i only have been using my gateway laptop since christmas, and its going quite slow, no viruses or anything, so im thinking of putting my good files on an external hard drive and reinstalling vista, any other options, or ideas?

LHATT

System:

2 mtx 4512's, 2 cubes each, tuned to 42hz

how many processes do you have running, how much ram, etc.

go to run > msconfig and see what you have under startup items, uncheck unneeded crap... uncheck things like windows defender, shit like that that is using resources that you dont need them to be. i dont have shit running on mine except antivirus, i hate extra stuff running in the background if im not actually using the program lol

you can also go under services tab, and check hide all microsoft services and uncheck needed things there as well.. as long as hide all microsoft services is checked, it wont harm your system

*edit

also defrag your whole system once in awhile, it really helps...

Edited by Army_guy614

The DC Integra 3 18s to 6 15 build log

Team_DC-Derrick's Youtube

Team DC Audio

where theres a will theres a wall.......

I just realized Steve has reach Voldemort status, over on JP's site he is the one who will not be named....."We dont speak his name over here, fearing it will destroy us" LOL not even in hush tones

how many processes do you have running, how much ram, etc.

go to run > msconfig and see what you have under startup items, uncheck unneeded crap... uncheck things like windows defender, shit like that that is using resources that you dont need them to be. i dont have shit running on mine except antivirus, i hate extra stuff running in the background if im not actually using the program lol

i have my startup programs down to what i need, got 3gbs of ram, and a 2.0GHz processor, does windows defender slow it down that much?, becaause that is what im using to protect my computer, i had a free trial of windows live onecare but it expired like a week ago and i had to switch back to windows defender

LHATT

System:

2 mtx 4512's, 2 cubes each, tuned to 42hz

if you havent done that, this has nothing to do with the regular startup stuff.. its actual programs that start up in the background and eat up system resources

Team DC Audio

I just realized Steve has reach Voldemort status, over on JP's site he is the one who will not be named....."We dont speak his name over here, fearing it will destroy us" LOL not even in hush tones

myself haven't had much luck with vista, my girls laptop runs it and its slow (has better cpu and ram then my desk top) and my moms has vista too and about same as my desk top, i got xp pro on my desk top and run and open programs like 20 times faster then they can but my buddy has vista on his laptop and that thing just flys... for be your cpu doesn't have enough bus speed or cache to run it at its full out put? but ya your not only one with this problem if it makes you feel any better

ive never had an issue with vista on my machines even running 1gb ram, after i edit startup and things how i want it, not how windows wants it lol

i forgot to mention the services as the other guy said...check "hide all microsoft services" and disable them all and restart and just see how it runs. if its alot better, go back in and turn on just the services you need.

ive never had an issue with vista on my machines even running 1gb ram, after i edit startup and things how i want it, not how windows wants it lol

i forgot to mention the services as the other guy said...check "hide all microsoft services" and disable them all and restart and just see how it runs. if its alot better, go back in and turn on just the services you need.

i'll have to try this later cuz ya bugs hell out me of when i go to use the lap top, hope it works for o.p. too :)

yeah me either, i disable all the startup stuff, i never need that junk anyways, and i hide all the microsoft services and disable everything else under the services tab LOL... it boosts up speed about 10 fold on vista

also, click ont he windows trash, right click on my computer and click properties.. go into advanced system settings...

under the advanced tab, the performance square box, click settings and disable all that, it eats up alot of resources as well

Team DC Audio