Sonic Electronix

So what you are saying that if I continue to bank some zz top - my heads in Mississippi which parts of the song are tuned at 33hz but my box is tuned to lets say 50hz then I could damage my sub

playing music thats under the tuning of the box wont hurt the sub if you have a sub sonic filter set correctly

so could I tune the box to 28hz and be safe?

you can tune it to 28hz, but you wont have a real good top end, like 50, 60+hz. but the lows will murder.

sub sonic filter - Are you talking about the Cross over or is something else I have to buy?

sub sonic filter - Are you talking about the Cross over or is something else I have to buy?

its a filter on the amp, its to cut off the frequencies lower than what you set it at, as to not damage the subwoofer. sometimes its a switch and sometimes its a switch with a knob to set it at.

Don't have either one of thoes on my amp.. Just a hp/ap/lp switch and a crossover knob.

So I guess I would want to tune the box at 30hz that is a nice mid point between 33 and 28. I like the low deep bass..

with a 30hz tune it should be good up through 60-70hz right

I cant read anywhere on my manual with my Fosgate box where it is tuned at.. but it hits really hard on this song here..

JJ Fad - SuperSonic at 28 seconds into the track

Ok I measured the available space I have for a box.. should be plenty of room for 2 12" Rockford Fosgate P2 series subs.

45 1/2" Wide x 27" Deep x 17" High

Just a hair over 12 cubic feet

i would go with 35x20x17 that should be around the right volume

Don't have either one of thoes on my amp.. Just a hp/ap/lp switch and a crossover knob.

So I guess I would want to tune the box at 30hz that is a nice mid point between 33 and 28. I like the low deep bass..

with a 30hz tune it should be good up through 60-70hz right

I cant read anywhere on my manual with my Fosgate box where it is tuned at.. but it hits really hard on this song here..

JJ Fad - SuperSonic at 28 seconds into the track

tuning a box to 30hz will severely lack in upper bass, 60-70hz. 35hz is a good point for all around sub frequencies.

for the 2nd port in the re box calculator i linked to, put the Square Port Length 2 to 0 an it should bring you to about 35hz...using all the other numbers i gave you that is.

28 seconds into that track is 53hz.

Edited by Krannyman92

So would it be safe to say that the current box I have is tuned to probably 50hz since it seems to hit hardest at 53hz?

So if the box is tuned to 35hz it will still be able to play the lower notes also.. like 30-35hz just not as loud?

So would it be safe to say that the current box I have is tuned to probably 50hz since it seems to hit hardest at 53hz?

i wouldnt say that. the best way to determine what the box tuning is at is to find a sine sweep.

http://realmofexcursion.com/audio/testtones/35Hz_to_50Hz.mp3 this one is 35hz to 50hz

remember to keep the vol the same and to include what time in the song the subs moved the least

So if the box is tuned to 35hz it will still be able to play the lower notes also.. like 30-35hz just not as loud?

a 35hz tuned box should be able to reach down to 32hz or so fairly easily. the loudest freq will be about 10-15hz above tuning freq (very dependent on the car's acoustic characteristics)