Are My Kinetiks Toast?

If it's a three-stage charger or microprocessor or intelligent charger, then you should be ok. Read the manual to find out exactly what's entailed with the maintainer setting.

But I would just get new ones through warranty. Only takes about 5 or 6 days.

Need an install? Hit me up.
[email protected]

Got car audio questions? Check here first!
Everything you need to know. =]

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/83029-everything-you-need-to-know/

If it's a three-stage charger or microprocessor or intelligent charger, then you should be ok. Read the manual to find out exactly what's entailed with the maintainer setting.

Well I am pretty sure they only have a 1 year warranty. So if I am remembering correctly, I believe I am a few months past that. I got them from a shop that I used to be part owner of. It went out of business, so I took some of the stuff that had not sold. I don't remember when we actually ordered them in for store stock.

I am pretty sure the charger is not a 3 stage. It just has multiple settings for time and voltage to charge. For the 12v side, it only has Maintainer, 10 amps, 40 amps, and then the 200 amp car start.

I will do some checking today to see what is available out there. My buddy said he has a 2amp trickle charger, so I might give that a try as well. What are some usual retail prices for the chargers you guys are recommending? That way I might be able to narrow down what I am looking for if the price is not on par. I am looking for something that is talks about a microprocessor or intelligent charger correct?

Remember, I am a noob when it comes to batteries. I was part owner of a stereo shop for 3 years, but the battery knowledge I have consisted of swapping out stock batteries for the Kinetiks and installing HO alternators. I do have a load tester, but figured if I can't get the batteries to even maintain a 12 v charge, its pointless to test them for load handling right now.

Thanks

Shawn

Was there possibly any draw on the batteries over that time? It's possible that you've run them completely completely flat.

If you're reading lower than 10.8v you probably have bad/short cells in there, personally I wouldn't be within 10ft of batteries reading like that :P

Lucky they're sealed, if they go bad on the charger they'll probably just whistle and bubble a bit but IMO keep a fire extinguisher nearby, haha.

goodgrammarbc7.gif

10.x volts fo' life!

Was there possibly any draw on the batteries over that time? It's possible that you've run them completely completely flat.

If you're reading lower than 10.8v you probably have bad/short cells in there, personally I wouldn't be within 10ft of batteries reading like that

Lucky they're sealed, if they go bad on the charger they'll probably just whistle and bubble a bit but IMO keep a fire extinguisher nearby, haha.

I would assume there was a draw from just the normal car draw for clocks, computers etc. I found it weird that less than a month ago, it started up just fine, but it was probably pretty low and had just enough to start it the last time. And I realize that what little bit I actually let it run, was not going to recharge the batteries completely. I borrow my buddies charger to see if that does anything. I set it for a 2 amp, no maintanence deep cycle battery. I will be checking it every hour or so to see if its getting hot. If it starts to get hot or boil, it will tell me they are toast. Just figured it was worth a shot to try all the free stuff first. I have talked to others that said they have brought batteries back from the dead, so it won't hurt to try.

I would contact Kinetik and find out. Usually if you leave your vehicle sit for extended periods of time it is recommended to have a maintainer on them or disconnect the batteries.

I plan to call them on Monday and see what sort of options I have. If I can get them replaced under warranty or even an after warranty discount, I might go that route. If I am stuck replacing them at normal price, I will probably just switch brands. Which will suck because I will have to redo my battery brackets and possibly redo my entire spare tire area as well.

I find it a little funny that my truck battery has been sitting for over 2 years in the truck, and still had a decent charge. And thats a cheap Optima. LOL.

Shawn

I have a redipulse-pro that does a hell of a job bringing batteries back.

I find it a little funny that my truck battery has been sitting for over 2 years in the truck, and still had a decent charge. And thats a cheap Optima. LOL.

Shawn

Does your truck have the same stuff hooked up to it? If you went to the corvette forums and tried to say an optima lasts 2 years sitting under the hood you would be bludgened. What is all hooked up in the vehicle with issues?

Does your truck have the same stuff hooked up to it? If you went to the corvette forums and tried to say an optima lasts 2 years sitting under the hood you would be bludgened. What is all hooked up in the vehicle with issues?

Well right now, the only thing hooked up in the car is the factory computer, factory clock, my aftermarket headunit, headrest monitors, aftermarket alarm(unarmed) and my compressors. I have the wire off the pressure switch so they can't turn on, the radio and headrest monitors are all off as well. The truck would be the factory radio, factory computer,the Accel DFI, and the aftermarket alarm(unarmed).

Do electronics pull that much juice when they are turned off? Not saying the Optima is a better battery. I know it is not. Just found it funny that it has sat for 2 years hookedup and still has juice, and the 3 Kintetiks sat for 5 months and are that drained down. LOL.

Shawn

Well right now, the only thing hooked up in the car is the factory computer, factory clock, my aftermarket headunit, headrest monitors, aftermarket alarm(unarmed) and my compressors. I have the wire off the pressure switch so they can't turn on, the radio and headrest monitors are all off as well. The truck would be the factory radio, factory computer,the Accel DFI, and the aftermarket alarm(unarmed).

Do electronics pull that much juice when they are turned off? Not saying the Optima is a better battery. I know it is not. Just found it funny that it has sat for 2 years hookedup and still has juice, and the 3 Kintetiks sat for 5 months and are that drained down. LOL.

Shawn

My vehicle sat outside for all winter no starting for 3 months nothing disconnected and it still started fine, and it has a kinetik. IIRC still read over 12.8v. Something in your car drained your batteries from what I can tell.

My vehicle sat outside for all winter no starting for 3 months nothing disconnected and it still started fine, and it has a kinetik. IIRC still read over 12.8v. Something in your car drained your batteries from what I can tell.

Well that does not sound fund to test. Haha. Is the usual test to find a drain still connecting a volt meter to the negative terminal and then start pulling fuses? I have heard lots of different ways to look for electrical draws.

Is there a somewhat easy but effective means for testing this sort of thing?

Shawn