this just isn't the kind of "build" thats appreciated around here. Seems to be either full out cars, or nothing.

what are you talking about holmes?

this takes skill.

everyone appreciates it they all have senioritis and don't want to post anything haha.

if it makes you happy thats all that should really matter.

Wouldnt be thehoe92 without teh purple

I didn't mean that harshly or anything, I just notice this drops off the first page very quickly as people only seem interested in the other threads with 5000000000 other pages.

most of the stuff I've seen in here too, just seems to be really big shit, full systems and custom cars, not just a single piece of a car.

just wait til I get the new pics up.... this thing is blowing even my mind.

I had to actually rebuild some of the curve in the panel as I sanded a bunch off..... you would never know that it was ever done by hand. it blends and conforms perfectly to the shape and contour of the panel.

MORE!!

The back of the panel, filled in with body filler, sanded with a dremel and conical bit. Didn't need much work here, this is just to secure it all up and prevent it from falling in should it ever come loose. I don't know if it's ever made visible, but there is an angle on the dge of the plastic so it sort of "wedges" into the hole. It was then super glued in place, and filled with body filler. At this point it was heated to relieve stress from where the lexan had to bend slightly to match the contour of the panel.

Posted Image

I didn't take any pics for the next part, but it was basically just putting on a coat of primer to find any edges or corners that didn't blend in, and sanding it all down again. Once sanded I would feather the unblended edges with 220, 360, and finally 600 grit paper. more primer and blending..... many many hours of this sanding, I sanded the entire panel by hand using the same 3 grits of paper.

Here is what it looked like after a black coat of tremclad rust paint. This was a mistake as the panel wasn't sanded at all, and was just painted. No prep at all, this was just to see how it would look...... this paint left a thick coat that was damn near impossible to get off and if it wasn't for tool to follow, I never would have sanded this paint off again. Also acetone helped wipe it right off... no panel damage either.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

You can see that during my original run of using the below mentioned tool to remove the rubber coating on the upper part, I managed to wreck the edge on the curve. I can fix this.....

Posted Image

There was also a rubber type coating on this panel, I needed to get it all off. I did so using this

Scotchbrite Finishing Flap Brush, 7A VFN, I can provide part numbers if interested but these are damn expensive, and I use them at work, so it was a tool I had access to.

This worked on the open easily accessible spots. The tight areas and corners were done with a Dremel and a wire wheel, and one of the wire brushes thats straight, for the corners. Time consuming.

Posted Image

Posted Image

So now it was back to the green plastic, with no rubber coating. Time for more sanding. I sanded the entire damn thing all over again. I also had a couple of gouges to fix from the wire wheel. Don't get me wrong, it works great and is actually fairly easy to NOT damaged the plastic, but I got carried away once or twice.

A quick coat of primer on the area I was working on to see how everything will look. Looking pretty damn good.

Posted Image

Time now for, you guessed it, more $%^@ sanding. sanding by hand, smoothing it all out, must ensure perfection. I also fixed the edge that was damaged earlier. Body filler is your friend. and I have NEVER used this stuff before this project.

Posted Image

Here it is as it stands right now. All I really need to do is....... &^*@$^&*Q$ sand it. rough up this surface for it's final coat of black paint.

Posted Image

Posted Image

My only problem at this point is deciding which paint to use as the final coat. This rust paint seems to be damn good stuff, so I was thinking of using that and a clear coat. I would like to know what would be a good paint that will hold up over YEARS in the hot(and cold) cab of my car. I want something just a little shiner than a flat. Something between flat black and semi-gloss. I want it to look like it belongs in a car.

• 2 weeks later...

a satin trim paint should give you the finish you are looking for.....

You are from london..... I am from st thomas.. do you have any pictures of your car, I may have seen you around

My car was purchased from Disbrowe in St. Thomas, it was previously owned by a Brian Linclon.

You may have seen me around, I've been lost in ST once or twice :) I did a full burnout down talbot trail last weekend..... she shifted through all the gears and just kept peeling out until I called it quits...... I love wet roads ;)

Anyway, here is a small update.

Not much to report here. Since this is almost done I only have to give it a final wet sand and coat of paint, and maybe some kind of sealer or clear coat.

Right now I just used Tremclad rust paint, it's what I had and allowed me to do it now. This is after a layer of primer about 1/16" thick, and this coating of rust paint is about the same... might be closer to 1/32" for each.

As of right now I need to do the following to finish this up.

1.) purchase 2 more temp. displays

2.) wire up the Line-In port (doing that tonight)

3.) touch up the Line-In recess to be more perfect :)

4.) Box the idiot light circuit board to free up that DIN sized slot.

5.) figure out if the temp. displays can be wired to an op-amp to control a relay at a certain temp.

6.) figure out the placement of the second thermal probe.... what else could I be monitoring the temperature of?

anyway, pics.

Black painted bezel, with one dead display mounted, and the USB cable holder superglued in place.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Here are the temp. displays taken apart, as well as the component that I burned out when I wired the polarity backwards....stupid me.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

This is the assembly as it goes together piece by piece. I can NOT figure out how this works because there is no connection to the LCD screen and the circuit board. the LCD has only one line on it for the gauge, but when powered shows the rest. the clear plastic thing is just a small LED on a piece of plastic.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

That's about it for now. More to come later on as I slowly get this done.

Archived