? About Forming Plastic ? Liquied Plastic

Big P

i need to form a peace of plastic to fit the curve and radius of my dash board. Is there a special kind of plastic I can buy to do this? and how would I go about doing this?.

My friends grandma used to use this stuff called liquid plastic to fix dolls she made. I saw a member using it not to long ago. whats its real name i/e what do you ask for when your at the store. How do you work with it.

I was thinking i could use the liquid plastic to adhere the new plastic peace to the dash.

i need to form a peace of plastic to fit the curve and radius of my dash board. Is there a special kind of plastic I can buy to do this? and how would I go about doing this?.

My friends grandma used to use this stuff called liquid plastic to fix dolls she made. I saw a member using it not to long ago. whats its real name i/e what do you ask for when your at the store. How do you work with it.

I was thinking i could use the liquid plastic to adhere the new plastic peace to the dash.

Do you have any pictures of what your trying to do....

My MainMan,My lil Man,Dude,Bubb....My son Memphis @ 3years OldShow'em that car son..........

I want to fill in were the air vents are for some gauges possibly 97 s10 right now my decks there but the glass cracked because a gm repair man dropped it then tripped on it so im giving up on glassing it and going this route

Posted Image

I would use ABS. You can heat it with a heat gun and bdend it where you need it. I used this on my console. I would then CA glue it in place and then finish it.

I used Fibertech as my first finish layer. its made to bond to plastic. Now there is stuff called "liquid plastic" that a place puts out, but not naming names, I heard from a person on another board thats this "liquid plastic" is fibertech re-packaged. Can i confirm this? NO . But I have owner both and they look the same to me. IMO

Posted Image

Posted Image

heres the thread with the pics

clicky here

heres an S10 dash i glassed. I did the front bezel the way i mentioned above

Posted Image

Posted Image

1st  SMD "System of the Month" Feb. 2007

Zapco Studio 500 (2)

Zapco Studio 300X

Zapco Studio 204 (2)

(2) FI 12ssd's w/ copper coils

DLS Iridium Tweeters

DLS UR2.5 MidRange

FI. N.7 Midbass

JL Audio TWK 88 

Mechman 370A Elite Alternator

I want to fill in were the air vents are for some gauges possibly 97 s10 right now my decks there but the glass cracked because a gm repair man dropped it then tripped on it so im giving up on glassing it and going this route

Posted Image

This would be a good one for Jon....(EpicenterDesigns).....dudes a S-10 Dash Mad Scientist....

My MainMan,My lil Man,Dude,Bubb....My son Memphis @ 3years OldShow'em that car son..........

Let me try to address all of this in 1 reply, starting at the top.

I would use some thin ABS and a heat gun and mold it to the contours you need to fill the hole. Then tack it in with CA glue as mentioned.

I also beleive the HZEmall plastic filler is the same as the FibreTech. Which is also the same as a couple other products by different companies.

I used the FibreTech stuff before to try it out after it was introduced. I was not impressed. Especially at it's price.

The Duramix 4040 is good stuff. But like was mentioned before, you have to buy a special application gun for it.

I use the SEM 40507 which is the same stuff by a differnt company. I chose this since I use alot of SEM materials already, and I got it all at a good price.

If you do not have or want to buy an application gun ($$$) Dominion Sure Seal makes some 2 part fillers that you mix yourself 1:1 and it works out good. IMO, better than the fibreTech.

Here is copy and paste from my repair sticky on www.fiberglassforums.com

Posted Image

XPSAP Semi-Rigid Epoxy is a two-component semi rigid modified epoxy designed as an “ALL PURPOSE” plastic repair material. XPSAP’s unique formulation allows you to use this product on the full spectrum of automotive plastics. When in doubt on which type of plastic (flexible, semi-rigid, or rigid) you are repairing use XPSAP. XPSAP is formulated to work on all plastics including the more common and also the traditional “tough to bond” plastics (TPUR, PUR, RIM, PP, TPO, TPE). This product is designed as an adhesive and filler to be used on the front and backsides of a repair. XPSAP can also be used over our Urethane Repair material (XSMAP, XSM11000). XPSAP is an outstanding Semi-Rigid filler that is commonly used as a glaze coat over all types of plastics due to its easy sanding and featheredging characteristics. XPSAP may also be used as a multipurpose adhesive. Some areas of use include: door skins (metal and plastic), rusted patch panels, backer panels (metal, SMC, Fiberglass, and Rigid Plastics), ground effects, etc. XPSAP bonds, fills, and sands with outstanding performance. This semi-rigid adhesive/filler is used and approved by automotive OEMs such as GM, Toyota, VW and many others. The “Original Plastic Surgery” as used by the professionals.

XRF Rigid Epoxy is a two-component modified rigid epoxy designed for the repair of rigid composite plastics and fiberglass. XRF is formulated to work on all rigid composite plastics including (SMC, BMC & RTM). XRF is ideal for use on fiberglass parts where extra strength is required. This product is designed as an adhesive and filler on the front and backsides of repairs. XRF can also be used over our Urethane Repair material (XSMAR). XRF is an excellent rigid filler that is commonly used by the professional plastic repairers due to its sanding, adhesion and featheredging characteristics. XRF may also be used to bond non structural metal, SMC, Fiberglass, Rigid plastics, and glass. XRF bonds, fills, and sands with no pinholes. This rigid adhesive/filler is also used and approved by automotive OEMs such as GM, Toyota, VW and many others. The “Original Plastic Surgery” as used by the professionals.

OEM Approved Epoxy

Rigid Bonding & Plastic Repair

XRFNTR is a two-part Rigid Bonding epoxy designed for use on Rigid thermoset plastics and fiberglass. XRFNTR is formulated to Bond all Rigid plastics such as SMC, BMC, RTM, Fiberglass and all fiber reinforced plastics. Excellent on header panels & headlight housings and can be drilled & tapped.

Used and approved for Rigid Plastic Bonding or filling applications by many OEM such as GM, Toyota, VW and others. XRFNTR offers high heat resistance with excellent tooling. XRFNTR can also be used for the bonding of Non Structural metal panels if a two-part bonding adhesive is desired in a manual-mixing tube kit. XRFNTR may be used to bond patch panels, door skins, quarter panels, and most Non Structural metal panels. XRFNTR may also be used as a side channel glass adhesive. Please see “Instructions for Panel Bonding” prior to using as a metal bonder.

normal_EPICENTERDESIGNS_128.gif

Building The Best.....Repairing The Rest

The bitter after-taste of a poor quality job will last far longer

than the sweetness of that cheap price!

So basically once you decide what route you want to go with in the filler choice, you can prep it up and do the final coat with some rage filler and then filler primer.

All you need is time.

normal_EPICENTERDESIGNS_128.gif

Building The Best.....Repairing The Rest

The bitter after-taste of a poor quality job will last far longer

than the sweetness of that cheap price!

ok cool. I think im going to buy a new dash unless i can get my friend to media blast this one clean. Ive got a pretty good idea on what im going to try next. Ill post some pics when I start the new dash. Thanks for the info I appreciate it.

Archived