Sonic Electronix

Restoring A Old Car, Need A Little Help With The System

My cousin is semi-restoring one of his '69 camaro's to make a nice weekend driver car. The whole car has been completly gutted and we layed raamat and the sound pad in all of the interior. He is wanted a pretty nice stereo system to listen too, nothing real fancy just good clean sound. The dash has built-in stereo knob cutouts so this is the stereo he is going with because of the ipod function. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1969-Chevy-...2QQcmdZViewItem

For components I have been looking at these http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseac...Product_ID=3341 . They are going in some custom kick panels from a local shop. Now my questions that I have. There isn't going to be any subwoofer only mids and highs. Will this component set have enough output to make up for it or should I look at a diffrent set of speakers? I am also wondering about rear-fill, Do I need it with a good component set up front? If I do use rear-fill they will be 6x9 because the rear deck has a trim pad cut out for them. As far as the amp I have'nt decided yet because of the rear-fill question. His budget is between $600-$900 for just a real simple system that a nice clean sound and a tiny bit of bump. Any help and or suggestions will be greatly appericated.

Also megalomaniac do you know of any local shops that can make a set of fibreglass kick panels for a resonable price. I was thinking about having earmark in plano make them.

I would still recomend just one 10 inch sub. Because you wil be getting such good midbass and highs from those speakers you want to match it with an even amount of bass. And if he wants a CLEAN sounding system just one 10" with 200 watts RMS will make it equal. My dad just wanted a clean sounding system we put mtx speakers throughout and 400 watt mtx amp. We still needed that little bit of bass so the 10" sub works perfect. Just my oppionion though.

System Specs:

Alpine SWR-1542D 15" sub

Sealed Subwoofer Box

MTX mxa 6001 Class D 774watts RMS @ 2ohms

MTX Bass Knob

Pioneer 6.5's in doors

MTX Thunderdome 6x9 in rear

Stinger 1 Farad capacitor

80 amp stinger fuse

BIG 3 in 4 gauge wire

4 gauge power/ground wire

JVC MP3 CD Car Deck (KD-G320)

12 gauge Monster speaker wire to Sub

16 gauge Stinger speaker wire to doors

Stinger Gold Plated Battery Terminals

My only input on this is the deck. I recently did an install where a customer brought in one of those "retro" decks. First off let me say that it was a total nightmare getting the deck in on time. He was told that they had to special make his deck for his Buick. It took 3 months to get it in and all this hype was for a Kenwood 801 with a Buick sticker over the kenwood badge. The other bitch to it was the "factory" knobs that came with it were nothing like the ones he had. In fact the trim ring to get that custom fit was no more then a rubber sleeve. iIsay save a buck and get the deck from any audio shop, get your own stickers and use the old knobs from the factory deck. We waited another 6 months for the cd changer to come in cause they were having that made as well.

Designing, building, and shipping boxes. Yahoo IM - kingsuv00If the listening level is too loud, please inform the driver, so he can promptly pull over, and let you out.

not many cars can get me to pluggin my ears but this one.......damn. I mean the first minute is ok but that thing just really starts digging deeper and deeper in your earhole till you cant stand it no more. Seems like it does it with relative ease....16 12's on 8 amps.........gotta love it. :)

As far as the sub goes, believe me I wanted to add one but there really isn't any place. The trunk is being completly sealed off from the cabin and there will be no sound deading in the trunk because it is all exposed metal no trim panels or carpet just like it is from the factory. The only way I saw to do it was when we sealed off the cabin from the trunk was to use some mdf and mount the speaker in that behind the rear seats but he didn't really want to do that so now it has been covered with a sheet of metal with raamat on it.

He is not opposed to buying one at a local stereo shop. The only problem I see is them having one that will fit with a semi-factory look. He bought a brand new dash that holds the radio and it has two knob holes cut out in it for the volume and tunning and he dosen't want to cut it to make a updated stereo fit there. The only other thing I thought about was too put a dummy stereo in the stock location and remote mount a updated stereo in the glovebox or somewhere but cost will be a issue with that fabricating a good looking housing for the new unit.

Ya if you dont have the space then just make sure you go for good quility speakers and a good amp. Keep us updated on wat you do.

System Specs:

Alpine SWR-1542D 15" sub

Sealed Subwoofer Box

MTX mxa 6001 Class D 774watts RMS @ 2ohms

MTX Bass Knob

Pioneer 6.5's in doors

MTX Thunderdome 6x9 in rear

Stinger 1 Farad capacitor

80 amp stinger fuse

BIG 3 in 4 gauge wire

4 gauge power/ground wire

JVC MP3 CD Car Deck (KD-G320)

12 gauge Monster speaker wire to Sub

16 gauge Stinger speaker wire to doors

Stinger Gold Plated Battery Terminals

I would go with a dummy route, I wasn't happy with the, it looks factory, cause what you see in pictures it not what your going to get. I have pics of the 1 I installed and will post my gripe about it when I get home, It's something everyone should know but I haven't had time to do it.

Designing, building, and shipping boxes. Yahoo IM - kingsuv00If the listening level is too loud, please inform the driver, so he can promptly pull over, and let you out.

not many cars can get me to pluggin my ears but this one.......damn. I mean the first minute is ok but that thing just really starts digging deeper and deeper in your earhole till you cant stand it no more. Seems like it does it with relative ease....16 12's on 8 amps.........gotta love it. :)

If you don't have any room for subs then a 6x9 can do okay to make up for the lake of sub bass. Through as much power to them as you can. The bass will definatly be lacking but better then nothing. I've never used these but they may be just what you are looking for http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseac...Product_ID=3077.

Since these are dedicated midbass drivers try to enclose them. Also I would use a 4 - channel amp. Runt the front channel in stereo to your front stage and bridege the rear cahnnel to the midbass drivers. GOOD LUCK!!!

Archived