Sundown Audio

What Are All These Knobs For?

slugdub

I need help making sure I got this right because I had it backwards & confused for 2 days and it sounded like ass and quiet too. Doh!

Ok, so understand my last Clarion deck lasted me years and years and had nothing but RCA out from the FRONT to my sub and amp. Fun. Also we didn't have any of these fancy filters and Q-Bass technology and whatnot. HP and LP were fancy boxes people got because they didn't know how to set their controls.

So now I got on the sub's amp:

Input Signal Sensitivity (fine for now, I guess... about 3/4)

HP - Set exactly halfway to 220 hz, so I think about 100

Low Pass - Set lowest it goes, 20 hz. I'm in a sealed box so I figure I'm fine

Bass Boost - won't touch it, don't need it. I think its rubbish anyway. Plus I can't push my speakers too far because they are breaking in for next 2 weeks.

Head Unit:

High Pass: Set to 100 hz for the apparent safety of my rear 6X9 and 4X6 ??

Subwoofer Settings 2: Default is 80 hz, now its at 100. Should it meet the other speakers halfway at that frequency?

Its so damn loud right now I'm scared to go past 49% volume and I have the Sub Src settings in the negative 4 range on the HU. Equalizer is flat (after I just ran tests and turned off processing). No Loudness. No boost. Flat.

images-1.jpg

not sure if you said it wrong, but if you have a hpf on your sub....it shouldn't be playing. Your lpf on your sub should be at about 80-100 hz, and NO high pass filter. If you are going to use the filters on both your head unit and amp make sure that they are set to the same freq.....oh, www.bcae1.com is a great site to read up on all this

Orion 2500D, Jbl Gto 75.4

Team Wolfpack Audio FSQ 15" d2, mb quart xover, tweets peerless 6.5 mids

Alpine cda-105

optima up front Knu klm 1/0

not sure if you said it wrong, but if you have a hpf on your sub....it shouldn't be playing. Your lpf on your sub should be at about 80-100 hz, and NO high pass filter. If you are going to use the filters on both your head unit and amp make sure that they are set to the same freq.....oh, www.bcae1.com is a great site to read up on all this

Well yeah, that is what had confused me too. Its a strictly mono sub amp, so the high pass (took me a bit to figure this out) is apparently limiting how high the subs will go. The low pass how low.

The filters on the HU are the opposite. Low pass limits how high and high pass limits how low the other speakers go? This is what I have noticed.

Here is the amp btw:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-mxaLuNGc7Uv/p...rence-611a.html

and thanks for the link!

images-1.jpg

According to the manufacturer specs at Crutchfield, that amp doesn't have high pass xover. Can you take a picture of it?

I can, but only later tonight. There are 4 knobs. Gain, HP, LP and Bass Boost. Here is how crutchfield describes the middle two knobs (that I am referring to)

Dynamic Bass Optimization (DBO): The Dynamic Bass Optimizer (DBO) is used to enhance low frequency reproduction in your vehicle. Conventional bass-boost circuits only increase bass at a fixed frequency, and cause the amp to consume considerable power. The DBO allows you to adjust the frequency (20Hz - 80Hz), as well as the boost level (up to 12dB), allowing you to fine-tune the bass in your system to optimize performance. The frequency control is a high-pass filter which can be used as a subsonic filter.

Low Pass Filter: The 611a has a variable 12dB per octave, 32-320Hz low pass filter.

So I guess I am talking about the 2nd one (i swear its labeled hp). that allows you to filter the range?

images-1.jpg

I'm so mixed up. I think I have the idea though. The Low filter is actually a low filter (like the HU) and I guess that is the one I have set halfway (I thought it said up to 220hz).

The other one is all the way down.

So.. should I use bass boost? LOL. I can't see the graphs in my head, which is probably helpful for those who can.

images-1.jpg

take a pic

and if its too loud, its probably the "input sensitivity" aka, the gain knob

if its what i think...:

set the low pass approx 80-90hz

dbo is tied too boost, if boost is 0, dbo is zero...so it doesnt matter too much, i'd leave it somewhere like 45ish hz

turn your gain all the way to the "12v" side, or whatever side is highest(almost always to the left, its the quiet side), put your deck up as loud as your interiors can handle (if they're on an amp, do the same thing with the gain pinned to the highest number and turn the deck up to like 90% its output, mine goes to 61, i tuned it at 54)

with the deck up that high, slowly turn the knob up until you feel like it's about to clip, play a loud song as reference, something like "bubble up" by gucci mane, or "show stoppers" by danity kane or "hypnotize" by jeezy....loud, constant bass with varied notes

again, you're trying to turn it up to a point where you can audibly hear it clip, and then back off like 1/8th turn or so

this is like the most basic way of tuning it, its not guaranteeing an unclipped signal or whatever, but if you have a decent ear you should be fine

and dont be suprised if it ends up really low, mine is barely 1/4 the way up with this h/u, with my old alpine it had to be like 7/8ths the way up cuz the output voltage was so low

Build: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/ind...hl=avalon+build

monster/rockford/kicker/stinger cables, pioneer source, jbl highs/amps, kinetik/shuriken batts, iraggi alt, dei security, dc subs(atleast for now)

Team DC

with the deck up that high, slowly turn the knob up until you feel like it's about to clip, play a loud song as reference, something like "bubble up" by gucci mane, or "show stoppers" by danity kane or "hypnotize" by jeezy....loud, constant bass with varied notes

again, you're trying to turn it up to a point where you can audibly hear it clip, and then back off like 1/8th turn or so

this is like the most basic way of tuning it, its not guaranteeing an unclipped signal or whatever, but if you have a decent ear you should be fine

and dont be suprised if it ends up really low, mine is barely 1/4 the way up with this h/u, with my old alpine it had to be like 7/8ths the way up cuz the output voltage was so low

Well this part I believe I have under control. Its not too loud exactly, its too loud for my other speakers (another issue I knew would happen) and its never too loud for me :D Just imbalanced.

This I am not worried about. I bought a DMM yesterday and tested the output voltage last night. The chart said it should be @ 36.22 volts, but I got to 18 and left it (darn thing would only go to 20).

I'm not really worried about gain, its the other knobs.

images-1.jpg