Second Skin Audio

enclosure questions, 4 type r 12's

98crewcab

Ok, so getting things going and have a few questions. I currently have 4 type r 12's, basically, 2 in each enclosure (2 combined enclosures) Each enclosure is 3.531 cuft internal, with 43.75 square incehes of port tuned to 38 hz. I inverted the subs to gain that .25 of internal space and liked the difference.

My first question....Would adding poly fill help even more?

2nd........would lengthening my ports help lower my hz?

(not meaning to double post, was told to post it here instead)

and thanks for any input :)

06 2500hd, 6.0L, 4l80e, 4wd, (muah work truck)

7" BDS HC lift kit

(5) 37x13.5R18 Toyo Open Country M/Ts

(5) 18x10 Moto Metal MO962

tablet in lieu of deck

blue tooth interconnect to soundstream eq (for volume control and bass control)

4 Alpine type r 10's

6 cubes net, 80sqin's port, tuned to 33hz

2 brutus brx5000.5's

2 pairs 3" polk audio for a pillars

4 pairs polk audio 6.5 comps

1 pair 8" polk audio for mids

2 xspower d3400 batteries

.....learning alot from meade and his circle of some of the baddest installers ive seen- thanks guys, for not being so cocky and posting the way it should be done!

P.S. Thanks Steve....for the demo!!!! loud as fauk!

Um a far as the polyfill goes, since its a vented enclosure, IMO polyfill is no good. For one, the polyfill could fly out of the port, or fly into the voice coils = not good. Anyway I believe and correct me if Im wrong, but polyfill is mainly used for sealed enclosures to create the illusion of more "volume" and to help absorb some the heat generated since it cannot escape w/o a port. There is really no way of securing a loose material like polyfill in a vented enclosure, besides an adhesive spray and stick the stuff to that, but the results prolly wouldnt be super great. I have heard of stapling fiberglass padding to the walls of a vented enclosure. Maybe that is more up your ally, but some people again fear of fiber threads getting into the woofers themselves. From what Ive read, any advantage polyfill has in a sealed enclosure is pretty much non existent is a vented one.

Correct me if Im wrong Please.

About the port tuning, IDK :P

Sweet Build Btw

P4Killer.

Setup:

2010 Hyundai Elantra

Factory Unit via 4 chan NVX LOC

Excessive Amperage "H/O" Alt

Xs D3400/ Xs XP3000

Big 3. 2 Runs of +, 2 Runs of -

DD M3b and 2 12" AQ HDC4s

Um a far as the polyfill goes, since its a vented enclosure, IMO polyfill is no good. For one, the polyfill could fly out of the port, or fly into the voice coils = not good. Anyway I believe and correct me if Im wrong, but polyfill is mainly used for sealed enclosures to create the illusion of more "volume" and to help absorb some the heat generated since it cannot escape w/o a port. There is really no way of securing a loose material like polyfill in a vented enclosure, besides an adhesive spray and stick the stuff to that, but the results prolly wouldnt be super great. I have heard of stapling fiberglass padding to the walls of a vented enclosure. Maybe that is more up your ally, but some people again fear of fiber threads getting into the woofers themselves. From what Ive read, any advantage polyfill has in a sealed enclosure is pretty much non existent is a vented one.

Correct me if Im wrong Please.

About the port tuning, IDK :P

Sweet Build Btw

P4Killer.

sweet, thanks for the info. so I will just stick with lengthening the ports to get lower frequencies.

06 2500hd, 6.0L, 4l80e, 4wd, (muah work truck)

7" BDS HC lift kit

(5) 37x13.5R18 Toyo Open Country M/Ts

(5) 18x10 Moto Metal MO962

tablet in lieu of deck

blue tooth interconnect to soundstream eq (for volume control and bass control)

4 Alpine type r 10's

6 cubes net, 80sqin's port, tuned to 33hz

2 brutus brx5000.5's

2 pairs 3" polk audio for a pillars

4 pairs polk audio 6.5 comps

1 pair 8" polk audio for mids

2 xspower d3400 batteries

.....learning alot from meade and his circle of some of the baddest installers ive seen- thanks guys, for not being so cocky and posting the way it should be done!

P.S. Thanks Steve....for the demo!!!! loud as fauk!

• 2 weeks later...

This is what Kicker has to say on the subject...

Polyfil.jpg

But what do they know... I mean has anyone ever heard of these guys anyway?! :acute:

03' Reg Cab 2500HD

Alpine 9807 H/U

Infinity Ref 6.5" Front Speakers

Pioneer 4"x6" Rear Speakers

Quantum Audio 1100.1 Amp

PPI 5 Channel Amp

Kicker 05' S12L5's <~ thats plural baby

Ive always thought about chicken wire... hmm sounds interesting.. Google polyfill and do some reading, Kicker is ok with it, I read some other stuff but IDK to each his own :P

Setup:

2010 Hyundai Elantra

Factory Unit via 4 chan NVX LOC

Excessive Amperage "H/O" Alt

Xs D3400/ Xs XP3000

Big 3. 2 Runs of +, 2 Runs of -

DD M3b and 2 12" AQ HDC4s

Archived