Sonic Electronix

Didn't say you were flaming, I just would have contacted whoever needed to be contacted first.

It could be that there was something wrong with the amp and it took one of your coils with it.

Or it could be you had a bad coil that fried the amp.

Chris will be able to tell what happened when he looks at it.

How close to the port was the amp?

TeamSundown-3.jpgTeamNemesislogo.jpg

If you build it, db's will come...

NSPL World Record Holder Trunk 0-1800 watts---147.9 with 1722 clamped watts @ 40Hz(9-20-09).

Competition Only Record Holder Trunk 0-500 watts---148.1

2006 Nissan Altima 3.5 SE

Currently Rebuilding....

My 150db Plus Trunk Build

I do box designs.

[benH] 6:24 pm: clipping doesn't really hurt subs

[benH] 6:24 pm: being an idiot is what blows subs

Looking at the pics it's hard to say because it's a refurb.

Chris does very very good work by the way :)

What that LOOKS like is that the power supply section has taken a sh!t bigtime and smoked rather impressively. But I don't know if Chris cleans up the mounting hardware when he does refurbs - that amp has definitely had repairs to that exact area because the gate resistors don't match so it's possible the huge burn marks are from when it blew up last time.

If you take off those 2 clamps with the biggest smoke marks on them we could tell you for sure.

Smoke coming out of your port = smoked coils. So the output section of the amp may have gone bad and put rail voltage through the outputs which could simultaneously blow up the subs and the power supply section. I think this is somewhat likely, the pop you heard was most likely the subs getting shoved to maximum excursion.

I'm sure Chris will sort you out with the amp but if the subs are baked then you're a bit stuck, although I'm sure Rusty will look after you for recones.

EDIT: It would have smelled like that when it arrives because it's probably blown up pretty spectacularly in the past. Getting completely rid of that smell is near impossible, I have an amp here that blew up 3 years ago and the bad parts still stink.

Edited by Boon

goodgrammarbc7.gif

10.x volts fo' life!

I know the amp still powers on, power light comes on and so does the remote knob. The protection light stays off. I hope the amp is ok and maybe just need a recone or two.

I will hook it up this week maybe and "test" the amp with a old speaker or something.

Breaking in a sub is like breaking in your girl before you pound her....

The port was about 25inches from the amp. Why?

Just wondering if the subs suck in the smoke from the amp. Or was the smoke form a sub too...

TeamSundown-3.jpgTeamNemesislogo.jpg

If you build it, db's will come...

NSPL World Record Holder Trunk 0-1800 watts---147.9 with 1722 clamped watts @ 40Hz(9-20-09).

Competition Only Record Holder Trunk 0-500 watts---148.1

2006 Nissan Altima 3.5 SE

Currently Rebuilding....

My 150db Plus Trunk Build

I do box designs.

[benH] 6:24 pm: clipping doesn't really hurt subs

[benH] 6:24 pm: being an idiot is what blows subs

No I mean it was just coming out of the box and I unscrewed the subs and more smoke come out, my truck now has a horrible smell to it.....joy

Anyways I e-mailed Chris with those pics to see if he can see anything wrong or not. I also emailed rusty and probably going to get the subs reconed...

Yes I have a DMM (Fluke 21)

I checked the coils and 3 seem ok but not %100 sure. I know 1 of them is %100 shot because I was getting readings from 50-100 the first time and then all the way up to 300-500ohms the next.