So recently the Marine Corps has come out with new rules regarding certification in my MOS. I'm a Tactical Data Systems Administrator with all the necessary training on our gear, but now it's not enough...

They've decided that we are required to have these certs by 2009:

A+

Network+

Security+

SharePoint "Developer"

CCNA (with furthur training for CCNP once I'm a Staff NCO)

Various Windows certifications

Various Solaris certs

and taking courses in web and software development, Office products, and programming on our own...

:shok:

So I'm really fuckin excited. They will be sending us from Al Asad to Fallujah for training and cert testing in Iraq and administering classes here in CONUS.

I'm thinking with all of this, I could be makin some serious money once I get back. I've been in the oil business for a while now and I'm looking to get into the IT field. I have a Masters in mathematics as well, but it doesn't seem to help much in this area as far as a job I'd like to do.

Does anybody know what kind of job level these certs would get me?

Need an install? Hit me up.
[email protected]

Got car audio questions? Check here first!
Everything you need to know. =]

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/83029-everything-you-need-to-know/

after spending 8 yrs in the marine corps as a sys admin. there is no fucking way 85 percent of the retards can pass those tests. i have my net + and wokring on my sec plus and there is no way the guys i used to work with could have done them.

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

after spending 8 yrs in the marine corps as a sys admin. there is no fucking way 85 percent of the retards can pass those tests. i have my net + and wokring on my sec plus and there is no way the guys i used to work with could have done them.

I know it. Apparently it's "crucial to pass", but we have some serious dumb shits in our shop. My section head added the various certs and SharePoint for us because our CO decided we should be in charge of more shit when we get out to Iraq.

I wonder if it's grounds for a sep if they fail over and over... that would really clean things up here. Who were you with?

[email protected]

i have all that yuou listed

gl with the job search after i been looking for some time now

Really...that sucks man. All I know is our work on TBMCS lands some serious jobs with Lockheed Martin. One of our guys just got out of the corps and started at 85 a year. He had no deployment experience, no field operation other than training, and no certs. I have two deployments under my belt and awards for writing my own scripts that failed on the system on my first deployment so I'm hoping for the best. :)

Is there really nobody else in the IT field that knows what's out there? Only IT work I've been exposed to is my MOS, and on deployments so I don't know the civilian job potential.

[email protected]

i was a 6694 first with mals-29 in new river then at mals-49 in newburgh. they started the push for the certs at the end of my time and sent me first. figured if i couldnt pass them fuck the rest of the idiots. I got out and work for ibm global delivery services as a contractor. i make about 70k a year but with ot im looking at around 95. for example i was off monday taking off friday and ill finished this week up with around 51 hrs.

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

Yep james, I feel you man. I'm A+/net+ sec/linux mcse/a and MCE can't find one with the money I feel is necessary. It blows

1993 Chevrolet SWB Pickup

Viper 791XV

Primer Stage

5/8 Static Drop

Kinetik HC1800

Big 3 Knu Flex 0

Team Tex Flex

I lucked out on mine to be honest. We get fucked wtih as contractors but as long as they keep paying my bills i dont really care.

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

• 1 month later...

Well just for an update on this, they decided to do Security+ in a four day course, then test Friday. They didn't get our books in until Wednesday and nobody had shit to study. There were only three passes out of 18 and I was one of them. Me my MSgt, and a GySgt from another section just barely passed. I got an 816 or something and everybody else was <700. Most of them completely bombed the test with <450.

Considering I have little to no Security experience other than data links with our gear, this was the hardest fucking test I've ever taken. I seriously memorized over 1000 practice questions from CompTIA directly and there were seriously only ten of them on the actual test. After marking the first ten for review I knew I was done, but somehow made it. Some of the questions on there were completely crazy. I had no idea what some of the shit was... ugh. Stressful week.

We start A+ and Net+ once we go OCONUS next week.

[email protected]