Wiring In Spare Battery

k im wanting to hook up another battery i have laying around to my amp i have a ma audio HK4000D and when i turn it up too loud it shuts off until i turn the volume back down cause it draws too much power...so i was wondering if this is how i would wire 2 batteries...the main battery would b the one under the hood....

wiring2batteries.jpg

~REFS~

-CA.com-Gianotti(2 18" FI BTL D1) Slowd N Throwd(Wiring),Ebrunn(PC monitor),Rab(HK4000D)

-SMD.com-Nismofreak(Radar),BigP(Phone Headset),anonymous(Xbox360 Headset)

you might consider running the ground from the second battery to the ground on the first battery, but it could work that way

SMDMafia-amazinblazin.jpg

1997 Dodge Ram Van 2500

Big III addition with 1/0 awg wiring all throughout

Lightning Audio Strike S4.1000.1D

Jenson XA2250

2 - 12" Mtx Jackhammers JH55

3ft cubed box sealed under the rear bench seat

Pioneer DEH-P6000UB head unit

MB Quart FWA 160 components up front

Wire a positive from front to rear battery, and wire a negative from front to rear batteries. Wang and enjoy.

2 - Audiopipe AP30001Ds

1 - Lanzar Opti Scion 600.4

4 - Lanzar Optidrive 1232D's

1 - Lanzar Opti 5.1

1 - Lanzar Opti 6.1

1 - Lanzar Opti 6C midbass

1 - Alphasonic PCT6551

1 - Lanzar VX830

1 - JBL 22 band EQ

1 - Lanzar SDBT75NU

1 - AudioControl Epic160

1st - what kind of battery are you planning to add in the back

2nd - your amp shuts off because your charging system isnt sufficient, so adding a battery might help a little, but at full tilt you need to power the amp and charge two batteries now... so id hope you've upgraded ur alternator... along with doing the big III so u can stablize ur fluctuating voltage

3rd - get a dmm and test your ac voltage drop... try to play the system as loud as you can without the amp shutting offf and measure the voltage drop on the amps power terminals

4th - charge both batteries before installing both so you can really see the difference it makes and so ur amp has more juice in reserve to suck from :)

so now to properly hooking it up... ur right... just connect positives to positives and negatives to negatives

ur drawing didnt include it but connect ur amp ground to battery ground... then battery to chassis

you might even benefit from connecting both battery negatives together... the idea is to create the shortest path from amp/battery ground to alt ground/front bat ground.. food for thought

edit* LOL, im slow, 3 posts before me while i was typing

Edited by decafcappucino

TeamSundown-sig.jpg

your drawing is correct ,but i would add a ground from the front to the back battery and i would ground from the battery to the amp

so why does it always say to make sure that the ground is no longer than 3 ft. if you are connecting the front ground to the back, thats like ~16 ft. would that not apply here?

Team Bass-Hz

so why does it always say to make sure that the ground is no longer than 3 ft. if you are connecting the front ground to the back, thats like ~16 ft. would that not apply here?

X2 I always wondered that but never asked.

2 Infinity Reference 1252w 12s

4.2 cubic foot box tuned to 28hz

Sub amp: 1 Profile AP1200

Speaker amp: 1 Sony Xplod XM-504z

Kenwood eXcelon KDC-X492

4 and 8 Gauge Knu

Big III In 1/0

All in my 90 Accord

f05112e8-c6ca-4f78-9a8d-47be99303c8b_zps

Diamonds are forever, but 9's end that shit fast....

Easy ...your best grounding point is the engine/frame ,most cars now a days are unibody<not a solid frame rail > thats why i dont ground amps in the back anymore

Easy ...your best grounding point is the engine/frame ,most cars now a days are unibody<not a solid frame rail > thats why i dont ground amps in the back anymore

Ok so what your saying is you run a ground from the negative up front to the back, to your other batts and it's a better ground even though its like 5 times longer?

Edit: J/W not trying to sound like an ass im just curious.

Edited by brsteinbach

2 Infinity Reference 1252w 12s

4.2 cubic foot box tuned to 28hz

Sub amp: 1 Profile AP1200

Speaker amp: 1 Sony Xplod XM-504z

Kenwood eXcelon KDC-X492

4 and 8 Gauge Knu

Big III In 1/0

All in my 90 Accord

f05112e8-c6ca-4f78-9a8d-47be99303c8b_zps

Diamonds are forever, but 9's end that shit fast....