Explosivesound Posted July 18, 2009 Report Posted July 18, 2009 I think Ive figured out my box and can start building but I thought I would run it by everyone. I need 6^3 net. .75" MDF Box is W30" x H20" X D24." Sub displaces .30^3 and my port is 8"x5"x 10" long. I come up to 5.955^3 net.
Decaf Posted July 18, 2009 Report Posted July 18, 2009 ive got [email protected] secondly, u need way more port area
Explosivesound Posted July 18, 2009 Author Report Posted July 18, 2009 How do I get it as close to 6^3 net as possible? Atomic says to use the 40sq.in. x 10"long for 32hz. and no port noise.
Explosivesound Posted July 18, 2009 Author Report Posted July 18, 2009 Even though they say that, is my biggest worry with this box going to be port noise? If so why would Atomic rec. such low port area. Is it because they want you to run 5000rms and more port area will damage the sub? Im so confused.
Explosivesound Posted July 19, 2009 Author Report Posted July 19, 2009 bump! I am so confused. Ive read I need 12-14 sq. in. port per ^3 yet Atomic insists upon 40sq. in. x10"long. for 6^3 net. How the hell does that make sense? They insist upon it and even say dont listen to anyone about it do what they say. But I cant understand why. It goes against everything Ive read on here.
Boon Posted July 19, 2009 Report Posted July 19, 2009 Atomics boxes work. Don't know why. They just do. They love huge boxes with smallish ports. Are you the guy with the APX18? I'm TELLING you, .75" mdf is NOT enough for that sub unless you're going to brace the shit out of it with 4x2's and glass the whole inside. The box will flex something nasty. I got box flex in a .75 box with a 1.5" baffle with just an AP12. 10.x volts fo' life!
Explosivesound Posted July 19, 2009 Author Report Posted July 19, 2009 Yes I know its not enough. Im doing 1.5" all around and 2.25 for the baffle. I just figured it on .75 because I can add layers over that so that the air space is the same! It sounds like you know what you are talking about having had experience. so I will stick to the rec. specs. Time to build Ill post pics. when Im done. Thanks!
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.