I've been having problems with my dell laptop screen, the left side is really dark and the right side is bright(the way it should be). Now it got worse and after i turn on the laptop, right after the dell screen comes up it goes completely black, and the laptop itself is still running. Once in a while i can get the screen back up after pressing all different buttons but then after about 5minutes it goes completely black again. Do i just need a new screen or could it be another problem besides that? Any help/opinions would be great. Thanks

a VERY dark side, and a very bright side, is NOT indicative of a driver issue. This is @ a hardware level more then likely. A driver CAN NOT configure depth in color that way. IT is either all dim, or all bright, not 1/2 & 1/2 per side. Notebooks are tough to trouble shoot due to their complexity. To the OP, if you look at your notebook, look up at the corners around the keyboard area and see if you have a little "dimple" that sticks up (This is the sensor that shuts off the screen when the lid is closed) see if the little switch moves freely, or "clicks". I've had MANY MANY HP notebooks have this fail, and have similar issues as you. The fix for it, doesn't make sense as HP charges nearly ~240 for that switch, which even after you get it, the whole damn notebook needs to be torn open, as that switch directly plugs into the opposing side of the motherboard (under-neith the CPU side) so access to it can be hairy. So all in all, IF that is the issue, you might want to look into a new notebook.

DO THIS::::: Plug in a external monitor using the output either it be a DVI connection or a VGA connection (not sure which your notebook has) and see if the external screen is having the same color issues. IF so, the video card is the culprit. Just to confirm, you said this happens even during a fresh bootup correct? So in other words your still in the "POST" process of booting. Knowing that info will be helpful, just to eliminate a software issue.

Also, if your a little computer savey, take the paneling off around the monitor, and the 2-4 screws that hold it on, and make sure the "ribbon" cable or in other words the "signal cable" is secure, and making excellent contact.

Edited by newls1

I love my staffie :good:

So anti FACEBOOK it isn't even funny

newls1, i appreciate your informative reply

i just hooked up my desktop monitor to my laptop like you said and it does work(im typing on it right now). does that mean i just need a new screen on the laptop? i appreciate your help. thanks again

mike

First make sure the ribbon cable that feed the LCD is secure. If it is, then YES, more then likely sounds like a bad display.

strange thing, i just wiped the laptop screen off and i can VERY dimly see the screen that im typing in(besides the desktop monitor)

I'm more and more leaning toward a bad LCD (which is rare) I really need you to make sure the ribbon cable has a secure connection on each side of the cable. You may have to dig a "LITTLE" deep.

i removed the front panel and the ribbon looks like its connected correctly...

well, from the outside looking in, looks like a bunked LCD panel. I mean, there is a slight chance that the built in GPU output failed, however the GPU external output (the connection that your desktop monitor is plugged into) is still fine. Personally with the prices of notebooks now, it might be worth your while to replace it, or just deal with using an external means of display. I dont know what the specs are of that notebook, but always keep this in mind: A Notebook is only disigned to have a 2 year life cycle and or 7,392 hours of life. The return on investment on a notebook is HORRIBLE! If you get a longer life on a notebook, consider it a gift, and that is mainly cause the end user took care of it well. G/L and if you would like a few recommendation on a replacement notebook, let me know. There are FREAKING AWESOME notebooks for sub ~$550......