need help fixin my laptop

I have an acer laptop and the hardrive is bad but im not convinced thats the only problem

when i power it up it says operating system not found, but if theres no operating system i cant be sure theres no other problems is there anything i can do to test for other problems

put in a windows cd and see if you can reinstall the operating system. listen for any noises from the harddrive that you wouldnt normally hear. go into the BIOS and see if the hard drive is being detected by the computer

the OS is stored on the HDD, if the HDD goes bad your computer wont be able to find an OS .... plain and simple. Replace the drive and reinstall the OS. Then go from there...

Too Much Stuff to list .

i already know the hardrive is completely bad it makes loud noises so i took off the cover because my warrenty was over and the arm that reads the disks in the hardrive was completely screwed up dont ask me how but it was so i know thats one problem but i tried to run it off of an opperating system on my bros portable hard drive and i t still didnt work it said something about media not being found then the screen went black

Edited by BIGD502

Lets see if I can help ya here. When you used your friends "External HDD" as a means of installing an os (Would have to have been Vista/Win7 as XP wont use USB at the install process unless a hardware layer as added to its boot rom) Did you go into the BIOS and tell the machine to boot from USB/or from some set of external means other then the primary HDD? If you left the boot properties all the same in the bios, this is more then likely your issue. If your going to be getting a HDD for it (Sounds like it really needs one) think about getting an SSD type drive. More expensive then the conventional type, but SSD's are instantly fast, no moving parts, and nearly a 2million MTBF rate.

I love my staffie :good:

So anti FACEBOOK it isn't even funny

When you hooked up your friends external drive, did you change the boot priority in the BIOS?

Does the BIOS support booting from USB media?

Details man, details...

2015 Honda Civic LX 4dr | 24k miles

Stock H/U and mids/highs

Power Acoustik GW3-12" D2 Sub

HiFonics BXX1200.1D @ 1ohm

Random 2.5^3' dual ported box

NVX LOC

Stinger wiring throughout 

1977 Chevy SWB

Cammed 350

Dual exhaust

Cheap Wish stereo