Well, I seen it in another thread, and it got my gears turning. I didn't like the idea of purchasing a smaller #37 replacement LED and just dropping it in the slot.... simply was NOT bright enough for my tastes.

So I decided to take a bit of a different route.

I took the entire unit apart, and using a dremel I carved holes into the clear plastic light guide, and inserted LEDs into various spots that would shine the LEDs light right down the guide, and at the spots that catch the light.

a few well placed LEDs light up the entire panel beautifually, however, don't be fooled, this was really really hard. It took me 5 whole hours to do all of the soldering, wiring, testing, and fitment, which required modification of the housing in a few spots because each of my LEDs has it's own resistor. I wasn't going to waste resistors that came with the LED's and the electronic stores weren't open at that hour. I also had one of the black wires break after I got it to fit finally..... and had to take it apart to resolder it. I used a lot of superglue to hold the bulbs in, as well as reinforce some of the spots with the wires shoved into the holes so they wouldn't move.... basically I encased the wire bunches in glue so they would never move.

I soldered the final connections directly onto the circuit board in place of the bulb sockets. the socket contacts ont he board were easily solderable.

5 LEDs installed, and superglued into place. Wiring was a PAIN, and in one spot I had to run the leads up, around, and under the guide just to get the wires on the right side of the housing and still have stuff fit.

Light%20Guide%20Bulb%20Test%201.jpg

Light%20Guide%20Bulb%20Test%202.jpg

Light%20Guide%20Installed.jpg

Modified%20SATC%20Housing.jpg

SATC%20Test%20Light.jpg

Sorry for quality, night pictures are hard without a tripod. It looks like the right side of the right dial is brighter, but it isn't. the ONLY trash thats SLIGHTLY dimmer than the rest is the Max A/C trash.... but it's still plenty bright.

Blue%20SATC%20Finished.jpg

I opted not to light the buttons as there didn't seem to be a point, and it would have been near impossible. that piece is important for holding the switches and I didn't want to risk it breaking.... there's only 3 for god sake, I think I can figure out where they are.

I also haven't replaced the green lens over the display yet. I haven't found a piece I like yet. :)

whenever i get my new truck/car/whatever the hell im getting im gonna do the same thing with the a/c controls, headlight controls, window switches, and gauges.

edit: looks sick btw

Edited by qu1cks1lver56

First Gen Xterra: Always changing

DNX 690HD

RF 360.3
RF T3002
RF T4004
RF T10001bd
Silver Flute 6.5"s
Tang Band 1" Tweeters
Sundown X18 in 7cubes net tuned to 32hz

Trust me .25 Blows your Load.

very sick! i wanna know more so when i do mine i wont screw it up

REFF'S
My link
EBAY
http://feedback.ebay...ck&myworld=true
I love car audio so much because I will never be done. I can never win, and I will never get it finished or perfect. It always has me coming back for more, I can never get my fill of it, but I get what I need.