Need a new computer.......

but I'm pretty much clueless.

It seems that "everybody, knows somebody" who builds PC's from individual parts..... And I thought I might have one of my buddies who does that, do that for me.

But the problem with that is, you start putting decent parts together, and you come up with a list that totals $700, $1000, $1200, or more, and that DOES not include a $300 operating system (Windows Vista) or 24/7/365 tech support :-(

So tell me again why it's best to build your own PC ???

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems to me that if you want one of the super powerful, gaming, specialty types of PC's.... you know, the ones that cost like $2500, from specialty websites..... and, you were so good with PC's that you didn't ever need tech support..... and the $300 operating system was worth it, because you built a $2500 PC, for $1500 total.... then it was a good deal.

But for a decent system, on a budget, a pre-packaged PC is the way to go, am I correct ?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Okay now, with that rant out of the way, can anybody recommend a decent Dell, HP, Gateway, etc, in the $600 range. I don't game at all. But I do a lot of digital photo editing, and would like to start doing some video editing. But don't know if that takes as much processing power / memory as gaming does.

One things for sure..... This 5 year old Dell I'm on now, is 3/4's full.... and slow / glitchy as hell ! I'm totally waiting for it to die any day now !

Plus, I have a big photo job coming up in less than 3 weeks, that I don't think this PC can handle ! Yikes ! Under the gun here !

Please help !

Fish

but I'm pretty much clueless.

It seems that "everybody, knows somebody" who builds PC's from individual parts..... And I thought I might have one of my buddies who does that, do that for me.

But the problem with that is, you start putting decent parts together, and you come up with a list that totals $700, $1000, $1200, or more, and that DOES not include a $300 operating system (Windows Vista) or 24/7/365 tech support :-(

So tell me again why it's best to build your own PC ???

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems to me that if you want one of the super powerful, gaming, specialty types of PC's.... you know, the ones that cost like $2500, from specialty websites..... and, you were so good with PC's that you didn't ever need tech support..... and the $300 operating system was worth it, because you built a $2500 PC, for $1500 total.... then it was a good deal.

But for a decent system, on a budget, a pre-packaged PC is the way to go, am I correct ?

Okay now, with that rant out of the way, can anybody recommend a decent Dell, HP, Gateway, etc, in the $600 range. I don't game at all. But I do a lot of digital photo editing, and would like to start doing some video editing. But don't know if that takes as much processing power / memory as gaming does.

One things for sure..... This 5 year old Dell I'm on now, is 3/4's full.... and slow / glitchy as hell ! I'm totally waiting for it to die any day now !

Plus, I have a big photo job coming up in less than 3 weeks, that I don't think this PC can handle ! Yikes ! Under the gun here !

Please help !

Fish

not saying I know anything- but I hate our DELL support, non english speaking motha%$*@'s. I will NEVER buy another. :aggressive:

06 2500hd, 6.0L, 4l80e, 4wd, (muah work truck)

7" BDS HC lift kit

(5) 37x13.5R18 Toyo Open Country M/Ts

(5) 18x10 Moto Metal MO962

tablet in lieu of deck

blue tooth interconnect to soundstream eq (for volume control and bass control)

4 Alpine type r 10's

6 cubes net, 80sqin's port, tuned to 33hz

2 brutus brx5000.5's

2 pairs 3" polk audio for a pillars

4 pairs polk audio 6.5 comps

1 pair 8" polk audio for mids

2 xspower d3400 batteries

.....learning alot from meade and his circle of some of the baddest installers ive seen- thanks guys, for not being so cocky and posting the way it should be done!

P.S. Thanks Steve....for the demo!!!! loud as fauk!

LOL :)

I remember one time after I bought my current PC, I had called Dell support and got some goofball I could barely understand. We were not getting anywhere.... so I just hung up on him, halfway through one of my own statements (you know, to make it "look like we got cut off" ;)

So, I called again, and when the lady said, "Let me connect you with one of product repr......" I cut in.... Wait ! Wait ! MAKE SURE THEY SPEAK GOOD ENGLISH !

So, I had to wait for a bit, but finally, they put some guy on that sounded totally British. Pretty strong "english" accent, but easy enough to understand. Very friendly, helpful guy. So, at the end of our talk, I Told him, "BTW, you speak very good English... Are you from Great Britain, or England" ? He laughed, and said, "Thank you sir.... But actually, I'm East Indian, and live in India" ! I was like, "Your kidding me, right" ? So he explained that he went to some kind of Christian school, where all of the instructors were of British decent..... Or something like that. Huh. Worked for me :) As long as I could understand him, I wouldn't give a $#!+ if he was born in Mbwibwi ! :) LOL

In reality though 98', do you think HP, Gateway, etc, tech support, would be any better ???

Peace,

Fish

not saying I know anything- but I hate our DELL support, non english speaking motha%$*@'s. I will NEVER buy another. :aggressive:

LOL :)

In reality though 98', do you think HP, Gateway, etc, tech support, would be any better ???

You know, damn good point. I will keep an eye on this thread as I too want to upgrade......see what some of these guys have to say.

And the english sounding indian, PRICELESS :shok:

06 2500hd, 6.0L, 4l80e, 4wd, (muah work truck)

7" BDS HC lift kit

(5) 37x13.5R18 Toyo Open Country M/Ts

(5) 18x10 Moto Metal MO962

tablet in lieu of deck

blue tooth interconnect to soundstream eq (for volume control and bass control)

4 Alpine type r 10's

6 cubes net, 80sqin's port, tuned to 33hz

2 brutus brx5000.5's

2 pairs 3" polk audio for a pillars

4 pairs polk audio 6.5 comps

1 pair 8" polk audio for mids

2 xspower d3400 batteries

.....learning alot from meade and his circle of some of the baddest installers ive seen- thanks guys, for not being so cocky and posting the way it should be done!

P.S. Thanks Steve....for the demo!!!! loud as fauk!

Personally, im of the opinion it is still best to build a computer even if it is in the $600 range. I am actually about to build a computer for a buddy in that price range, and it will actually be pretty quick.

I've built my own with good deals and parts my father had extra and saved cash. But you take risks of not having compatible parts.

The easiest build I did was for a friend, total cost was around 680$ shipped in 3 days and put it together the next night.

It was a light gaming rig, they have cooler case's and usually overkill for future upgrades, they get as cheap as 200-300$ also

here's a example of something like I built for a friend:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/ca...886|&Sort=4

Edit* try and get a combo kit with a operating system, some don't mention in great detail if it's included. I've heard great things about Windows 7, if thats in a package yet I dont know. Good luck

00' GP GT

12" Fi BTL

Build log with pic's :]

If you can name a price...I'll dig up some parts off of newegg and see what I can come up with. Are you looking for a high end gaming computer, low end gamer, mid range computer, or one just to browse the net?

1998 Honda CR-V

Installed:

1 x Kenwood KAC-9104D amp

2 x Kenwood KFC-W3012 12" subs

4 x Kenwood KFC-1682ie 3-way components

1 x Kenwood Excelon KDC-X493 head unit

My Honda Build

They still sell XP disc, I got mine for 130$ about a year ago now

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se...0&CatId=672

Holy crap. $130!!?!?!?11!?!?!!?1? *cough* Pirated *cough cough* You didn't hear me say that. :D ebay can be a good place to find budget parts and used stuff as well.

1998 Honda CR-V

Installed:

1 x Kenwood KAC-9104D amp

2 x Kenwood KFC-W3012 12" subs

4 x Kenwood KFC-1682ie 3-way components

1 x Kenwood Excelon KDC-X493 head unit

My Honda Build

Archived