Does Fatter Wire Really Stop Headlight Dim

I thought it was the new amp at first (even though is substantially bigger than any I had before) because i first tested it with the new 4 gauge wire, but now that its running lightly off 8 gauge (until tonight when I redo it) the lights are dimming again.

So it appears even with the 8 gauge ground, that just running 4 gauge knu cca is stopping dimming? Is this probably the case?

images-1.jpg

what? are you trying to say when u had 8ga power n ground it didnt dim, n when u upgraded to a 4 ga power it started dimming?

1997 4 Runner

Alpine CDA-9886

4 Fi Audio X Series 12's

1 Crunch GP3000D Pro

DC Power Inc. Alternator(Kickin out 15+ volts!)

footer-fade.gif

I thought it was the new amp at first (even though is substantially bigger than any I had before) because i first tested it with the new 4 gauge wire, but now that its running lightly off 8 gauge (until tonight when I redo it) the lights are dimming again.

So it appears even with the 8 gauge ground, that just running 4 gauge knu cca is stopping dimming? Is this probably the case?

I'm surprised that the amp isn't cutting out if it's a larger one. Larger wire with a higher strand count will allow more current to pass up until a certain point. Check your fuse rating and compare it to an ampacity table for wire to determine the minimum that you should have.

I suggest just upgrading to 1/0 all around though.

Need an install? Hit me up.
[email protected]

Got car audio questions? Check here first!
Everything you need to know. =]

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/83029-everything-you-need-to-know/

what? are you trying to say when u had 8ga power n ground it didnt dim, n when u upgraded to a 4 ga power it started dimming?

Sorry if I explained it bad.

I'm saying the opposite. 4 gauge no dim, but 8 has dim

I'm surprised that the amp isn't cutting out if it's a larger one. Larger wire with a higher strand count will allow more current to pass up until a certain point. Check your fuse rating and compare it to an ampacity table for wire to determine the minimum that you should have.

I suggest just upgrading to 1/0 all around though.

Sorry, my 'large' is different than other people's large. Its only running at 656w rms (2 ohms) so I'm covered. 80 amp fuse. The specs say min 6 gauge wire, so I'm going already above and beyond.

I'm just wondering if I'm crazy or the difference in wire stops dimming somehow.

images-1.jpg

Are you feeding the wire ham sammiches? That would make me dim too.

Back to the wire, yes, your 4 gauge wire will let more current pass through than your 8 gauge. Try to put the same current through your 8 gauge and some of the amperage comes out as heat. How warm does the 8 gauge ground get?

2 - Audiopipe AP30001Ds

1 - Lanzar Opti Scion 600.4

4 - Lanzar Optidrive 1232D's

1 - Lanzar Opti 5.1

1 - Lanzar Opti 6.1

1 - Lanzar Opti 6C midbass

1 - Alphasonic PCT6551

1 - Lanzar VX830

1 - JBL 22 band EQ

1 - Lanzar SDBT75NU

1 - AudioControl Epic160

I suppose I should give it the heat test. I haven't noticed it warm at the end going into the amp, but I haven't really grabbed it. I'll do that today @ lunch.

Also, it seems the 8 gauge is letting more engine noise into the amp too, but I again, I can't tell if thats me or what. I really want to get rid of that noise.

images-1.jpg

I suppose I should give it the heat test. I haven't noticed it warm at the end going into the amp, but I haven't really grabbed it. I'll do that today @ lunch.

Also, it seems the 8 gauge is letting more engine noise into the amp too, but I again, I can't tell if thats me or what. I really want to get rid of that noise.

It's also possible that your ground point sucks. Try to find a spot on the chassis to ground to if the noise is bad.

EDIT:spelling

Edited by Neo_frog

Need an install? Hit me up.
[email protected]

Got car audio questions? Check here first!
Everything you need to know. =]

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/83029-everything-you-need-to-know/

I stopped using 8 gauge when i got above 400 rms...youre running more than that...

And 80 amps is too much for 8 gauge IMO...

x2 on finding a better ground....

DAT 4125------>RE XXX comps active

Eclipse cd7000

I serve drunks for a living :D