does the head unit matter?

I had an Alpine and I could not figure out how to set treble, bass, mids, etc. Got tired of using "user 2". I now have a Pioneer and it has many many more options in customizing the sound imaging. I'm much happier with the Pioneer so I can say it DOES matter.

I had an Alpine and I could not figure out how to set treble, bass, mids, etc. Got tired of using "user 2". I now have a Pioneer and it has many many more options in customizing the sound imaging. I'm much happier with the Pioneer so I can say it DOES matter.

cool...pioneer sounds like it may b good...thanks

Edited by 8000watts

DOES THE TYPE OF HEAD UNIT MATTER?? LIKE FOR INSTANCE..IF U HAD A JVC AND THEN WENT TO AN ALPINE HU, WOULD U B ABLE TO TELL THE DIFFERENCE (SAME AMPS N SPEAKERS)??

IMO yes, I have always been a pioneer fan and probably always will be.

Head Unit: Pioneer DEH-P6000UB

Sub Amp:American Bass VFL 500.1

Subs: 4 Fi BL 18's

Enclosure:21.5 Cubic foot flat wall tuned to 40 hz

Batteries: 3 Kinetik 2400's in the back, Kinetik 1200 under hood.

Mids & Highs: 4 Kicker DS 6.5 coax in doors, 2 Kicker DS coax in pillars

Highs Amp: Kicker kx250.2, kx100.2

Wire: 4 Runs 1/0 gauge Knukonceptz

lol i would go read the manual. I have an alpine headunit and absolutely love it

currently

2 12" jbl power series

JBL 1400.1

head unit is very important . there is a reason people spend lots of money on getting good ones. In the SPL world , its more important to find one that does not skip and has features that are easy to use in the lanes.

Edit - Yes it will sound better , a 1000$ deck and a 100$ deck will sound very different as long as you have a setup that allows for those differences to be heard .

Edited by Neel

Too Much Stuff to list .

DOES THE TYPE OF HEAD UNIT MATTER?? LIKE FOR INSTANCE..IF U HAD A JVC AND THEN WENT TO AN ALPINE HU, WOULD U B ABLE TO TELL THE DIFFERENCE (SAME AMPS N SPEAKERS)??

Yes a huge differnce. Some hus have better adjustments like time correction, eq, hpf, lpf, etc. Some have stronger preouts for a stronger signal like 2v,4v,5, my pioneer even had 6.5v. Also the higher end brands dont lie so much. For instance my friend had a 4v Kenwood? i dont remember it was something shitty and when i put a 2.2v pioneer in there the preouts where clearly stronger. As for pioneer being better than Alpine i disagree. I love both and i would gladly take a newer pioneer over a newer alpine but my oldschool alpine kicks the shit out of any pioneer i tried even the new prs.

2m26gzm.png

1996 Camaro RS

Rockford Fosgate BD1000.1

Rockford Fosgate 400a4 Old Skool

2x 12" TSW3001-D4 Pioneer Subs

Pioneer deh-p980bt

Yellow Top Primary Battery

1.5 Diesel Audio Cap<Its just there to impress the females with shiny things ;)

Kinetik HC800

my eclipse cd8445 has 8v preout puts and i wouldn't trade it for anything. The headunit is hard to use at first but thats what the manual is for.

* Eclipse CD3200 with PAC SWI-CAN2 and SW-ECL2 Steering Wheel Controls Interface
* Pioneer D-Series Mids and Highs ( Fronts: TS-D1702C; Rears; TS-D1702R and Dash; TS-D1002R )
* Rockford Fosgate PBR300X4 ( Mids and Highs Amp )
* DC 3.5k with Dual Inputs; Custom Plexiglass Backing ( Sub Amp )
* Rockford Fosgate Balanced Line Driver

* One FULLY LOADED ~ 10" DC m2 XL
* Custom Built Carpeted Ported Box Tuned to 32hz. Single Chamber With Volume of 1.44618³ ft ; 1.13216³ ft After Displacement
* Custom Built Carpeted Trunk Wall with Added Fans for Amplifier Cooling
* MechMan 240a High Output Alternator

* KnuKonceptz Krystal Kable RCA Cables
* Upgraded Electrical With 1/0 KnuKonceptz Kolossus Fleks Kable and 1/0 Sky High Car Audio Cable
* Five Exide Orbital ORB34M Marine 12 Volt Batteries
* PowerMaster XS D3100 12 Volt Battery

My 2008 Chrysler 300 Limited - SuperCharged 3.5L V6 - UBL

My Old 2005 Ford Taurus - CarDomain - Vehicle Was Sold

The difference in high-end headunit's is the DAC's or (Digital to Analog Converter) especially if there Burr-Brown. I bought a Clarion pro series years ago that has dual DAC's that are 24bit which is great for cd play. The newer radios that can play directly from a usb thumb drive may not make a difference, other then that I would say get a headunit that high pre volt out put like others have stated. The more voltage that is pushing the signal paths the less gain your amp or amps need!

my eclipse cd8445 has 8v preout puts and i wouldn't trade it for anything. The headunit is hard to use at first but thats what the manual is for.

8v FTW...i got the cd5100 altho it only has 5v pre outs....but it has time alignment so im happy for that...

DAT 4125------>RE XXX comps active

Eclipse cd7000

I serve drunks for a living :D