Ok so 2 days ago my 360 started flashing the single red light and gave me the e74 error message. I've had the system for 4+ months now and never had a problem. So I buy one of these "Amazing fix your rrod and other xbox errors and stuff and junk" kits online, specifically the James Dean kit, complete with videos and a .pdf instructions. I follow the instructions step by step and all goes well. I played it last night for 3-4 hours easily no problems at all. This morning I turn it on and throw in the UFC '09 and I'm playing for a solid hour, then the screen goes fuzzy and it's the e74 message again. I'm frustrated beyond belief as i ended up spending $30+ on the tools and $34 for the DIY program to still have no xbox. Does anyone have any hands on experience with this that they can share with me?

Thanks

Andrew

New project in the works ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I spent $2 in parts at lowes to fix mine... damn i'm glad i didn't buy those kits.

Did it have you put screws into the heat sinks?

-Installer for Duke's Car Stereo

2000 Pontiac Grand Prix - Ported Eaton M90 S/C, 3.5" pulley, XS Power Headers, 1.9 Rockers, FWI, Poly Motor Mounts, Custom Tune.

RF T1000-1bdCP and T400-4

Boston Acoustics SPG 555

Kenwood eXcelon 995

RF Punch 6.5" components and MB Quart Premium 6x9"s

Powermaster Alternator, YellowTop D34, Vmax CT1000

• 3 weeks later...

I just got the same error about 7 days ago.. Had the unit for about two years with no issues whats so ever. So i jumped on the internet did some re-searching and saw some crazy ass stuff that fixes the problem.. Wasn't 100% sold on any of them so i gave XBOX a call 1-800-4my-xbox and spoke to them. Well they said with this new error (E74) there is a manufacture extended warranty that covers the repair of it 100% for three years form date of purchase as long as no tampering has been done. Only fall back is it take 2-3 weeks according to them.. You make the call.......

PS... when you call and the IVR gets annoying just say agent three times and you should be transferred to one right away.

Head Unit: Alpine CDA 9887

Sub Amps: 4 RF2500's

Subs: 8 SA-12's Walled

Comp Amp: 1 RF600.2 (for now)

Comps: (4) 6.5 Punch Mid Pros and 2 Punch Pro Tweeters

Batteries: (1) XS D5100 (5) D3100

Power Cables: 2 runs of 2/0 power and ground each front to back(Try-Star)

Alternator: Dual Mechman Rhino 250's

Deadener: Fatmat / Damplifier Pro

Sounds like your gonna need some kind of BGA rework on the xbox 360. There is a guy out in Utah that does BGA rework for all the chips on the board for $50 if he fixes it. Thats your best bet... He uses lead based solder instead of the lead-free stuff that they use. Most of the time the GPU gets hot to the point the solder joints break... in your case its probably that other chip on the board too.

I cant remember off hand the guy's email address, but PM me if you want his email so that bots dont pick up on his address on here. :)

Archived