Sonic Electronix

119602530.jpg

This is my RF Power 1000. It does a great job powering my pair of 12" eD 13Kv.2's (yes, their is two 12"s in that box) my pair of 8" mid-bass drivers, and my pair of Polk Audio component mids + highs.

But I'm getting bored, and want a new toy.

Right now, my two choices are;

1) building a big ass t-line, for both of my 12"s, which will more or less require a wall (but I'm not really scared of that idea).

Or 2) a couple 15"s, in another tuned port enclosure (which ironically, would require less space than the 12"s in a t-line, so would not need a wall... just a larger enclosure)

So, I'm kind of about half way in between an SPL and a SQ guy. An SQL wannabee I guess :rolleyes:

Now, I think I prefer to run my sub channel at 2ohms, for efficiency, and a longer life for the amp..... So that means I'm only working with about 700 watts RMS for my subs.

What are some choices for subs which sound pretty good, but get pretty loud too...... and that will do that with a measley 350 wts RMS each ?

What do you guys think about Alpine Type R's ?

Or heck, I'm pretty happy with my eD's.... so how about 16Ov's ?

What other choices would you suggest ?

Thank you,

Fish

I like my RE SEs. Rated at 600W RMS each though. So you'd only give them about half power.

But they are like SQL to me. I've read that the Type R's sound bad at higher volumes but are louder. I haven't tested them myself though.

2 RE SE @ 32Hz

AQ 1200D

Image Dynamics Ctx65cs

Hifonics Zxi6008

Hey Fender, right on. I'm going to go look at those RE SE's again right now.

Hey Crump, I know if I went with only one 15", it would give me quite a few more choices, for bigger, badder subs, as now I would have twice the power available for it {and I do like those Fi's}. However, if I went with only one 15" sub, as opposed to the two 12" subs I'm running now, my surface area would barely change. Now, I know their are a lot of other variables, such as length of throw, that will contribute to loudness.... and yes, I understand that one 15" (the right 15", and setup correctly) could be a little louder... cleaner ?) than my two 12"s.

However, I would think, that two 15"s (again, the right 15"s, and setup correctly) could "more easily" be louder.... and "maybe" cleaner, than my two 12"s (but the 'cleaner' part is going to be the stretch, as my 12"s do sound really musical).

Thanks guys,

Anybody else ?

Fish

Edited by Fish Chris

More surface area = louder....as long as your running the same power.

That amp probably puts 1.2k down @ 1 ohm, so I would say get 2 DC level 3 15's....Maybeh?

SUCCESS is a decision, NOT a dream. You have to name the price you are willing to pay to get it.

"You didn't have an ice pick on you? Amateur. " -- Wax from Fchat.

Hey Vista

More surface area = louder....as long as your running the same power.

Agreed.

That amp probably puts 1.2k down @ 1 ohm

Actually, my birthsheet only shows 935wts @ 1ohm..... and then, its quite a bit more efficient at 2 ohms + easier on the amp longer life) So, I'm leaning strongly towards the 2 ohm load, with only 705 wts RMS.

Still, I was checking out those Fi's and they look great. I'm thinking that 350 wts should get them moving pretty well, and maybe I could get a stronger amp later.

BTW > Why don't speaker companies ever tell you the optimum square inches of port area for a speaker ???

Unless it's buried in here somewhere....

SSD15

DUAL 1 | DUAL 2

Fs: 25.9 Hz | 25.3 Hz

Re: 0.75 Ohms/coil | 1.5 Ohms/coil

Qms: 4.78 | 4.89

Qes: .65 | ..58

Qts: .57 | .52

Mms: 246g | 258g

Cms: 0.15mm/N | 0.15mm/N

Sd: 810cm^2 | 810cm^2

Vas: 141.3 l | 141.3 l

Spl: 87.6dB 1W/1m | 87.8dB 1W/1m

Bl: 9.3 N/A | 00.0 N/A

Xmax: 21mm

Rms: 800W

Sealed box: N/A cuft

Ported box: 3-4 cuft @ 33Hz

Sub OD: 15.625”

Cut ID: 14.125”

Mounting depth: 8.000”

Displacement: 0.17cuft

Ported enclosures are simple and fun to calculate, but the square port area is obviously important, and I can never freaking find it :-( Always have to call or e-mail for an answer. They kill me with that !

Peace,

Fish

Edited by Fish Chris

119602530.jpg

This is my RF Power 1000. It does a great job powering my pair of 12" eD 13Kv.2's (yes, their is two 12"s in that box) my pair of 8" mid-bass drivers, and my pair of Polk Audio component mids + highs.

But I'm getting bored, and want a new toy.

Right now, my two choices are;

1) building a big ass t-line, for both of my 12"s, which will more or less require a wall (but I'm not really scared of that idea).

Or 2) a couple 15"s, in another tuned port enclosure (which ironically, would require less space than the 12"s in a t-line, so would not need a wall... just a larger enclosure)

So, I'm kind of about half way in between an SPL and a SQ guy. An SQL wannabee I guess :rolleyes:

Now, I think I prefer to run my sub channel at 2ohms, for efficiency, and a longer life for the amp..... So that means I'm only working with about 700 watts RMS for my subs.

What are some choices for subs which sound pretty good, but get pretty loud too...... and that will do that with a measley 350 wts RMS each ?

What do you guys think about Alpine Type R's ?

Or heck, I'm pretty happy with my eD's.... so how about 16Ov's ?

What other choices would you suggest ?

Thank you,

Fish

have you thought about the soundstream rubicon? my buddys shop just put the pxw subs that are a step down in a friends truck 8 of them to be exact and it is very loud

Teamflexissueslong.jpg

06 chrysler 300C Hemi

one mmatts dreadnaut 15 powered by a planet audio vx 2200d

fosgate p200 running planet audio 8" midbass drivers and super compression tweeters

stock battery and a stinger spv44

Irragi 300 amp alternator

big 3 1/0

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/55075-system-in-my-300c/page__view__findpost__p__763656__fromsearch__1

Hey Keepinit, I had not, but I will go check those out now.

Thanks,

Fish

Hey, I just checked those out. Not bad looking subs. Remind me of Kickers. I do like how much info Soundstream provides for building the enclosures... sm, med, and lg, and porting for each. Other companies need to take notes.

http://www.soundstream.com/AudioProducts/S...ers/rubicon.htm

Edited by Fish Chris

Hey Keepinit, I had not, but I will go check those out now.

Thanks,

Fish

Hey, I just checked those out. Not bad looking subs. Remind me of Kickers. I do like how much info Soundstream provides for building the enclosures... sm, med, and lg, and porting for each. Other companies need to take notes.

http://www.soundstream.com/AudioProducts/S...ers/rubicon.htm

what ever sub or subs you decide to use you have a good amp to start with

Teamflexissueslong.jpg

06 chrysler 300C Hemi

one mmatts dreadnaut 15 powered by a planet audio vx 2200d

fosgate p200 running planet audio 8" midbass drivers and super compression tweeters

stock battery and a stinger spv44

Irragi 300 amp alternator

big 3 1/0

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/55075-system-in-my-300c/page__view__findpost__p__763656__fromsearch__1