Sonic Electronix

I enjoy building boxes, infact i sell systems as fast as I buy them cuz i just enjoy building them and listning, but my carpeting skills suck (practicing, but dun have enough boxes to practice on) and one thing that i have trouble with is how to attach the carpet. I have been using just plain 3m spray on adhesive with felt from the local store (not the best combo probably) but after a while is just seems to come un attached so i place a staple on edges out of site but its still loppy. I love the way they sound but i dun like how they look. also, what do you spray in the ports and how do oyu spray the top after its on to make it seem smothe on the outside?

thank you,

Derek

I enjoy building boxes, infact i sell systems as fast as I buy them cuz i just enjoy building them and listning, but my carpeting skills suck (practicing, but dun have enough boxes to practice on) and one thing that i have trouble with is how to attach the carpet. I have been using just plain 3m spray on adhesive with felt from the local store (not the best combo probably) but after a while is just seems to come un attached so i place a staple on edges out of site but its still loppy. I love the way they sound but i dun like how they look. also, what do you spray in the ports and how do oyu spray the top after its on to make it seem smothe on the outside?

thank you,

Derek

Use a strong 3M spray glue(i think its like 92 grade or something).....Spray both the box and the carpet...Let the glue set for about 2-3min until its real tacky....then stretch your carpet and push it down....If you are using the right carpet and the right glue you should be good. Most people dont wait for the glue to set and thats what im guessing your problem is.

For the port you use just some 97 cent wal-mart black spray cans. and im not sure what you mean by "spraying the top"...can you elaborate?

2001 Blazer

Pioneer 5900IB - (2) DC Level 3 10"s - Sundown 1500D

dc_sig.gif

sweet thanks, i dunno what grade i have is, but it seams to dry really quick after spraying it. and your spray part answered my question. i didnt know if there was anything special to spray. what type of fabric is best for carpeting cuz I just go to the fabric store so its more like a felt or something, is that a bad fabric for it or does that work just fine too?

Anything that looks good and sticks on works. I'm actually considering trying felt because it feels like exactly the same thing as non-backed trunk liner, and it's as stretchy if not more so.

A couple links to some box builds:

Tahoe Box 1, Tahoe Box 2, Nissan Titan, VW GTI,

Mini-Bump, Hummer H2, Ford F-150

My own car builds (current setup --- under construction):

Overall Thread, Kickpods, Dash, Back Doors

Subwoofer Wall

I always use 3M Super 77 for carpet. you have to spray both the carpet & the box & let them sit for a minute or so just like cloak described. this is called flashing. when both surfaces are sticky as hell, lay the carpet down. I usually paint the inside of my ports with primer & black paint.

dj2q.jpg

Jared Nixon  A.K.A. Jsmoke

My Car Stereo Website: 3rd Coast Customs

My Fishing Website: BigLake411.com

Add me as a friend: Myspace

Download: Check out my Audio Calculations Spreadsheet (Microsoft Excel)

ATTENTION ALL SMD MEMBERS: Do not under any circumstance buy anything from Chassistech! They do not stand behind their products & their customer service is horrible. They do not actually manufacture lowering springs, they drop ship them from Spring Tech. Chasistech.com also does business as Airbagit.com, Streetridepro.com & Truckinsuspension.com. They are all the same company! Do not trust these bastards! Their products are cheap & more often than not, you don't get what you actually order in the first place! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

cool thanks for all the help, this and the carpeting tutorial have been a big help so hopefully my new box will look good, ill have to post a pic of it when its done being carpeted.

thanks!

Archived