Burban Kicks Prt 2

pstone11

Well, after my previous attempt when my passenger kick panel cracked on install, I decided to pick up some new kicks from the junkyard and restart. They're going to be way stronger than before, Learn with failure I guess.

First off, I took some advice from groundpounder and drilled a ton of 1/4 inch holes all through the panel, then me and my son roughed it up w/ 36 grit on both sides. Then put down a layer of mat on the back, soaked the shit out of it with resin, let it tack up, then did the same thing with the front side.

After they dried and I sanded on them again, They went for a test fit, so far so good. I cut off the chevy mounting tab, and most of the mounting nipple, because those are what stressed the last panel when it broke. You really have to bend and pry to get them in with the tab and nipple on there.

post-15-1171482832.jpg

newkicks1.JPG_thumb

post-15-1171484624.jpg

newkicks2.JPG_thumb

post-15-1171484626.jpg

newkicks3.JPG_thumb

Check out StoneSounds to see my recent builds.Or look at the Flying White Facebook Page!

Next was to get the rings in there - got them lower and facing more in the right direction than the qforms were.

So I decided to cover these in nylons, they are easy to work with and really stretchy - It made forming to the hood release hole way easier than last time.

post-15-1171483061.jpg

newkicks4.JPG_thumb

post-15-1171484859.jpg

newkicks5.JPG_thumb

post-15-1171484861.jpg

newkicks6.JPG_thumb

Check out StoneSounds to see my recent builds.Or look at the Flying White Facebook Page!

this is after about three really light coats of resin. The nylon is stretchy, so I didn't want to weight it down and have low spots. It's pretty solid really...

Since this, I've just been laying a really thick layer of resin on the inside, sealing it up and making it stronger.. maybe more pics tomorrow or so..

The old post was "burban kicks, 1st fiberglass"  - If you want to compare, let me know how I'm doing..

post-15-1171483230.jpg

newkicks7.JPG_thumb

post-15-1171485034.jpg

newkicks8.JPG_thumb

Archived