Second Skin Audio

Lvl4 Xl 15

Ok, so im lookin at a new setup, and the newest contender is DC Sound Labs. Im lookin to start off with 2 15s and as i save up more money, go to 4 15s(may have to sacrifice one of my rear seats for batteries and amps). I have been wondering about the differences between the LVL4s and LVL4 XLs. How much power will these things really take? Im looking to either put them on an AQ3500D giving them around 1750 each (or something of that nature, cant beat AQ's prices and ive talked to people who love them and say they are very reliable), or an AQ2200D each. I couldnt find the full set of T/S parameters for the xls, so i took the ones from the lvl4 and replaced the ones that were given for the xl. Im trying to design an enclosure, i do that quite a bit cuz i get bored and sketchup is fun to play with, but i cant figure out where to tune it since WinISD (i know its not the greatest but hey, it was free and its quick and easy) doesnt seem to like this woofer much. It doesnt plot for shit. I cant figure out how much airspace to give it or where to tune it. I was thinkin 6-7cubes at 30 Hz or so

woman..cant live with em...cant shoot em...guess were all fucked

You might be a Redneck if you use your leftover gutters for a speaker box port...

YOU JUST LOST THE GAMER.I.P. Blazer=========================Last setup was in the 141s on music (37hz) with 2 12s and 1kw in a 4dr blazer.2010 Mitsubishi Lancer DE2 12in Clarions (kept from blazer)HiFonics BRZ1700.1d (at 2 ohms BLOWN) [JBL GTS180X for subs currently 60wRMS x2ch!!!!!! This works for till i get the blown amp fixed] Alpine 4ch salvaged from blazer (currently near death)9887 peerless 7s in the doors and CDT tweeters ran active no speakers in the rearKintik HC1400 under the hood.metered once a while ago, dont remember it...was piss poor compared to the blazer, mid 130s i think....looking to replace subs and amp when i have money.

Heres some things i made in sketchUp for the DCs

For 4 15s (think its around 12 cubes net tuned to 30 Hz

415ssubsandportup12cubesat30hz.jpg

Now for 2 15s (lvl4 or lvl4 xl) 6 cubes net after sub and port and bracing, tuned to 30 Hz

thinkin subs and port back

2dc15ssubsandportback6cubesat30Hz.jpg

Without the top, so you can see all the bracing (better safe than sorry right? (bracing will be 1" diameter dowel rod

2dc15snotop.jpg

You might be a Redneck if you use your leftover gutters for a speaker box port...

YOU JUST LOST THE GAMER.I.P. Blazer=========================Last setup was in the 141s on music (37hz) with 2 12s and 1kw in a 4dr blazer.2010 Mitsubishi Lancer DE2 12in Clarions (kept from blazer)HiFonics BRZ1700.1d (at 2 ohms BLOWN) [JBL GTS180X for subs currently 60wRMS x2ch!!!!!! This works for till i get the blown amp fixed] Alpine 4ch salvaged from blazer (currently near death)9887 peerless 7s in the doors and CDT tweeters ran active no speakers in the rearKintik HC1400 under the hood.metered once a while ago, dont remember it...was piss poor compared to the blazer, mid 130s i think....looking to replace subs and amp when i have money.

winisd is teh gey.. lol

rusty said an aq2200d on a lvl4xl would be fine in 4cuft@30hz with ~15-16sqin/cuft

so 1750 should be easy... bigger volume to catch a bit more lows...

and on the last design, might as well run a dowel from inner port wall to side of enclosure on right since that right panel has no bracing at all vs all other panels

for the 4 15s shoot for 14cuft... should be a bit less peaky and more musical not being in the smallest box

TeamSundown-sig.jpg

ya, i thought about that bracing thing too. As for the 4 15s, idk how easily ill be able to manage 14 cubes after port and bracing and all. Where in Northern IL are ya? Im in the NW burbs. But anyway. The box for 2 of them is around 6 cubes after bracing and port and subs tuned to like 30 Hz. I figure i may have gone a tad overkill on the bracing but why not? Id rather have no worries than have the box flexin all over the place. The car these boxes are for is a 2000 blazer, 4dr. Im not willing to lose my rear seats yet. I have thought of (since its a split bench) losing one of the seats and keeping the other 2, or getting buckets, buildin a center console to hide the batteries in...idk though. To start its going to be 2 15s i think.

Added that bracing. Figure if i build this outta 3/4" birch it should be good.

215saddedbracing.jpg

Archived