Sonic Electronix

Question About Powering An Amp

I was wondering for an amps do you use the total amount of fusing used on the amp to determine what power wire you may need. For example say you have a sundown audio 1200d which to my knowledge has 5 30 amp fuses thus giving use 150 amps, now does this mean that this amp can draw 150 amps as well and wouldn't that mean to power it correctly you'd at least need power wire that can hold 150 amperage

I was wondering for an amps do you use the total amount of fusing used on the amp to determine what power wire you may need. For example say you have a sundown audio 1200d which to my knowledge has 5 30 amp fuses thus giving use 150 amps, now does this mean that this amp can draw 150 amps as well and wouldn't that mean to power it correctly you'd at least need power wire that can hold 150 amperage

you got it, the bigger wire the better. if the wire is too small then the wire will get hot, and your amp will not run as efficiently.

DAT 4125------>RE XXX comps active

Eclipse cd7000

I serve drunks for a living :D

you got it, the bigger wire the better. if the wire is too small then the wire will get hot, and your amp will not run as efficiently.

Ya I've had experience with the wire getting to hot and pulling to much current and melting the hole fuse block. Saw it happen to my friend twice in 2 different cars. Fixing that problem since i ordered some Knu wire this weekend. Also it might be just me being hard headed but from what i understand out of what has been said is that i was correct about the fuses being in direct correlation with the minimum power wire needed, correct?

Ya I've had experience with the wire getting to hot and pulling to much current and melting the hole fuse block. Saw it happen to my friend twice in 2 different cars. Fixing that problem since i ordered some Knu wire this weekend. Also it might be just me being hard headed but from what i understand out of what has been said is that i was correct about the fuses being in direct correlation with the minimum power wire needed, correct?

That'd be caused from a shitty ground.

2015 Honda Civic LX 4dr | 24k miles

Stock H/U and mids/highs

Power Acoustik GW3-12" D2 Sub

HiFonics BXX1200.1D @ 1ohm

Random 2.5^3' dual ported box

NVX LOC

Stinger wiring throughout 

1977 Chevy SWB

Cammed 350

Dual exhaust

Cheap Wish stereo

That'd be caused from a shitty ground.

I don't see how we tested the ground before we even did anything it flush sanded and held in very nicely, I mean its possible but it would baffle me honestly. Then again the dude has 2 fuses in that main line since he ran out of wire when he was installing and needed something to splice it with. There is one under the hood and another underneath the car below the trunk were enters and for some reason it never melted. Heat was ruled out on the first fuse since we ran the car for awhile and checked the fuse and it wasn't around anything hot.

too small of a power line can cause it to heat, and potentially melt (either the line or the fuse)

i have a dozen melted fuses/holders from customer cars that were badly done, and i've personally had to extinguish a fire in my friends car after he convinced himself that 8g was good for 1500 watts (we now have the burnt section hanging in his room as a reminder that i told him so)

general rule I use is anything over ~100 amps I use 0g, 4g is good for like 125amps@20 feet max or something, but always better to be on the safe side.

cablelength.gif (courtesy of crutchfield, any higher amperage, 0guage, any longer distances (not likely) go bigger)

Build: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/ind...hl=avalon+build

monster/rockford/kicker/stinger cables, pioneer source, jbl highs/amps, kinetik/shuriken batts, iraggi alt, dei security, dc subs(atleast for now)

Team DC

too small of a power line can cause it to heat, and potentially melt (either the line or the fuse)

i have a dozen melted fuses/holders from customer cars that were badly done, and i've personally had to extinguish a fire in my friends car after he convinced himself that 8g was good for 1500 watts (we now have the burnt section hanging in his room as a reminder that i told him so)

general rule I use is anything over ~100 amps I use 0g, 4g is good for like 125amps@20 feet max or something, but always better to be on the safe side.

cablelength.gif (courtesy of crutchfield, any higher amperage, 0guage, any longer distances (not likely) go bigger)

Ya he straight up melted fuse and all but we knew it was happening so we changed it out for just the weekend with a new one until his new wire and fuse holder comes in. Doesn't help that he was using damn scoshe wire the went from 5 to 6 along the line lmao. His amp only draws 100 amps so i guess that tell you even cheap wire isn's good for that. This time I'm getting in there and making sure his stuff is done right

Archived