Need a new computer.......

Okay guys, I have about $500 to spend, and that needs to include ship + handle + tax + operating system...... and honestly, I'd WAY rather use XP (that I'm familar with) anyway, rather than the high priced Vista, that I hear all kinds of crap talked about.....

What do I need ? Well, I do a lot of digital photo work, and would like to do some video in the future.

Zero gaming.

I don't necessarily need a ton of memory to start with, but it needs to be expandable / upgradeable. In fact, I would really like a PC in which pretty much all parts of it are upgradeable / replaceable. A good graphics card is probably important to me for my photo work.

I don't need a monitor. And I don't need a keyboard, mouse, or speakers.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And hey now, what would be the problem with something like this ????

http://www.compusa.com/applications/search...=11&NoMapp=

Really good price.... all put together, and ready to go....

And I REALLY like this > Hey 98crewcab, read this >

American Products and American Jobs

Systemax PCs are not made in some nameless plant in China. Our PCs are manufactured at our facilities in Ohio, and shipped from our distribution center outside of Chicago. Systemax chose to manufacture from its base in Fletcher, Ohio, to help hold the line and keep technology jobs inside the U.S. Systemax also supports their products from their own support centers in America, not India or somewhere else. So next time you look at a PC, look beyond the features to the place of manufacture, and the people that made it. Which PC company is 100% American? Systemax!

Hmmmm,

Fish

BTW, that link I showed for the Systemax above got 5 stars for 92 reviews ! The next one up > http://www.compusa.com/applications/search...=11&NoMapp= ...is prettier ;) and still inside my price range, but only had 1 review ? Maybe a newer model ?

Okay guys, I have about $500 to spend, and that needs to include ship + handle + tax + operating system...... and honestly, I'd WAY rather use XP (that I'm familar with) anyway, rather than the high priced Vista, that I hear all kinds of crap talked about.....

What do I need ? Well, I do a lot of digital photo work, and would like to do some video in the future.

Zero gaming.

I don't necessarily need a ton of memory to start with, but it needs to be expandable / upgradeable. In fact, I would really like a PC in which pretty much all parts of it are upgradeable / replaceable. A good graphics card is probably important to me for my photo work.

Hmmmm,

Fish

ok if you give me a few days i can check what i can get for you at frys (i get a employee discount) prolly i can get u a tri or a quad core with 4gb ram and windows 7 prolly with a ati 4850 (photoshop cs4 uses it)

Zero gaming.

Hmmmm,

Fish

BTW, that link I showed for the Systemax above got 5 stars for 92 reviews ! The next one up > http://www.compusa.com/applications/search...=11&NoMapp= ...is prettier ;) and still inside my price range, but only had 1 review ? Maybe a newer model ?

HMMMM< thanks bro,lol! suprised there was actually one in the states- will have to read up on it :yahoo:

06 2500hd, 6.0L, 4l80e, 4wd, (muah work truck)

7" BDS HC lift kit

(5) 37x13.5R18 Toyo Open Country M/Ts

(5) 18x10 Moto Metal MO962

tablet in lieu of deck

blue tooth interconnect to soundstream eq (for volume control and bass control)

4 Alpine type r 10's

6 cubes net, 80sqin's port, tuned to 33hz

2 brutus brx5000.5's

2 pairs 3" polk audio for a pillars

4 pairs polk audio 6.5 comps

1 pair 8" polk audio for mids

2 xspower d3400 batteries

.....learning alot from meade and his circle of some of the baddest installers ive seen- thanks guys, for not being so cocky and posting the way it should be done!

P.S. Thanks Steve....for the demo!!!! loud as fauk!

i just built the comp im on now, all in all i spent about 900 dollars, quad core cpu, 6 gigs of ram, geforce 9600 video card, 800 watt modular power supply, windows vista ultimate (wich i ditched for windows 7 64bit) two dvd burners (wanna buy some movies? lol) decent mother board and bad ass case, i had never built one before and i had this thing up and running in two hours after the ups guy left my house. I think its still the best way to go, if you where to try and buy a pre made pc of the same class as mine you would spend upwards of 1500 dollars. You can still legally use windows 7 for free until july of next year. O yea, i also got a razor lycosa mirror special edition keyboard (dont recomend it) and a microsoft sidewinder mouse(mouse is awesome!!). The windows vista ultimate was only about 180 bucks. Building one yourself is still the best bet, but that just my opinion, and if you have a decent knowledge of computers you dont have to worry about compatability issues. Dell, HP, Compaq, all of them, throw a bunch of junk together and sell it to you for way too much if you ask me.

EDIT* a good site i found for prebuilt cheap pc's is www.ibuypower.com definetly check them out!!

i just built the comp im on now, all in all i spent about 900 dollars, quad core cpu, 6 gigs of ram, geforce 9600 video card, 800 watt modular power supply, windows vista ultimate (wich i ditched for windows 7 64bit) two dvd burners (wanna buy some movies? lol) decent mother board and bad ass case, i had never built one before and i had this thing up and running in two hours after the ups guy left my house. I think its still the best way to go, if you where to try and buy a pre made pc of the same class as mine you would spend upwards of 1500 dollars. You can still legally use windows 7 for free until july of next year. O yea, i also got a razor lycosa mirror special edition keyboard (dont recomend it) and a microsoft sidewinder mouse(mouse is awesome!!). The windows vista ultimate was only about 180 bucks. Building one yourself is still the best bet, but that just my opinion, and if you have a decent knowledge of computers you dont have to worry about compatability issues. Dell, HP, Compaq, all of them, throw a bunch of junk together and sell it to you for way too much if you ask me.

EDIT* a good site i found for prebuilt cheap pc's is www.ibuypower.com definetly check them out!!

Sweet bro- thanks tons for the info. thinking definately the way I will go. I will save up, after I finish my audio, then find someone around here that knows their chit!

What about you fish, still wanting prebuilt?

06 2500hd, 6.0L, 4l80e, 4wd, (muah work truck)

7" BDS HC lift kit

(5) 37x13.5R18 Toyo Open Country M/Ts

(5) 18x10 Moto Metal MO962

tablet in lieu of deck

blue tooth interconnect to soundstream eq (for volume control and bass control)

4 Alpine type r 10's

6 cubes net, 80sqin's port, tuned to 33hz

2 brutus brx5000.5's

2 pairs 3" polk audio for a pillars

4 pairs polk audio 6.5 comps

1 pair 8" polk audio for mids

2 xspower d3400 batteries

.....learning alot from meade and his circle of some of the baddest installers ive seen- thanks guys, for not being so cocky and posting the way it should be done!

P.S. Thanks Steve....for the demo!!!! loud as fauk!

are you gonna play pc games? are you gonna do video/photo editing? or something that needs a blazing fast pc?

if not just go for a dell, just the basic one's, look for dell coupons online, you will save money by buying dell than by assembling your own pc(this only applies to budget builds not the extreme builds)

but if you wanna try to build a pc on your own then go for it. its really fun specially overclocking.

edit: sorry i didn't read the entire OP post.

for your application just go with dell.

are you gonna play pc games? are you gonna do video/photo editing? or something that needs a blazing fast pc?

if not just go for a dell, just the basic one's, look for dell coupons online, you will save money by buying dell than by assembling your own pc(this only applies to budget builds not the extreme builds)

but if you wanna try to build a pc on your own then go for it. its really fun specially overclocking.

you can still do a budget build with the exact same parts that dell will put in the computer they sell you for alot cheaper than what they will charge you, essentially you are paying for customer service and assembly, you think dell makes the parts they put in pc's? They dont, they buy them just like me and you would, granted they dont pay as much, but the difference is made up in their mark up. Spec for spec its cheaper to build your own, if you dont need customer service it doesnt pay to pay someone to assemble.

here's a link, this is CHEAP AS HELL

http://www.cheapstingybargains.com/154222/...een-flat-panel/

$409 + shipping and it includes a 21.5" lcd monitor

you can still do a budget build with the exact same parts that dell will put in the computer they sell you for alot cheaper than what they will charge you, essentially you are paying for customer service and assembly, you think dell makes the parts they put in pc's? They dont, they buy them just like me and you would, granted they dont pay as much, but the difference is made up in their mark up. Spec for spec its cheaper to build your own, if you dont need customer service it doesnt pay to pay someone to assemble.

not really, look at the link that i just put up. OS alone costs $100, then monitor = $200, + other parts. consider that.

but like i said it only applies to budget systems.

Archived