Building Your Own Passive Crossovers

Howdy all, I have been contemplating for some time now on building my own passive crossovers for my front staging. Before I do, I would like to see what some of you have done. If you have built your own please chime in, post pics, let me know how they sound, where you got the components for the build! I have several sources and I'm ready to buy the stuff I just wanted to see what others have done if any.

If you haven't please don't chime in to tell me that's its stupid or a waste. Im not really looking for opinion's just actuall builds. Thanks

I don't have any pics, and not taking speakers out of cabs to do it lol :P

But yes I have built my own, I got all the parts from parts express and loved it. Designing your own helps a lot when it comes to freq response and how you want things to sound like. I haven't really used them in a car tho only home for mine.

If you need help on values there is a calculator on the12volt.com to help out.

Head Unit: Pioneer DEH-P6000UB

Sub Amp:American Bass VFL 500.1

Subs: 4 Fi BL 18's

Enclosure:21.5 Cubic foot flat wall tuned to 40 hz

Batteries: 3 Kinetik 2400's in the back, Kinetik 1200 under hood.

Mids & Highs: 4 Kicker DS 6.5 coax in doors, 2 Kicker DS coax in pillars

Highs Amp: Kicker kx250.2, kx100.2

Wire: 4 Runs 1/0 gauge Knukonceptz

I prefer to build my own crossovers over buying them

But They always end up so large! But thats what happens when you try and use POLY caps for everything, and caps over 250v

So, recommendations:

Poly caps between 250-600v

Iron core inductors will be smaller than air core, but about twice to 3 times the price- but worth it

good solder gun, try using silver solder for everything

And something I try to do is in line power disapaitors- basically cylindrical light bulbs between 12w - 24w- Dome light style

What those lights do is light up when your clipping, or cranking your volume up to loud

I dont really have any pics, but if you have a budget, I may be able to point you in the right direction

But I bet you will be looking at $60min for a 12db network, and up to $100 for a 24db oct

sundown.jpg
I have a ritual called "terminator". I crouch in the shower in the "naked terminator" pose. With eyes closed I crouch for a minute and visualize either Arnie or the guy from the 2nd movie. I then start to hum the T2 theme. Slowly I rise to a standing position and open my eyes. It helps me get through my day. The only problem is if the shower curtain sticks to my terminator leg. It sorta ruins the fantasy.

Cool, I have Purchased two different spools of Magnet wire to make my own coils. So I think I am going to buy the rest of the parts I need from partsexpress and www.goldmine-elec.com both have good stuff. Money isn't really an issue, I just like the experience of building such things and see them work but also I want to be able to put whatever components I go with in the best possible range for my ears. Thanks again for your responses!

I did a 12db crossover for my morel tweeters with an L-pad included and my house speakers are still running flawlesy after 4 years and I abuse everything I own.

Parts express FTW

Isobaric - Refers to the practice of coupling two drivers together to make them act as one.

"Giving up doesn't always mean you are weak; sometimes it means that you are strong enough to let go."

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

The Destruction of a person builds character.

Terryswork001.png

• 3 weeks later...

When you do it you should post up some pics of your crossover build. Ive been wanting to do it and when i upgrade, its my plan. Would be nice to see the process you go through when you do it.

woman..cant live with em...cant shoot em...guess were all fucked

You might be a Redneck if you use your leftover gutters for a speaker box port...

YOU JUST LOST THE GAMER.I.P. Blazer=========================Last setup was in the 141s on music (37hz) with 2 12s and 1kw in a 4dr blazer.2010 Mitsubishi Lancer DE2 12in Clarions (kept from blazer)HiFonics BRZ1700.1d (at 2 ohms BLOWN) [JBL GTS180X for subs currently 60wRMS x2ch!!!!!! This works for till i get the blown amp fixed] Alpine 4ch salvaged from blazer (currently near death)9887 peerless 7s in the doors and CDT tweeters ran active no speakers in the rearKintik HC1400 under the hood.metered once a while ago, dont remember it...was piss poor compared to the blazer, mid 130s i think....looking to replace subs and amp when i have money.

Archived