two drivers together to make them act as one.

"Giving up doesn't always mean you are weak; sometimes it means that you are strong enough to let go."

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

The Destruction of a person builds character.

Terryswork001.png

Ive ran a few boxs with and with out pollyfill and i didnt notice a difference but thats just me.

Never tried sounddampining.

2 Infinity Reference 1252w 12s

4.2 cubic foot box tuned to 28hz

Sub amp: 1 Profile AP1200

Speaker amp: 1 Sony Xplod XM-504z

Kenwood eXcelon KDC-X492

4 and 8 Gauge Knu

Big III In 1/0

All in my 90 Accord

f05112e8-c6ca-4f78-9a8d-47be99303c8b_zps

Diamonds are forever, but 9's end that shit fast....

I have been alittle curious about this.

I guess I should mention that these techniques are usually used more on the sound quaility of ported box design verse more SPL oriented installs.

I was also curious because I have mixed personal hands on experiences doing my enclosures.

One is my Kicker SPL/SQ ported box and Kicker recommended about 50% pollyfill for the design. Well it made it sound like shit and it is possible that I put too much fill in it but I was not impressed. (Slot Ported Enclosure)

Another example Is a box I designed and built for a friends car along time ago. I called up Powerbass and told the tech (actually I was lucky enough to get to talk to the enginer that made the sub and he was real cool and helpful) about my buddies musical prefrenceces and he helped me come up with a ported enclosure to suite his needs that used a 4 inch PVC pipe and 50% to light filling per cubic foot.

To my surprise it turned out to sound pretty good and my buddy whas thrilled to death with it.

I have been thinking about all of this lately and just got curious how everyone else likes their enclosuers built.

I do know the point of the polyfill is to help flatten out the frequency respone of a ported encloser, so I already know most of you SPL guys are going to run bare bones when it comes to a SPL designed enclosure for DB competition.

Edited by ISO

Isobaric - Refers to the practice of coupling two drivers together to make them act as one.

"Giving up doesn't always mean you are weak; sometimes it means that you are strong enough to let go."

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Terryswork001.png

Yes I did just vote for a totally empty enclosure, but thats because the only time you will see me running a ported design is if I'm doing something SPL related.

I use sealed box subwoofers in my personal daily installs for myself.

Terryswork001.png

Polyfil works excellent in sealed boxes, I know from experience I've got quite a bit in my enclosure at the moment. Whenever I build truck boxes or other enclosures where the situation demands a smaller box, I always allocate the need for polyfil in the design.

The trick is, if the volume is a little on the tight side, you can add it to compensate a tad bit for the small size. Not much, but in alot of cases where you've planned it from the beginning, you can get just enough.

With ported boxes, I know the principle, but have only had one go with it. The rule there is to buy the polyfil sheets and attach them to the inside walls of the enclosure. I would recommend just the staples from a standard stapler gun to attach it all around. With glues you're just risking getting those toxic fumes built up inside with your sub which is a no-no.

In my experience on ported though it was with two truck boxes I had in my 4x4 a while back. I did the same technique like I said and I can say I did notice a better result. It mimicked the more deeper boom that would have been achieved with a little larger box, which in the end is what adding polyfil is all about.

I think the reason you don't really see polyfil used alot in ported enclosures is because most of these guys are just building their boxes to spec. from the get go, therefore they have no need to trick the sub into thinking the box is bigger, as it's already the perfect size.

userbar651078zu3.gif

MECP_SMALL.jpgCERTIFIED BITCHES!!!

Not being new at something doesn't mean anything. Just because a prostitute isn't new at what she does, doesn't change the fact that she still 'sucks'

Click to see my build!

Proud DC owner

why sealed for daily use?

Number 1: I have a weird thing for sub-sonics. 10 hertz to 20 hertz can be kinda neat.

Number 2: is I'm still old school with old fashion beliefes and feel when building a sound quaility vehicle a sealed enclosure is the best way to go.

Now we have companies like FI,DC,DD and hell even my original Kicker L7s are subwoofers that have either excellent SQ or from what I have read have excellent SQ in ported enclosures.

And If I run DC I will have to use ported encloses, but I think my next subs are going to be 4 10 inch Kicker SOLO Classics once the price evens out on Ebay.

I put a word out to a man about an 18 but I don't know if I'll hear back from him.

Terryswork001.png