Project "SQL Monte Carlo v4" *Updated 1.26.12*

Today I got a bit more done, not as much as I wanted though, but more on that later.

Door panel w/Rainbow tweeter installed (not going to be powered just yet, but will be soon. Just plugging the hole in the panel for the time being)

Posted Image

First thing on my list was running speaker wire for my fronts. I used KnuKonceptz Karma Kable 16ga, and damn that stuff is pretty thick! I thought I was going to have a hell of a time getting it through the factory rubber loom in the door jambs but it was relatively easy. On the passenger side, the hardest part was getting my ham-hock of a hand in there far enough to feed the wire into the loom, and since the loom is rubber and similar to an accordian I had to keep feeding the wire while rotating it in order to get it all the way through. But once I got it through it was a piece of cake.

16ga. twisted pair fed through the door and factory loom into the cabin

Posted Image

No cheating here, wire is inside the loom

Posted Image

2 25ft runs of speaker wire, CDT components installed in factory speaker pod in background

Posted Image

Speaker wire zip tied and laid out where it's gonna go

Posted Image

Like magic, speaker wire disappeared

Posted Image

The drivers side was more challenging because again, my ham-hock of a hand proved to be an issue with the lack of space in the lower dash for me to reach up to where the loom enters the cabin so I could pull the wire through. I forced my hand in there and got it done but i've got small cuts all over, showering should be lovely. But again, once I got it through it was all good.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Alpine CDA-117...Memphis 16-X03

CDT Audio SQA-4100...SEAS Prestige H1396...Crescendo MP-6

Soundstream Rubicon 1.2500d...Digital Designs 3512f

After getting all the wire ran through the factory loom I zip tied it to keep it as neat as possible under the carpet. I pulled up the trim pieces on each side, unclipped the carpet and tucked the wire under it all the way to the trunk. After running the wire I decided to label one wire on each side so I'd know which speaker it was for since the mids and tweets will all be on separate channels, this is only an issue because i'm running 3 way active so I need to know which speakers is what which channel so I get them hooked up right for xover purposes.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

After doing that I installed the driver side components into the factory speaker pod. I had to modify the door panel a bit on the backside, just had to open up the tweeter opening a big more so my tweets would fit. Nothing the Fury folding blade couldn't handle! After mounting the components in the pod I went out and installed the pod into the door and then test fit the door panel. It's all good! The only reason I didn't wire up the components and reinstall the door panels is because I forgot to get some silicone for the backside of the speaker pods. The factory stuff got all stretched out when I removed the pods so I was just gonna lay a fresh bead. Once I get the silicone I can wire it up and put the door panels back on and that'll be done!

Posted Image

Next I decided to check out the engine bay to see how/where I'd run the power lead. I settled on a location for the fuse but wasn't able to find a spot to get the lead into the cabin. I even removed my coolant tank to get a better view and more room to access the firewall but even still, no luck. I'm gonna check out the Monte Carlo boards to see if I can find out where the best place is to run it so I can get this done and over with. Once all the wiring is done it's just a matter of assembling the amp rack, fiberglassing it, painting it, mounting the amps and hooking them up, installing the deck and i'm good to go.

Since I wasn't able to run the power lead just yet I decided to finish off the partial sheet of SSDP I had leftover from the install yesterday (still have a full sheet left too) so I decided to deaden my license plate and frame. Pretty straight forward. If anything rattles now, it won't be the license plate.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I'm starting to see the light and the end of the tunnel!

Lookin good keep it up :D.

SUCCESS is a decision, NOT a dream. You have to name the price you are willing to pay to get it.

"You didn't have an ice pick on you? Amateur. " -- Wax from Fchat.

Lookin good keep it up :D.

I'm getting there. The next big part of this project will be running the power lead, remote lead, RCA's and mounting the bass knob. For this I'll have to remove the center console and back seat and considering I've never removed either in this car, should be nothing but pure fun. I wanted to use my cig lighter as the knob for the bass knob but ran into a slight problem, I have no cig lighter. So I just have to find a spot that suits me, is as hidden as possible yet easy for me to reach. As far as the signal and power leads, power/remote will run down one side of the center "hump" and the RCA's will get the other side. I'm just going to run them straight back under the seat, no sense in making longer runs than needed.

I'm hoping to get everything done by next weekend, my family is going out of town for the weekend so I'll have nothing but time. Only thing that won't get done yet is the deck, still don't have the right harness. I'm holding out trying to find one locally for a decent price, so far no luck, they all want to sell me one for $120 or better. Worst case scenario, I'll just order one online for $60 if I can't find one by next weekend.

Posted Image

Fuckin sick toaster oven!

amps pretty cool too

LOL. Yeah, I like the oven too. Comes in handy on these hot Sacramento days cause I have a gas oven and it gets the whole house hot when we use it. So when it's hot, we just use the toaster over if we want something baked and the house stays cool.

Unable to find the damn harness locally so I had to order one online, SonicElectronix had what i needed, the Scosche GM09SR for $55. Got it ordered tonight.

Also needed a fuse holder (for my alternator power lead) and some battery terminals so I ordered them from Darvex, as well as a couple 200a fuses and a Stinger Digital Voltage guage (blue LED to match my deck install kit).

Tomorrow i'm going to get up early and run my power lead, rca's, and remote lead and then head over to Home Depot to pick up some fiberglass mat and resin and some small screws so I can finish up my amp rack. Hopefully I can get all this accomplished before the heat rolls in cause when it gets hot I lose motivation real quick.

What I ordered tonight:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Went out and got some supplies this afternoon. Didn't get anything done in the car this morning cause I ended up waking up later than expected and since my garage isn't big enough for me to pull my car in and open both doors, i'm stuck working in my driveway under the blistering sun. Not good considering we hit 105 today, I can't roll down my windows since my door panels are still off cause I just got the RTV sealant today in order to seal up my speaker pods and reinstall them, and I have absolutely no shade until late evening.

So when I woke up, I decided to take care of my lawn cause it was much needed and if I waited any longer it wasn't going to get done either. After taking care of that I was dripping with sweat so I came inside, took a shower and chilled out in the a/c. Pretty much took care of doing anything in the car, but now that I have everything (except for the factory harness) that I need to move on with the build, i'm gonna be working on it evenings this week since we should be cooling down a bit.

So here's what I got:

Posted Image

Didn't expect to see this at Harbor Freight! $5 and some change

Posted Image

I know it's not anyone's favorite resin, but I hope it gets the job done for me.

Posted Image

Non-hardening modeling clay and a spring loaded center punch. Gonna use the clay to ensure my fronts are sealed in all the way around in the pods and will seal around the pod once it's back in the door. Center punch is for work, but i'm gonna use it to mark where i'm gonna pre-drill holes in the amp rack so I can put in some screws to help secure it.

Posted Image

The heaviest fiberglass mat I could find at Home Depot

Posted Image

RTV Sealant for running a nice heavy bead on the backside of the speaker pods to help seal them to the door panel.

Posted Image

Some Harbor Freight 69 cent specials for use with the fiberglass

Posted Image

And some mitre corner clamps to hold the pieces of my amp rack in place while the glue dries.

Posted Image

Alright, getting some work done today son!

Getting the amp rack assembled.

I put the wood in, clamped it up and aligned it and then raised up the side piece so I could lay a bead of Titebond and then put it in place and clamped it down

Posted Image

Forgot to put something down to catch the drips, whoops.

Posted Image

Cleaned up the drips on the stand and the amp rack

Posted Image

Posted Image

As you can see, I wised up on the other side

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I then ran a bead of Titebond on the inside of each joint and smoothed it out with my finger. Looking good so far!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

This is for the AudioQ amp, I have to do the one for the HiFonics amp once this one dries and I get the nails in. I decided to use nails instead of screws because of the material type and size. I didn't want to have it splinter on me, and since im gonna fiberglass it once this part is done I figured nails would be good enough. They are Grip-Rite 1" panelboard nails.

Posted Image

Just like these above but the ribbing goes all the way up to the head of the nail.

:clapping: looking good, but why waste resin on the amp rack?

REST IN PARADISE BIG RICH (Sqmonte) never forgotten

Why do you guys ALWAYS dispute on NUMBERS?????

It's such a played out argument, so fucking annoying....

It's 12 fuckin 15's.... It's louder than you... Shut the fuck up...

/Rant

:)

I'm so jealous, it makes me want to club baby seals. That shit gets down HARD!

dont buy from knowledge he will scam you.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/30995-official-knowledge-feedback/

Archived